Do You Ever Bark at Locals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I rarely do.

Then Monday practocally morphed into Falling Down. I witnessed baloney all over and I couldn't hold my tongue. Fortunately, no one pulled a gun in protest.

First came a visit to a mechanic. While we milled around, a young teenager appeared and started kicking a puppy. First kick got my attention. Second kick got me on my feet moving his direction quickly. Third kick made me yell "Joven, cesar!" He looked at me, the pup cowering at his feet, and kicked ther pup in the head. I moved quickly, Alida moved quickly and the kid started running up the street. Alida caught him. He claimed the dog was deaf and kicking him was the only way to get him out of the street. A lecture by the more calm Alida ensued and the kid left with stooped shoulders. The dog was OK. I reached down to pet him and he tucked his tail in tewrror and slinked away. I suspect he's had a really sad life, and such a cutie.

Then we had lunch at Subway parking in front. I was helping Mom CB get into the back seat when a concho stopped on the street, and as the back seat passenger were doing the concho-stop boogie, the driver tossed a bag of garbage through the front passenger window. I walked over, picked it up and tossed it back in. The young punk driver, looking surprised, tossed it out again defiantly. OK. Fine. I picked it up, held the bottom of the bag, and dumped the contents on the front seat, rice, bones, mushy platanos, everything. He looked totally shocked,...and drove off. I watched him cruise down the street and stop twice. I didn't see him throw out any more garbage.

Finally came the Price Smart run. I appreciate the numerous handicapped spaces in front since Mom CB has difficult feet and uses a cane for the short distances she can walk. But that evening the spaces were jammed full, zero available handicapped spaces. So we parked a long way away, and Mom CB said she'd stay in the car because the entrance was too far away. It was a sacrifice since she enjoys shopping days in Santiago. As we walked toward the entrance, a handicapped space opened just feet from the front door, a car pulls in, and three large, tall, strapping young guys get out...right in front of us. I stopped and pointed to the sign and blue paint in the space and said, twice, "solo para discapacitados." They looked guilty and the driver seemed to get back into the driver's seat, so we walked to the entrance of the store. I looked back, and the guys were walking to the store avoiding eye contact. No prob. I walked back out and got the license plate, went in, asked for the manager and explained what happened. The manager was perturbed, saying they've tried everything to keep spaces available for the handicapped, but even the guards get bribed. He did, however, hail the driver on the loudspeaker. We watched the driver come to the desk and sheepishly out the door to move his car.

So a trifecta of p!$$ed-offedness, three hot buttons. I was triggered, but those rascals needed the Safe Spaces.

Does anyone here ever get similarly miffed and stand their ground?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Not discounting the lack of a handicap parking space, perhaps you could let Mom CB off at the door and she can wait for your return from parking the car instead of waiting in the car.

I understand the frustration fully with so many pregnant MEN taking up the pregnant parking spaces.

I wrote one guy a ticket back in Florida when I saw him park in a handicap spot.
His excuse was that he just park there for a second.
I told him to give me a second so that I could write him a ticket.

I advised an actual handicap person once as he was pulling into a handicap spot, I suggested he take the open spot right next to the handicap space and thus leave the handicap spot open for a second handicap person. He agreed and thanked me for the good suggestion.

There is no fear of getting a ticket here, so they don´t care about taking up the handicap spaces.

Disgraceful of them!

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I walked over, picked it up and tossed it back in. The young punk driver, looking surprised, tossed it out again defiantly. OK. Fine. I picked it up, held the bottom of the bag, and dumped the contents on the front seat, rice, bones, mushy platanos, everything. He looked totally shocked,...and drove off. I watched him cruise down the street and stop twice. I didn't see him throw out any more garbage.

Does anyone here ever get similarly miffed and stand their ground?

Seems a bit more aggressive than just standing your ground.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
In Toronto it’s $450 dollar fine , if tow truck gets there in time it’s another $600 dollars to get car back from tow yard plus $200 everyday it sits in yard.. new app. soon for phone you take pic of car license plate and windscreen with car parked illegal you push button on phone cop verifies sends electronic ticket ..towing companies get a dispatch with gps coordinates your out $1000 bucks ..( tow companies are like Vultures in Toronto gone in 60 sec.. ) 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The La Sirena stores on the south coast that I’ve been in have barricaded handicap spots, as did the Jumbo on Luperon (Santo Dgo ) the last time we were there (theirs has a chain across).   

I’d say you had a productive day, left an impression I’m sure. :laugh:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
These are not recommended practices for a non native regardless of the foreign nation one is residing in.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Not discounting the lack of a handicap parking space, perhaps you could let Mom CB off at the door and she can wait for your return from parking the car instead of waiting in the car.

I understand the frustration fully with so many pregnant MEN taking up the pregnant parking spaces.

I wrote one guy a ticket back in Florida when I saw him park in a handicap spot.
His excuse was that he just park there for a second.
I told him to give me a second so that I could write him a ticket.

I advised an actual handicap person once as he was pulling into a handicap spot, I suggested he take the open spot right next to the handicap space and thus leave the handicap spot open for a second handicap person. He agreed and thanked me for the good suggestion.

There is no fear of getting a ticket here, so they don´t care about taking up the handicap spaces.

Disgraceful of them!

What kind of Uniforms did you guys have in Florida back then ?...

I hated how they had those Brown Uniforms here in NYC... made the general Public totally disrespect such an important position , which the general public totally took for granted... I wish they would stake out those Handicap spots .. those are big Money tickets and would be a good source of needed revenue, from jack arses who need to learn some respect ..

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The La Sirena stores on the south coast that I’ve been in have barricaded handicap spots, as did the Jumbo on Luperon (Santo Dgo ) the last time we were there (theirs has a chain across).

I’d say you had a productive day, left an impression I’m sure. :laugh:
I like the La Sirena system. In fact, after the PS manager said they'd tried "everything" I suggested the LS method and he seemed intrigued.

So of you go to PS in Santiago and see cones in handicapped parking spaces, you now know why.

(I do admit being a large human sometimes has its advantages.)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
These are not recommended practices for a non native regardless of the foreign nation one is residing in.
Why not?

I suspect the actions had more of an impact because they did come from a non-native.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I applaud your actions, so many people here are so totally oblivious or out of control, that someone has to bring their behavior to their attention. 

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Sounds like a very productive day to me. I usually try to stay calm but every once in a while I do bark at the locals!

Good job!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I cringe every time a motoconcho finishes his beer while driving and just flings bottle to side of rd and shatters everywhere!
(Someone will clean it mentality..)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've had a few confrontations.

Me too, the last one of importance was when I was leaving El Choco for lunch and I saw a tall (about 6'-2") Haitian man severely beating his female companion, ripping open her plastic bag cracking her liter of Orange soda when it fell. He had her by the hair and was striking her in the back as she screamed. I sprinted across the road (To the screams of no, no vas from my own GF ).
I was thinking I'd kick him but then I realized I had on my flip flops, so I gave him a huge shove knocking him back onto his butt in the gravel. He was a good 4" taller than me but I'm 205 lbs & he was maybe 130, plus he didn't see me coming.:laugh:

He got up right away and I thought the fight was on, but a truck full of Haitian construction workers skidded to a stop just then and 3 of the workers proceeded to wail on him worse than a 60+ year old would have. I helped the frightened woman pick up what was salvageable from her torn bag and went on my way.

But I tell you if I see anyone kicking a dog I'm jumping in - I hate the way many Dominicans treat dogs. If they only knew how giving and loving dogs are. But then if most knew they wouldn't be afraid of watch dogs !

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Come and drop by my place this morning...

some worker next door started using the sledgehammer on his wall at 6:15am.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I ignore the dumb one's who do stupid things. Its not my country or
my place to tell others how to behave nor did I move down here to
police morality. This country has a very very long way to go before
the general public starts behaving better towards one another while
having respect for the natural beauty that surrounds us.

I've had a few physical altercations with people down here which could
have easily been avoided had I just turned the other cheek. Can honestly
say its just not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.