I'm Relocating to Santo Domingo -- advice appreciated!

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Hi All--
I recently landed a job in Santo Domingo (while still living in the US) and will be moving to the DR in 3 weeks.
I would appreciate any advice on what to bring with me. I'm from Oregon so the climate alone will be totally different from what I'm used to. I'll be working in an office and would like to know what is "normal" office dress in the DR.
Any advice that could be thrown my way would be very very appreciated.

Thanks much!
Rachel

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Casual Dress for office worker...hmmmm

Any women I've met who work in offices in Santo 'Domingo do not dress casually. Most of them wear what we would call "business" dress....meaning two pc. suits or matching skirt/jacket and blouse, or skirts with blouses or sedate/demure dresses. Occasionally you will see pants suits but these are the exception rather than the rule.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
what about innoculations?

Thanks MommC! That's what I was afraid of.. We're pretty casual here in the NorthWest. : )

I'm also curious if anyone living in Santo Domingo thinks it's necessary to get innoculations before I travel there. My guidebook is pretty ambiguous about the threat of Malaria, Dengue Fever etc. etc.

I'll have medical insurance from my employer there but I'm not sure what that means in terms of real medical attention.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take a look at the "Living" section of this site.
It pretty much covers most of the questions you have and haven't thought of yet. Also the archives of the message board offer the largest source of information in regard to moving to this country available.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dress for success!

I work in a Medical complex.Pants suits are very common here.The Directora General wears pants suits and two piece suits most days,as do many other women executives.Friday is "Viernes Social",but only a few lower level emlpoyees dress casual.Uniforms are also very common here in Santo Domingo.My wife has most of her clothes "made-to-order" as there are many excellent shops available.You might want to wait and have some clothes made here after you arrive and see what women in your office wear! Much more formal here.Men where I work never take off their suit jackets!Welcome and Good Luck.Lets here more about your job,millions would like to find a job and re-locate to this,"Tropical Paradise"! Criss Colon...You should start the Hepatitis "B",and"C" series of injections before you come,and finish them up here.Very important.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Thanks Criss--

I am going to be working for PricewaterhouseCoopers in the Scotiabank building on Kennedy.
I'll be a bilingual executive assistant. It's not a very glamourous job but I'm excited about getting to relocate to the Caribbean and it pays fairly well. I applied to the job on a whim and I'm sure glad I did. I found the listing on overseasjobs.com.

: ) Rachel

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
If y ou don't mind me asking

rrwells said:
Thanks Criss--

I am going to be working for PricewaterhouseCoopers in the Scotiabank building on Kennedy.
I'll be a bilingual executive assistant. It's not a very glamourous job but I'm excited about getting to relocate to the Caribbean and it pays fairly well. I applied to the job on a whim and I'm sure glad I did. I found the listing on overseasjobs.com.

: ) Rachel

What do you consider fairly well? Is that compared to Oregon?

Regards,
Scott

NuevoDominicano

Mar 18, 2002
Dominicans as a people dress well; even if they are poor, their clothes are always clean and pressed. As theri income increases, their wardrobe does too. They never go into public very casual. Casual for a Dominican in public would usually not include jeans, or t-shirts, or sneakers. They save those for home, if they wear them.

Christine_deb

Mar 6, 2002
I have a question- did the company give you a contract? Did they work out your papers for you? I have been doing some research on relocating but people keep telling me that I pretty much have no chance of getting a job unless I am already located there...how did it happen for you?

Also- within the last 2 years there have been recorded outbreaks of Polio-get your shot in addition to the Hepatitis shots

Good luck and please respond,

Thanks

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
you took my job!

That was my job!!!! Just kidding, I can?t apply for anything until I graduate from school, but I had also seen that PriceWaterhouseCoopers ad and thouhgt that if I was applying, that would be what I was applying for.

I don?t want to be nosy but I too am a little interested in the package they gave you - could you just give us a ballpark figure on salary and benefits??? I hope you post again because I really want to know how the job turns out! What are you doing about housing?

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
sorry to be secretive

Thanks for all the questions about my salary and benefits. I don't really want to discuss it on a public message board until everything is in place -- so give me a few days and then I'll spill what I can.

johannab

Mar 16, 2002
In the same position :)

Hi Rachel!
Great question about dress code. I was just wondering the same thing. I will relocate to Santo Domingo myself in the middle of April and am just in the process of packing. I am Swedish but my boyfriend is from the same part of the world as you, Vancover near Portland, Oregon. He is actually trying to find some short time work in Santo domingo as well, because he will have three/four months before he will start a new position in DC. Maybe you have some good advise where an American can find work in Dominican Republic in any area related to external relations, policy or similar.
Hope to hear from you.
Regards,
Maria

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
everything's in place

For everyone who had questions about my salary and benefits..
Most everything is verbal at this point but they have purchased me a ticket and set up a hotel for me to stay in for a few weeks when I first get there. I understand that I'll be making a salary in the late 30s USD which is fine since I am single and only have to provide for myself. I'll let you know about my benefits when I find out more but I understand they provide health and dental and 2 weeks of paid vacation per year to start. It is very frustrating that everything is on a verbal level at this point but I think that is the way things get done in the DR and it being Semana Santa it's almost impossible to get more information. I will get to Santo Domingo on the 8th of April!!
As far as finding jobs in the DR, I used overseasjobs.com. I'm not an expert in this field because I found, applied and was accepted to this job quite by accident. I was actually very happy living in the US (although I hated my job).

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
congrats!

congratualtions!!! I am infinitely jealous of you, so when you are annoyed by some daily grind stuff in the DR, remember there is a girl somewhere who would love to be you! I hope you have a great time!

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Huh?

Hi Jazzcom,
I'm just wondering why you're sceptical. I have a sinking feeling that I'm going to get screwed over -- but, they're spending about 2500 USD just to get me there and put me up for a week, so there's another side of me that thinks they're serious. Do you think they're quoting me one salary and are going to give me the slip when I get there?
I have to have something else to worry about..

Rachel

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Congrats

Rachel - PriceWaterHouse is a reputable firm and I don't think it's their intention to fly you down there just to give you the slip. I would defenetly have a backup plan in case things don't work out in DR. I had a fraternity brother who accepted a senior position with the firm in DR but things didn't work out. I haven't heard from the guy in some time but if you wish I can find his contact information and forward it to you. Again, Congrats & Best of Luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I would get "something" in writing before boarding a plane with my bridges burnt. Even so much as a Fax with the offer spelled out.
I wonder about that salary which is 'very' attractive for here.

Get it in writing....

HB

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
thanks

Thanks! Any other advice? I am trying to pack light, is there anything besides clothes and deodorant I should bring or is it best to pack light..