Wifi Extender for Delancer

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Has anyone using Delancer had any sucess with a wifi extender?

If so, would appreciate model and brand.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
WiFi extenders boost your signal but reduce internet speed. Better use powerline ethernet adapters (discussed here earlier) or a powerful access point plugged into De Lancer modem.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Before considering a wifi extender which may or may not adequately accomplish what you want, consider this.

If the Delancer router you currently have is more than a couple years old, consider taking it back to Delancer and asking for a replacement. This equipment is not "the best" available and a newer model may give you some improvement at no cost.

If that doesn't solve the problem, consider buying a really good AC router on Amazon (4 or more antennae) and using that for your wifi (changing the Delancer router settings to operate in bridge mode and plugging your new router into that). You will get more benefit from a better router than you will from a range extender in most cases. Extender effectiveness is greatly influenced by the capabilities of the router they are connecting to. Choose a router that is able to beam signal to the connected equipment rather than just sending out a generic field of coverage.

If you buy a new router, consider purchasing a model that is dd-wrt compatible. dd-wrt is an replacement router OS that allows you access to many settings that the router manufacturers do not allow you to change in their settings interface. One of these hidden settings is a wifi transmit power range greater than offered in the traditional router setup options.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...7&keywords=router&refinements=p_36:1253506011

The router example above is not an specific endorsement for that equipment but an example of what you should be looking for with beam forming technology, more than 4 antennae and a fast wifi throughput. If I was buying a new router today, this is one I would seriously consider based on features and price. This model is not dd-wrt compatible.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
WiFi extenders boost your signal but reduce internet speed. Better use powerline ethernet adapters (discussed here earlier) or a powerful access point plugged into De Lancer modem.

Internet speeds are generally so slow here that a range extender might not be a factor in reducing speeds much.

I do agree with the suggestions CDNGRINGO made.

Still waiting for fiber optic service.......

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you can get fiber optic that is similar to the ones in Bavaro you will be set. As good or better than any in the US.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Still waiting for fiber optic service.......

Delancer has run the fiber cable in my neighborhood but it will be the New Year sometime before they get the back end connected and arrive with the new fiber modems for everyone, they say...

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Powerline works great for me but it goes to sleep, leaving a smart TV plugged in 24/7 (not on, just connected, and it draws some power in sleep mode) keeps it working well.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Powerline works great for me but it goes to sleep, leaving a smart TV plugged in 24/7 (not on, just connected, and it draws some power in sleep mode) keeps it working well.

We are talking 5 Pesos a month for electricity for 2 powerline adapters?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for the powerline adapter suggestion.  Plugged into router and into bedroom wall and internet works like charm.  Where as before signal was so weak in bedroom now 5.  For anyone wanting to buy Amazon just lowered price to $16.99.