Personal chauffeur.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Ok, so I’ve noticed more and more people have their own chauffeur, even the “ average joe”. Just curious if anyone can chip in Pro and Cons. Of course it should be someone that actually has a “driver/chauffeur “

Jan 7, 2016
The only place I could possibly think that a personal chauffeur would be something I would consider is in Santo Domingo...And only then in a car with completely blacked-out windows in the rear and extra sound-deadening material in the doors and trunk! Just like to be able to curl-up with a nice single malt Scotch and ignore the IDIOTS on the streets and the inconsiderate drivers that abound! Oh, and excellent air conditioning, too! Perhaps a Tesla Model X with doomsday ventilation would be the ideal, too!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The only place I could possibly think that a personal chauffeur would be something I would consider is in Santo Domingo...And only then in a car with completely blacked-out windows in the rear and extra sound-deadening material in the doors and trunk! Just like to be able to curl-up with a nice single malt Scotch and ignore the IDIOTS on the streets and the inconsiderate drivers that abound! Oh, and excellent air conditioning, too! Perhaps a Tesla Model X with doomsday ventilation would be the ideal, too!

I live in SD, I wouldn't trust an idiot to drive me through all the other idiots :D I keep driving all by myself....

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Many people, including myself, have a regular taxi driver. They have a network of friends, so in the off chance he's busy, he can find somebody to fill in. Somebody with a mechanically solid vehicle and knows the hazards by which I mean the police and hard criminals. (Actually, it's been years since I've been molested by the military or the police. I don't know if they are better or I don't act like a scared rabbit anymore).

If you have your own car and live around Puerto Plata, I can recommend somebody that you can trust that knows English and some German.

Although if you own the car, you're still liable for more than your share of responsibility in a crash. IMO, You're much better off with Dominican that owns a decent car that you can trust.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When I lived in Santo Domingo this was the one of the things I used to say would improve my quality of life. We still have a couple of trusted drivers who we call on for this sort of service when we need it - airport runs, etc.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

You could roll yourself up in bubble wrap and wear a helmet....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
When I lived in the capitol I had a colonel friend who sent me a driver. (the company I worked for at the time paid for him). The first one, nice young kid couldn't drive worth a dam and the second was worse. The second guy could never figure out the dining sound was because he didn't put on his seat belt. I mentioned this to him for the millionth time on the Malecon one night. He came to an abrupt stop almost causing us to get rear ended, then another time he hit the passenger side mirror against another vehicles side mirror, he immediately said it wasn't his fault to which I replied "the other vehicle was a parked car! if not you who was at fault". Needless to say both drivers spent most of the time in the passenger seat.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a guy who works for my FIL is our occasional family chauffeur, so to speak. we use him when we need to go to the airport/doctor or get stuck somewhere without transport running errands or sometimes just to send him to santiago to service one of the cars.

in this situation it's all pros and no cons, really. he is a decent driver, shows up on time, altogether a nice guy.

general pros of chauffeur:
you don't get all worn out on a long drive;
parking is not an issue, he delivers you door to door and you call him back to pick you up;
if you are so inclined you can text, chat, watch videos and whatever else when someone else is doing the driving.

general cons, as per family members who have one working on full time basis:
it's hard to find someone who is a good driver;
when traveling long distances you need to spend extra money to provide him with food and a place to sleep;
many will try to abuse you for extra money saying that the car needs something fixed or they had to stop at a gomero and so on.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
When I lived in the capitol I had a colonel friend who sent me a driver. (the company I worked for at the time paid for him). The first one, nice young kid couldn't drive worth a dam and the second was worse. The second guy could never figure out the dining sound was because he didn't put on his seat belt. I mentioned this to him for the millionth time on the Malecon one night. He came to an abrupt stop almost causing us to get rear ended, then another time he hit the passenger side mirror against another vehicles side mirror, he immediately said it wasn't his fault to which I replied "the other vehicle was a parked car! if not you who was at fault". Needless to say both drivers spent most of the time in the passenger seat.

"He came to an abrupt stop almost causing us to get rear ended, then another time he hit the passenger side mirror against another vehicles side mirror, he immediately said it wasn't his fault to which I replied "the other vehicle was a parked car!""

Now this is funny!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Having four children of which three at an age that they have afternoon activities like soccer, gymnastics, birthday parties etc. I can understand why many families have a driver to drive their children around, however I’d never want to fall in that temptation and drive them myself (which often means I stay around or near, to drive them back since traffic is too heavy to drive back home wait half an hour and pick them up again. One of the great joys of living in a city like Santo Domingo. 

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Assuming you all pay for these services?  Can anyone tell me range of pay for a full day,-(no overnight).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
About 1,000 pesos a day is what I pay around here.... you might get it for less.

Airport runs, etc ... all day trip to STI...