Supermercado Albertico eviction/embargo in Cabarete

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I am surprised other than FB there is nothing in the local press about the cause of the traffic congestion in Cabarete yesterday. Am I correct that one of the oldest merchants in Cabarete was evicted and contents embargoed? How could a 60yr old business suddenly be found illegal? Maybe someone can help me understand what happened.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I was there in the middle of all that traffic yesterday, but Alberticos has been closed for over a year(?).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My understanding is that the owner of the building evicted the business, Supermercado Albertico, after negotiations failed.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I used to go to Alberticos all the time. I think he still owned the space, but he closed his supermarcado over a year ago. Maybe he evicted the business he was renting out to(?). I don't remember exactly what was there.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I was just talking with a Dominican friend of mine. The owner of Albertico's had rented out his old supermercado. However, the owner of all the property there, which included some small houses that were behind the old Albertico's, the cafeteria alongside, the billares above, and some small shops that were down a small little driveway alongside the cafeteria were all evicted by the owner. Apparently another case of no one really knowing who the real owner was(?).

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Obviously this is second hand information, but I heard that the building were all built on land without a proper title - and then someone with the proper title went through the courts and enforced eviction.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Obviously this is second hand information, but I heard that the building were all built on land without a proper title - and then someone with the proper title went through the courts and enforced eviction.

That's basically the same story I'm hearing.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Never a dull moment in Cabarete