Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Supermercado Albertico eviction/embargo in Cabarete

I am surprised other than FB there is nothing in the local press about the cause of the traffic congestion in Cabarete yesterday. Am I correct that one of the oldest merchants in Cabarete was evicted and contents embargoed? How could a 60yr old business suddenly be found illegal? Maybe someone can help me understand what happened.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there in the middle of all that traffic yesterday, but Alberticos has been closed for over a year(?).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that the owner of the building evicted the business, Supermercado Albertico, after negotiations failed.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to go to Alberticos all the time. I think he still owned the space, but he closed his supermarcado over a year ago. Maybe he evicted the business he was renting out to(?). I don't remember exactly what was there.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just talking with a Dominican friend of mine. The owner of Albertico's had rented out his old supermercado. However, the owner of all the property there, which included some small houses that were behind the old Albertico's, the cafeteria alongside, the billares above, and some small shops that were down a small little driveway alongside the cafeteria were all evicted by the owner. Apparently another case of no one really knowing who the real owner was(?).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously this is second hand information, but I heard that the building were all built on land without a proper title - and then someone with the proper title went through the courts and enforced eviction.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Obviously this is second hand information, but I heard that the building were all built on land without a proper title - and then someone with the proper title went through the courts and enforced eviction.
    That's basically the same story I'm hearing.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Never a dull moment in Cabarete

9. Dislikes lifeisgreat disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    That's basically the same story I'm hearing.
    Also the same as reported on local news.