Peso Losing Value Against Dollar

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
What does this mean? I've been here seven years and the value of a peso has dropped from 37 pesos to a dollar to 48.1 and it looks like it's going to continue this trend. I am guessing that that price of products will continue to rise accordingly but I am curious to know if there are any other effects.... Thanks!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you were here about 13 years ago when Hippo was in office you would have seen the peso at 50.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What does this mean? I've been here seven years and the value of a peso has dropped from 37 pesos to a dollar to 48.1 and it looks like it's going to continue this trend. I am guessing that that price of products will continue to rise accordingly but I am curious to know if there are any other effects.... Thanks!

well, when the peso devalues relative to the dollar, imported products become more expensive to Dominicans, and Dominican exports, like tourism, become cheaper to people who are paying in dollars..

Jan 9, 2004

In the shorter term, what it means is that the Banco Central, to their credit, is getting out in front of a potential US fed rate raise next week. If you pull up a chart of USD/DOP you will see that just prior to the feds raising rates in March and June, the Banco Central slowly and orderly moved the peso down against the dollar.

As a broad general rule but not always, when a country increases its rates, it strengthens its currency i.e., it gets more expensive to buy USD in other countries, weakening theirs, particularly in LDC's (lesser developed countries). Reasons for rate raises vary from curbing inflation to attracting more foreign investment, etc.

Barring a black swan event in either country, like the DR banking crisis and recovery, the peso has been on a weakening trajectory from its days at parity 1:1 with the dollar to its current 48:1.

If interest rates in the US continue to rise, prices for goods in the DR will likely continue to slowly rise as the peso weakens, again barring any black swan event, or also if internally, the DR raises taxes as they did on ITBIS (VAT) from 16 to 18% for most goods.

This (currency devaluation) is also one of the many reasons why people who "invest" in peso certificates of deposit should be cautious.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I
As a broad general rule but not always, when a country increases its rates, it strengthens its currency i.e., it gets more expensive to buy USD in other countries, weakening theirs, particularly in LDC's (lesser developed countries). Reasons for rate raises vary from curbing inflation to attracting more foreign investment, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I am not sure how going from , say 48 to 50 DR pesos per dollar would strengthen the DR peso by making it harder to buy US dollars. Can you further explain that point? I understand how it could be cheaper for those with US dollars to buy DR goods for a short time until the DR raises prices to compensate. I always thought of such events as a weakening of the DR peso.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On a related note, although Dominican business men always predict a horrible crisis for the next or second next year, this year I’ve heard more than ever how many business men are expecting a serious economical crisis for next year, including bank officials warning their customers for next year. Relating things to the new money laundry law which will cause trouble because of the big part of the economy that apparently is managed ‘fuera de los libros’

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Wonderful. I love it when they use this exchange rate to attempt
to charge more for items produced and sold locally. Too funny.

Jan 9, 2004
I am not sure how going from , say 48 to 50 DR pesos per dollar would strengthen the DR peso by making it harder to buy US dollars. Can you further explain that point? I understand how it could be cheaper for those with US dollars to buy DR goods for a short time until the DR raises prices to compensate. I always thought of such events as a weakening of the DR peso.

It doesn't. It weakens it by forcing holders of pesos to pay more pesos to acquire dollars.

"As a broad general rule but not always, when a country [US] increases its rates, it strengthens its currency i.e., it gets more expensive to buy USD in other countries, weakening theirs, particularly in LDC's (lesser developed countries)."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It doesn't. It weakens it by forcing holders of pesos to pay more pesos to acquire dollars.

"As a broad general rule but not always, when a country [US] increases its rates, it strengthens its currency i.e., it gets more expensive to buy USD in other countries, weakening theirs, particularly in LDC's (lesser developed countries)."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Understood, but that is not how I read what you said in your post on strengthening a currency in your earlier post on this thread.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So if the peso is worth less compared to other countries currencies it is thus stronger?

Tell that one to Venezuela............

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Please cite the paragraph where I said the peso would be stronger after a US rate rise.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

No, you said after the peso rises it is stronger.

As a broad general rule but not always, when a country increases its rates, it strengthens its currency i.e., it gets more expensive to buy USD in other countries, weakening theirs, particularly in LDC's (lesser developed countries). Reasons for rate raises vary from curbing inflation to attracting more foreign investment, etc

Jan 9, 2004
No, you said after the peso rises it is stronger.

As a broad general rule but not always, when a country increases its rates, it strengthens its currency i.e., it gets more expensive to buy USD in other countries, weakening theirs, particularly in LDC's (lesser developed countries). Reasons for rate raises vary from curbing inflation to attracting more foreign investment, etc

Exactly what I said;

Increasing rates refers to what the US is currently doing..........which will strengthen its currency.

"weakening theirs" refers in this case to the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2