iphone 7 Claro issues.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I just brought my unlocked, or so I thought, iPhone 7 to claro to get a prepago sim. After some trying, the phone came up with an error saying that the type of sim was not compatible with my phone. I bought the phone outright at Best Buy, and have been using a pre pay AT&T sim in the US.

Any ideas?

Jan 7, 2016
The same issue happened to me, except it is with my Samsung S-7 Edge, 32 GB, International Edition (both GSM and CDMA capable). I know it's not the phone, as I have successfully used it with both AT&T and Verizon in the U.S. and it worked flawlessly! Claro definitely has it's issues.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I just brought my unlocked, or so I thought, iPhone 7 to claro to get a prepago sim. After some trying, the phone came up with an error saying that the type of sim was not compatible with my phone. I bought the phone outright at Best Buy, and have been using a pre pay AT&T sim in the US.

Any ideas?

Was it an AT&T phone locked to their network, in which case there are plenty of stores that can unlock it ? An unlocked iPhone should work - for future reference buy them at your iPhone store.

Did they have to trim the sim to fit the nano size - if so this causes issues.
I think I would go to the Claro store in Puerto Plata and check - also put your old sim in to see if it's still registering, because I have seen some all thumbs representative bend some pins.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The same issue happened to me, except it is with my Samsung S-7 Edge, 32 GB, International Edition (both GSM and CDMA capable). I know it's not the phone, as I have successfully used it with both AT&T and Verizon in the U.S. and it worked flawlessly! Claro definitely has it's issues.

Some versions of the S7 Edge are not compatible with Claro's network - but all US carriers versions are.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Maybe is Huawei network the problem, try with VIVA’s simcard that is Ericsson Network, Altice is also Huawei network so maybe dont work either.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006

Any ideas?

It appears your phone is carrier locked. You can borrow someone's else SIM to rule out a "bad" SIM.

"Sim not Supported" To use your iPhone with a different carrier, you would need to contact the carrier to which the iPhone is currently locked in order to arrange for it to be unlocked (Apple does not do this). Unlocking would also be subject to that carrier's whims/policy.

Contact your carrier [url]https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/[/URL] <~ ATT online free unlock link

1. See if your carrier offers unlocking. Only your carrier (carrier to which your phone is locked to) can unlock your iPhone.
2. Contact your carrier and request an unlock. Your account might need to meet requirements for unlocking.
3. After you submit the request, it might take a few days to complete. To get your request's status, contact your carrier. After your carrier confirms that they unlocked your iPhone, follow the steps below.

If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier
Use these steps to finish unlocking your iPhone:
1. Remove your SIM card and insert the new one.
2. Set up your iPhone again.

If you don't have another SIM card to use
Use these steps to finish unlocking your iPhone:
1. Back up your iPhone.
2. After you make a backup, erase your iPhone.
3. Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.

Get help

You might see this message in iTunes or on your device: "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier store."
If you see this message, use these steps:
1. Restore your iPhone to factory settings.
2. Contact your carrier to make sure that they applied the unlock in their system.
3. Restore your iPhone from a backup.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Any ideas?

If it was bought through Best Buy for AT&T network I assume it is now fully paid off ?
These is important to know. It still may be an AT&T networke locked phone.

Find the IMEI number (https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-find-iphone-imei-number-3534703/ ) and go on several websites to see if it is 'clean'.
Then you can request an unlock code through AT&T (don't lose the original sim) or go to a good cell store here they will unlock it without rooting the phone, probably 500 pesos

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Yea, I paid for it outright. Unlocked. The AT&T I got was just a pay as you go sim card. I had the AT&T service before I bought the phone.