Recycling

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
After the recent several discussions on garbage & recycling.........

I wonder .......

RD is cost/cash conscious - more than most.
Deposits should work....and maybe add a wrinkle.

Beer manufacturing costs must be high with the lack of returned bottles....
less than other countries - I expect.

So -- we institute a deposit , per bottle.
I suggest the wrinkle....

Deposit of (say) 5 pesos.... get 6-7 on return...
A premium on returning....

Simpler might be - no deposit and pay a larger deposit...

But nothing beats the idea of holding their money until the bottle comes back
A ransom of sorts...

Just throwing it out...

If we can have a few pages on Chien Chauds....
Why not !!??

We are bored - aren't we ??

Feel free to move this Off Topic to get more activity...and unsupported advice/claims

hahaha

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It could work if they see pesos coming back to them.  Look at how they sell every scrap of metal to the guys driving around buying it.  

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I wonder .......

A ransom of sorts...

Just throwing it out...

Why not !!??

Feel free to move this Off Topic to get more activity...and unsupported advice/claims

hahaha
A deposit on bottles at point of purchase would have folks scouring the countryside looking for bottles. There is an outfit in Santiago that pays for plastic bottles & containers (no styrofoam), and folks bring huge quanties. Alida saves all ours. It;s amazing how much plastic we use every month.

A novel concept (not): subsidize the behavior you want to increase. Tax the behavior you want to reduce.

In that regard, I'd be 100% A-OK with the gubmint levying a high tax on styrofoam, plastic bags and other products that won't degrade to encourage vendors to use degradable products like paper & cellulose.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
A deposit on bottles at point of purchase would have folks scouring the countryside looking for bottles. There is an outfit in Santiago that pays for plastic bottles & containers (no styrofoam), and folks bring huge quanties. Alida saves all ours. It;s amazing how much plastic we use every month.

A novel concept (not): subsidize the behavior you want to increase. Tax the behavior you want to reduce.

In that regard, I'd be 100% A-OK with the gubmint levying a high tax on styrofoam, plastic bags and other products that won't degrade to encourage vendors to use degradable products like paper & cellulose.

Do you know how much they pay? Do you think the amount paid would at least cover the cost of gas or diesel if the truck came from Samana? We need to do something privately here because the government just does not care.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Do you know how much they pay? Do you think the amount paid would at least cover the cost of gas or diesel if the truck came from Samana? We need to do something privately here because the government just does not care.
They pay a bag of food & home items---5lbs. of rice, 1lb. of powdered milk, a couple of chocolate bars, a bar of kitchen soap---for 3 garbage bags of plastic.

Alida takes our plastic, usually six bags a month, and gives the food to elderly folks refered by her aunt (a nun) who need it.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

I wonder .......

A ransom of sorts...

Just throwing it out...

Why not !!??

hahaha

Thats done naturally, in the dr.
They pay a peso or 2 for each glass bottle. Brugal or presidente

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
They pay a bag of food & home items---5lbs. of rice, 1lb. of powdered milk, a couple of chocolate bars, a bar of kitchen soap---for 3 garbage bags of plastic.

Alida takes our plastic, usually six bags a month, and gives the food to elderly folks refered by her aunt (a nun) who need it.

Do you have an address, or a website ? Like for quantities, how big a bag ?

I could probably motivate my local hillbillies with that kind of carrot....... as the stick only works so and so..... ;) ;)

Thanks in advance

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Do you have an address, or a website ? Like for quantities, how big a bag ?

I could probably motivate my local hillbillies with that kind of carrot....... as the stick only works so and so..... ;) ;)

Thanks in advance
I'll find the info and post it here.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As Malko says you do get money back on Presidente bottles from the company, used to be RD$1 a bottle. The main money is paid to the dumpster divers. At every municipal dump there are crews of dumpster divers, buzos and they take all they can for resale or recycling. I think they even belong to a union for the rights to search rubbish and trash.

Matilda

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Canada has been successfully using deposit on alcohol containers for years. Of course, most alcohol sales are through provincially run beer and liquor stores. Returns are exclusively through the beer store. There should be a waY to incorporate this in DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't disagree....
just thinking of 'upping' the reward to improve the system.

Canada recylces a lot but beer & liquor bottles are separate....

Regular recycles go in the trash for treatment - no cash paid
Alcohol bottles go back to the store for a cash refund.... paid in cash

Eons ago Ontario was the envy of the world's beer industry..
a common bottle for all beer.
Every brewer used the same 'stubby' bottle, only the contents and label distinguished the brand/product.

The introduction of Coors by Molson's changed that, as I recall.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Our watchyman used to collect mountains of beer bottles on the spare land next to my place, from residents of our apartments. Every few months the guy with the truck would come and take them all away. The watchy told me he got half a peso per bottle - maybe the guy with the truck got the other half.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
With my idea....

the campos will be rico!!!

How many beer bottles do you see here with 'rub' marks ....
indicating a few trips through the bottling line??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the turnover of beer bottles is huge. presidente has a recycling plant and quite a large number of bottles in circulation are recycled. the same with rum companies.

it's a simple chain of work: a street botellero collects bottles from sidewalks and trash; he sells them to a larger botellero who has good storage capacity; beer/rum companies buy directly from large botelleros by truckloads. very efficient.

with beer specifically the return is substantial because colmados/drinks/bars get back a large percentage of the bottles they sell for immediate consumption.

occasionally we buy a container of glass coca-cola bottles and a depot in PP sells it cheaper if you bring in a container of empty bottles in exchange for a container of full bottles that it would cost to buy it outright.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes , we do.

I have a concrete block bin that we turn regularly with a pitchfork.
Vegetable scraps, lawn cuttings, etc.... no meat for fear of animals/rodents/pests

As to recycling #8dv
my intention is as much to reduce garbage as to encourage re-use.
Both will be the result of a successful program.

Looking at the DR litter and waste, I find it hard to say the current program(with little incentive) is a success model.