drive by fruiting

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
I went to Santiago yesterday with a friend I picked up in Sosua.  We got back later than we wanted, there was lots of traffic by Puerto Plata where they were fixing the road and the traffic was getting backed up because only one lane was flowing.  

By the time I left Sosua for Rio San Juan it was just getting dark.  I’m pretty familiar with the route but this was my first nighttime journey.  Before I got to Gaspar Hernandez and after I left Sabaneta, in one of the little towns, somebody threw something at my car.  It felt like a mushy fruit, like an avocado or something with a lot of give.  It wasn’t a rock or an apple.  This morning we noticed a round spot on the windshield.  My maid thinks it was a tomato. It hit on the driver’s side close to the side edge.  I didn’t see it hit last night because my eyes were looking down at the road for holes.  I felt it and heard it but didn’t see it or who threw it.

My friend had warned me about stuff like this, throwing things at cars to get you to stop so they can rob you.  He mentioned even eggs as an example, which would be really hard to deal with at night because if you try to wash it with the windshield wipers, it just gets smeared all over.

It was odd I got targeted since I wasn’t the only car on the road and my windows are heavily tinted, my car came with a siren and loudspeaker in it and I had to change the windshield tint because it was presidential dark and you could barely see at night.  Whoever did it is pretty ballsy since this was probably a government car before I owned it and they had no idea who or how many people were in it.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The launcher of the projectile probably possesses a disdain for local elected officials, and mistook you and your vehicle for one. Not uncommon in certain parts of the world. If it was only a tomato, consider yourself to be fortunate.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Damn kids..., I did the same when I was a wee lad when I was bored and before I learned to fritter away my idle time pursuing the fairer sex. Don't worry about it.

And, yeah, don't stop until you can find a bombe. They always have armed guards.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I understand your concern . . . in fact I think you are pretty ballsy; in those circumstances I would have stayed over in Sosua rather than drive that road at night.

wbr

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I understand your concern . . . in fact I think you are pretty ballsy; in those circumstances I would have stayed over in Sosua rather than drive that road at night.

wbr

A giant horse in the traffic lane in the mountains outside of Bonao taught me my final lesson about driving at night.

The horse was sound asleep sideways blocking one entire lane.
I went past his nose at 70 in a Ford 4 wheel drive pick up.
The horse towered over my truck and the animal never moved as I passed.
It would have been a horrific accident and probably killed my wife as it was more on her side. I can still visualize an animal of that size coming through the windshield. The blood the bones and the guts.
Last time I drove at night in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Horses...
Built at the wrong height for car accidents...I have seen one.

They slide along the hood into the cabin...deadly.

Cows are lower but still pack a whallop.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Driving in the DR is a crapshoot at the best of times, more so at night, especially on rural roads. The odds of having some sort of accident increase significantly because of the presence of animals, potholes that could swallow a car, road construction sites with little or no signage, drunk drivers, periods of heavy rain, oncoming glaring high beam lights that limit your vision on your side of the road, etc. I’ve been hit with fruit once while passing through an Imbert side road late in the evening when I was heading back to Playa Dorada before nightfall. I didn’t stop and get out of the car to check the damage. The only damage was a minor dent in the passenger side rear door. It was a rental so I didn’t give a rats behind.There were children along the road and I chalked it up to mischief. Just another reminder of where I am and the precautions I should take. I never drive at night.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Driving anywhere in the world is a crap shoot. The statistics showing those who die, get injured or just ruin an expensive vehicle everyday prove that driving is one of the most dangerous things we do frequently.

Driving during daylight is risky and dangerous. Driving in the DR after dark, beyond foolhardy. As with all the other risk assessment decisions we make, yeah, you'll be fine, until you're not. Today, tomorrow, next month, next year...

Hopefully close calls serve as a reminder that sometimes the desire to just get home or "it's not that far" can have consequences beyond what is considered likely without the possibility of a do-over.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Driving anywhere in the world is a crap shoot. The statistics showing those who die, get injured or just ruin an expensive vehicle everyday prove that driving is one of the most dangerous things we do frequently.

Driving during daylight is risky and dangerous. Driving in the DR after dark, beyond foolhardy. As with all the other risk assessment decisions we make, yeah, you'll be fine, until you're not. Today, tomorrow, next month, next year...

Hopefully close calls serve as a reminder that sometimes the desire to just get home or "it's not that far" can have consequences beyond what is considered likely without the possibility of a do-over.

Truer words about driving in the DR at night were never spoken. Too bad the danger is compounded by blinding stadium lights on vehicles - the latest trend in stupidity. (My pet peeve of 2017)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Every time we go to Santo Domingo or Santiago I try to hurry my wife so we can get out of there before dark. The actual moutain road up to Jarabacoa in the dark isn't so bad, other than the blinding lights.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's not so much driving at night that's bad, the retina-searers aside (compounded by early cataract growth.)

It's driving at night from sundown to maybe two hours past sundown when the post happy hour drunks are all over the the roads. After they get home the roads at night have few vehicles.

It's the motos sans lights that require attention at night.

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
I won’t be driving this route at night again, I will make sure I allow plenty of time for the drive home.  I probably am too ballsy for this country sometimes.

As it was, there were idiots walking in the road in lots of places, I almost hit a dog that ran full speed in front of my car.  He had something in his mouth, maybe food he just stole, it was a very big dog.  As soon as I saw him heading for the front of my car I thought in that split second oh no I’ve just killed this dog.  But my jeepeta has all wheel drive and a phenomenal computerized braking system so when I hit the brakes hard I missed the dog.  The tires didn’t squeal on the pavement at all.  I was so relieved!  I was going pretty fast, in between other cars going really fast and I’m lucky the moto who was right behind me didn’t mash himself, either.

I have hit a couple of deer when I lived in Georgia.  Once I came around a curve at night doing 60 and this huge deer with really big antlers was standing in the middle of my lane.  I swerved and almost missed but his butt went through the driver’s side headlight, taking it clean off, and he went right over the car.  It was a Corvette is why.  I pulled over and I got out to go back and kick the deer because I was really ****ed off but he had fled, there was no sign of him.  My car had deer hair embedded in the fiberglass and it cost $2500 to fix it, about 23 years ago.  We were both lucky.  I had avoided several deer running across the road there, they usually travel in pairs, when you see the first one you have to expect the other right behind him.

Wow, sleeping horses!  I have seen plenty of cows in the road but no horses yet.

I never go out at night so it really had me on my toes and focused but like everyone said, it’s a bad idea to drive at night here.  Now that I’ve made this trip once at night I will make sure I don’t do it again.  Ironically, I seemed to encounter more cars that night than during the day on the same route.