Message windeguy

somercfoam

Nov 19, 2017
Hi,

Not sure where you ask this... Sorry in advanced if it's not related to this forum.
I wanted to write a message to windeguy - a user from this forum, but don't have permissions. Do any of you know how?

Btw, in case windeguy can see this, or you know how to pass the message to him, I posted the a question in this forum under: Need-SP-III-compatible-transmission-fluid

It's an old post from 2004 he opened regarding transmission fluid... he faced the same problem I now have and I posted a question he might know how to answer.

Thanks!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is interesting that supposedly compatible versions of transmission fluid for Hyundai and Kia vehicles is not available on the island.

In my 2003 Santa Fe, the local "transmission" expert, Tinte in Puerto Plata, recommends the following:

Kendall Dexron III H transmission fluid ($230 RD per quart) change at 35,000 KM intervals. I have 150,000 KM on the Santa Fe, probably 100,000 KM of that on Kendall Dexron III H and it shifts well.

For later model Kia/Hyundai models, not sure of the cut off year, he recommended Shell S5 SPIAX ($300 RD/quart) for Kia Sorento, which is synthetic at 90,000 M

There are other supplemental additive lubricants that can be added to some basic transmission fluids in order to replicate the characteristics of SP3, but you would have to order those from the US, or order SP3 if you really want to use what Hyundai and Kia specify. If you are under warranty, I recommend you have the changes done by the dealer in any event.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is interesting that supposedly compatible versions of transmission fluid for Hyundai and Kia vehicles is not available on the island.

In my 2003 Santa Fe, the local "transmission" expert, Tinte in Puerto Plata, recommends the following:

Kendall Dexron III H transmission fluid ($230 RD per quart) change at 35,000 KM intervals. I have 150,000 KM on the Santa Fe, probably 100,000 KM of that on Kendall Dexron III H and it shifts well.

For later model Kia/Hyundai models, not sure of the cut off year, he recommended Shell S5 SPIAX ($300 RD/quart) for Kia Sorento, which is synthetic at 90,000 M

There are other supplemental additive lubricants that can be added to some basic transmission fluids in order to replicate the characteristics of SP3, but you would have to order those from the US, or order SP3 if you really want to use what Hyundai and Kia specify. If you are under warranty, I recommend you have the changes done by the dealer in any event.

Universal Dexron VI Synthetic Transmission Lubricant by Motul USA is what I use in my 2007 Santa Fe and is available in two or three different places here in Jarabacoa.

somercfoam

Nov 19, 2017

Thanks!
I looked up the spec for Shell S5 SPIAX. It pretty much says that it's good for all cars - ever:)
tdc.ge/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/3_SPIRAX_S5_ATF_X.pdf

I also found online this guy who has Hyundai accent 2009 and run it with Dexron III for 48,000km with no issues.
hyundai-forums.com/nf-2006-2010-sonata/452682-using-atf-dexron-iii-instead-psf4.html

That's a Youtube video showing how to replace the fluid:
youtube.com/watch?v=usgiBQRq5q8

The transmission on the Santa fe is also 4 speed, so hopefully it'll be ok.
I think that I'll just leave the Dexron III in for the next 20,000-30,000km and next time put in Shell S5 SPIAX or maybe get some SP III by then.

If I won't have any issues I might just put in Dexron III again.

somercfoam

Nov 19, 2017
Universal Dexron VI Synthetic Transmission Lubricant by Motul USA is what I use in my 2007 Santa Fe and is available in two or three different places here in Jarabacoa.

Thanks, I just looked up the spec for Santa Fe 2007 and see it's a 5 speed transmission, so there might be a difference...

Why do you put Dexron VI and not Dexron III or SP III?

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
There is very little difference in the fluids. Any transmission fluid will do. Yes, the dealer is going to recommend their fluid.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Thanks, I just looked up the spec for Santa Fe 2007 and see it's a 5 speed transmission, so there might be a difference...

Why do you put Dexron VI and not Dexron III or SP III?

There is very little difference in the fluids. Any transmission fluid will do. Yes, the dealer is going to recommend their fluid.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

It is quite a controversial topic when you search the automotive forums. If you have a warranty, do have it changed at the dealer. THere are claims that the lubricity must exactly match the transmission's characteristics.

somercfoam

Nov 19, 2017
It is quite a controversial topic when you search the automotive forums. If you have a warranty, do have it changed at the dealer. THere are claims that the lubricity must exactly match the transmission's characteristics.

Yes, messing with the warranty is a bad idea... my Hyundai i30 2010 has no warranty and so the search for the right transmission fluid began. And it's such a controversial topic that even when i called several dealerships they gave me contradicting info. And some didn't even know what to put.
Some even told me the fluid type should be ATF! (which stands for automatic transmission fluid) so that means they have no clue about transmission fluids, they just put what they're told, And tell everyone that any other option is a huge mistake that will cost them millions in the future. The relation between their confidence level to what they actually know is scarry.

The only 2 people i found that gave actual poof said Dexron III was good for 30,000++ km - one is windeguy and the other is the youtube guy i mentioned above.
I never found someone who said he put Dexron instead of SP III and it killed his transmission.
So I think, if anything, it might hurt it more then SP III in the long run - but that will be almost impossible to prove becuase so would driving aggressively, not checking the fluid level, not replacing old fluid etc...
So if I found people that drove tens of thousands of kms and it did 0 harm to the transmission, and the previous owner already put Dexron III, I think I'll leave it until the next fluid change.
And who knows, maybe even put Dexron in again...
Because as windeguy said, he went 100,000 km with Dexron III when the car manual said to use SP III and the car shifts well.