tourist card cost to be incorporated into airline ticket price

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting news today:
https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...mo-sera-incorporado-al-boleto-aereo-KC8712194

the 10 dollar cost of tourist card is to be incorporated into the price of the airline ticket.

pay special attention to this:
Indica que los visitantes que por disposiciones previstas en convenios sobre la base de reciprocidad no estén sujetos al pago de la tarjeta de turismo, tendrán derecho al reembolso del valor pagado por este concepto, el cual deberá requerirse ante las oficinas de la Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII).

now i wonder... if the tourist card cost in a part of airfare then the residents and dominicans will be equally subjected to this with the right to ask DGII for reimbursement? well well...

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
interesting news today:
https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...mo-sera-incorporado-al-boleto-aereo-KC8712194

the 10 dollar cost of tourist card is to be incorporated into the price of the airline ticket.

pay special attention to this:
Indica que los visitantes que por disposiciones previstas en convenios sobre la base de reciprocidad no estén sujetos al pago de la tarjeta de turismo, tendrán derecho al reembolso del valor pagado por este concepto, el cual deberá requerirse ante las oficinas de la Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII).

now i wonder... if the tourist card cost in a part of airfare then the residents and dominicans will be equally subjected to this with the right to ask DGII for reimbursement? well well...

Im wondering if they now will charge even Dominicans with the 10.00 US$, when I book a flight to visit Canada westjet charge the 10.00 Dollars avoiding the fact that Im Dominican and I dont have to pay and give every body the turist card in flights to Dominican Republic. Hope now this situation can be solved or will be oficial scam from Dominicans.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Im wondering if they now will charge even Dominicans with the 10.00 US$, when I book a flight to visit Canada westjet charge the 10.00 Dollars avoiding the fact that Im Dominican and I dont have to pay and give every body the turist card in flights to Dominican Republic. Hope now this situation can be solved or will be oficial scam from Dominicans.

No need to worry. From now on there will be a stack of $10 USD bills waiting to be handed out to Dominicans and legal residents when they go to stamp your passport. Quite possibly upon request you may be able to receive pesos instead of USD.

What a scam this will be for the DR because who really reads the fine print of the itemized plane ticket cost?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
No need to worry. From now on there will be a stack of $10 USD bills waiting to be handed out to Dominicans and legal residents when they go to stamp your passport. Quite possibly upon request you may be able to receive pesos instead of USD.

What a scam this will be for the DR because who really reads the fine print of the itemized plane ticket cost?

Thats why Im scared, Next time i travel if i receive that charge I will make a complain.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

That should be in the Clown Bin.

As for the OP, yet another screwed up thing to add to confusion and increase the ticket price.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Just be thankful if they don't add the $10 to each leg of the flight ...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes - WestJet includes the $10 in the ticket.

No- I have never seen how to refund that money ....
gone like snow in July

Be careful you travelers...
when every passenger already has the card - the line fills up faster.!!

Normally, I jump the tourist card line to be early at the wicket on US flights
Cdn flights - we all go to the wicket together.

There should be a Citizens/Residents line.....

henry28

Jan 10, 2017
I have to pay USD20 per month on time of leaving DR. For 4 months x US20.
Is it the MUST?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The article doesn't say how they will verify who's a Dominican citizen or a regularized foreign resident in the DR and who's a tourist.

I can only think of two possible ways and both ways requires the round trip to start somewhere abroad.

It goes without saying that anyone that buys round trip airline tickets starting in the DR is either a Dominican citizen that lives in the DR or a foreigner with regularized permanent residential status in the DR. Logically, this should imply that the person is not a tourist.

1. They will use the permanent address that you type when buying the airplane ticket. Anyone with a DR permanent address will not be charged the $10.

2. Airlines will be required to ask for cédula number and/or social security number at time of purchase and the computer will verify the residential status of the person. Those that are not Dominican citizens and/or no permanent address in the DR will be charged, everyone else will not.

But, this is speculation under the assumption that logic will be used.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
For tourists, the $10 is for the VISA card.

For Dominicans and legal residents, it´s a $10 VIP fee.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes - WestJet includes the $10 in the ticket.

No- I have never seen how to refund that money ....
gone like snow in July

Be careful you travelers...
when every passenger already has the card - the line fills up faster.!!

Normally, I jump the tourist card line to be early at the wicket on US flights
Cdn flights - we all go to the wicket together.

There should be a Citizens/Residents line.....

At SDQ and STI there is a separate line for Citizens/Residents.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Both fees are built into the Air Canada ticket price. They hand the $10. Tourist card out to everyone on the plane. If you are a Dominican or a resident you can decline the card.
As other posters have said Westjet does this as well. The Canadian carriers seem to be ahead of the pack on this one.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
That should be in the Clown Bin.

As for the OP, yet another screwed up thing to add to confusion and increase the ticket price.

lol. We expect the DR government to get things right but as we all see time after time, there is always a scam attached to it. I agree with you Windeguy. This should be part of the clown bin

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How is that possible? There is no way for them to collect the money other than in the cost of the ticket. This departure tax is for everyone.

for years charter flights from the UK charged that 20 dollar fee in cash, at the airport, upon leaving DR.