Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 117
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    35,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Do You Ever Bark at Locals?

    I rarely do.

    Then Monday practocally morphed into Falling Down. I witnessed baloney all over and I couldn't hold my tongue. Fortunately, no one pulled a gun in protest.

    First came a visit to a mechanic. While we milled around, a young teenager appeared and started kicking a puppy. First kick got my attention. Second kick got me on my feet moving his direction quickly. Third kick made me yell "Joven, cesar!" He looked at me, the pup cowering at his feet, and kicked ther pup in the head. I moved quickly, Alida moved quickly and the kid started running up the street. Alida caught him. He claimed the dog was deaf and kicking him was the only way to get him out of the street. A lecture by the more calm Alida ensued and the kid left with stooped shoulders. The dog was OK. I reached down to pet him and he tucked his tail in tewrror and slinked away. I suspect he's had a really sad life, and such a cutie.

    Then we had lunch at Subway parking in front. I was helping Mom CB get into the back seat when a concho stopped on the street, and as the back seat passenger were doing the concho-stop boogie, the driver tossed a bag of garbage through the front passenger window. I walked over, picked it up and tossed it back in. The young punk driver, looking surprised, tossed it out again defiantly. OK. Fine. I picked it up, held the bottom of the bag, and dumped the contents on the front seat, rice, bones, mushy platanos, everything. He looked totally shocked,...and drove off. I watched him cruise down the street and stop twice. I didn't see him throw out any more garbage.

    Finally came the Price Smart run. I appreciate the numerous handicapped spaces in front since Mom CB has difficult feet and uses a cane for the short distances she can walk. But that evening the spaces were jammed full, zero available handicapped spaces. So we parked a long way away, and Mom CB said she'd stay in the car because the entrance was too far away. It was a sacrifice since she enjoys shopping days in Santiago. As we walked toward the entrance, a handicapped space opened just feet from the front door, a car pulls in, and three large, tall, strapping young guys get out...right in front of us. I stopped and pointed to the sign and blue paint in the space and said, twice, "solo para discapacitados." They looked guilty and the driver seemed to get back into the driver's seat, so we walked to the entrance of the store. I looked back, and the guys were walking to the store avoiding eye contact. No prob. I walked back out and got the license plate, went in, asked for the manager and explained what happened. The manager was perturbed, saying they've tried everything to keep spaces available for the handicapped, but even the guards get bribed. He did, however, hail the driver on the loudspeaker. We watched the driver come to the desk and sheepishly out the door to move his car.

    So a trifecta of p!$$ed-offedness, three hot buttons. I was triggered, but those rascals needed the Safe Spaces.

    Does anyone here ever get similarly miffed and stand their ground?

  2. Dislikes HIRAM disliked this post
  3. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    8,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good work you had a great day.

  4. #3
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not discounting the lack of a handicap parking space, perhaps you could let Mom CB off at the door and she can wait for your return from parking the car instead of waiting in the car.

    I understand the frustration fully with so many pregnant MEN taking up the pregnant parking spaces.

    I wrote one guy a ticket back in Florida when I saw him park in a handicap spot.
    His excuse was that he just park there for a second.
    I told him to give me a second so that I could write him a ticket.

    I advised an actual handicap person once as he was pulling into a handicap spot, I suggested he take the open spot right next to the handicap space and thus leave the handicap spot open for a second handicap person. He agreed and thanked me for the good suggestion.

    There is no fear of getting a ticket here, so they don´t care about taking up the handicap spaces.

    Disgraceful of them!

    Stay Calm, The Moderator is Here

  5. Likes cobraboy, AnnaC liked this post
  6. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I walked over, picked it up and tossed it back in. The young punk driver, looking surprised, tossed it out again defiantly. OK. Fine. I picked it up, held the bottom of the bag, and dumped the contents on the front seat, rice, bones, mushy platanos, everything. He looked totally shocked,...and drove off. I watched him cruise down the street and stop twice. I didn't see him throw out any more garbage.

    Does anyone here ever get similarly miffed and stand their ground?
    Seems a bit more aggressive than just standing your ground.

  7. Likes Caonabo liked this post
  8. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,004
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In Toronto it’s $450 dollar fine , if tow truck gets there in time it’s another $600 dollars to get car back from tow yard plus $200 everyday it sits in yard.. new app. soon for phone you take pic of car license plate and windscreen with car parked illegal you push button on phone cop verifies sends electronic ticket ..towing companies get a dispatch with gps coordinates your out $1000 bucks ..( tow companies are like Vultures in Toronto gone in 60 sec.. ) 

  9. Likes retiree liked this post
  10. #6
    DR1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    20,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The La Sirena stores on the south coast that I’ve been in have barricaded handicap spots, as did the Jumbo on Luperon (Santo Dgo ) the last time we were there (theirs has a chain across).   

    I’d say you had a productive day, left an impression I’m sure. 




    Administrator
    DR1.com

  11. Likes bienamor liked this post
  12. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,861
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    These are not recommended practices for a non native regardless of the foreign nation one is residing in.

  13. Likes drstock, zoomzx11 liked this post
  14. #8
    Gold
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Not discounting the lack of a handicap parking space, perhaps you could let Mom CB off at the door and she can wait for your return from parking the car instead of waiting in the car.

    I understand the frustration fully with so many pregnant MEN taking up the pregnant parking spaces.

    I wrote one guy a ticket back in Florida when I saw him park in a handicap spot.
    His excuse was that he just park there for a second.
    I told him to give me a second so that I could write him a ticket.

    I advised an actual handicap person once as he was pulling into a handicap spot, I suggested he take the open spot right next to the handicap space and thus leave the handicap spot open for a second handicap person. He agreed and thanked me for the good suggestion.

    There is no fear of getting a ticket here, so they don´t care about taking up the handicap spaces.

    Disgraceful of them!
    What kind of Uniforms did you guys have in Florida back then ?...

    I hated how they had those Brown Uniforms here in NYC... made the general Public totally disrespect such an important position , which the general public totally took for granted... I wish they would stake out those Handicap spots .. those are big Money tickets and would be a good source of needed revenue, from jack arses who need to learn some respect ..

  15. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    35,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    The La Sirena stores on the south coast that I’ve been in have barricaded handicap spots, as did the Jumbo on Luperon (Santo Dgo ) the last time we were there (theirs has a chain across).

    I’d say you had a productive day, left an impression I’m sure.
    I like the La Sirena system. In fact, after the PS manager said they'd tried "everything" I suggested the LS method and he seemed intrigued.

    So of you go to PS in Santiago and see cones in handicapped parking spaces, you now know why.

    (I do admit being a large human sometimes has its advantages.)

  16. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    35,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    These are not recommended practices for a non native regardless of the foreign nation one is residing in.
    Why not?

    I suspect the actions had more of an impact because they did come from a non-native.

  17. Likes jstarebel liked this post
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •