Visa Interview Wait times.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Does anybody know the current wait time for a Visitor visa interview?

Would it be a different wait time for a K-1 fiance Visa?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I applyed for Visa middle of October, and I got dates for November and December, I picked up to go next friday, January and February all dates full. So If is regular turist visa I think now even march could be also full at this time. But we never know how their system works because a friend told me that he has a friend that applyed before than me and when he was picking up dates only were avilable dates in March 2018.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I applyed for Visa middle of October, and I got dates for November and December, I picked up to go next friday, January and February all dates full. So If is regular turist visa I think now even march could be also full at this time. But we never know how their system works because a friend told me that he has a friend that applyed before than me and when he was picking up dates only were avilable dates in March 2018.

That confirms the information that I have. It seems Mr. Trump has improved the wait time considerably.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Can you tell what have changed? Last time I apply for the visa was 2013 and was denied.

with respect to wait times, fewer people are applying for visas because of the political climate. The reduced demand resulted in reduced wait time from 7+ months down to a few.

I have no proof, but the word on the street is that the US embassy is much more restrictive now.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
with respect to wait times, fewer people are applying for visas because of the political climate. The reduced demand resulted in reduced wait time from 7+ months down to a few.

I have no proof, but the word on the street is that the US embassy is much more restrictive now.

Long ago the waitting time was arround 3 months always, I was really surpriced when I was picking the dates that my interview could be so fas Nov 2017 or Dec 2017t, but I saw anyway that Jan 2018 and Feb 2018 didnt have any date open for interview.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The two times that my wife applied for a visitor visa in May of both 2015 and 2016 there was an interview date available in less than a month. This was pretty much the same for several friends of mine. Remember, you also need to schedule a VAC date and, unless you live close to SDQ, you will want those to be on consecutive days.

A K-1 interview is a totally different story. A lot of paperwork has to be filed first and it could easily be 6-8 months before you get an interview.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I heard from a couple friends (one is in the embajada hoy) that visas are much faster.
I doubt that the quicker visitor visas are a result of many fewer people wanting to go - but I can't find any data either way on demand (only the Embassy would have that info).

As for the K-1 finance visa - it takes longer and I think you have to marry within 6 months or the visa expires (lot of pressure !) Plus they ask many questions to make sure you are legit ( a grilling) - Visitor visa much smarter

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Does anybody know the current wait time for a Visitor visa interview?

Would it be a different wait time for a K-1 fiance Visa?

By the end of last week, interview dates were for the end of February. VAC appointment dates are always close, so what people can do is go to the VAC soon, and then you might be able to change your consular appointment to a closer date. The "system" seems to be kind of crazy, though, as sometimes people who pick their appointments later get closer dates.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Yes, it is more restrictive. It seems they're being more picky now.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The two times that my wife applied for a visitor visa in May of both 2015 and 2016 there was an interview date available in less than a month. This was pretty much the same for several friends of mine. Remember, you also need to schedule a VAC date and, unless you live close to SDQ, you will want those to be on consecutive days.

A K-1 interview is a totally different story. A lot of paperwork has to be filed first and it could easily be 6-8 months before you get an interview.

Correction:

It was in May of 2016 and May of this year that my wife applied for a tourist visa. One thing I noticed is that the availability of interview dates changed almost daily. One day you would look and the first interview available would be a month away, and the next day one might pop-up that would only be a week away. People do cancel and change dates all the time.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I heard from a couple friends (one is in the embajada hoy) that visas are much faster.
I doubt that the quicker visitor visas are a result of many fewer people wanting to go - but I can't find any data either way on demand (only the Embassy would have that info).

As for the K-1 finance visa - it takes longer and I think you have to marry within 6 months or the visa expires (lot of pressure !) Plus they ask many questions to make sure you are legit ( a grilling) - Visitor visa much smarter

When looking for a date that was suitable I noticed the interview calendars were very full. Both the VAC and the embassy were packed the times I went. There's no shortage of Dominicans wanting to go to the US.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When looking for a date that was suitable I noticed the interview calendars were very full. Both the VAC and the embassy were packed the times I went. There's no shortage of Dominicans wanting to go to the US.
Which VAC?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
May I ask in which regard the process has become more restrictive, and why they are being perceived as "more picky"?

Any bureaucrat can turn any process into a nightmare. I think they were encouraged to kick it up a notch.

I'm not aware of any changes in the rules.