The Haitians built the DR

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Good now that I have your attention I really want
to have a good discussion on the Haitian situation
in the DR. If we can spend countless hours on the
sublime we can surely gather enough acumen to have a good talk about this problem and resolve to
make it better in each of our own ways. I maintain that it was the slave labor that the Spanish brought from Africa to the DR that has made the DR
what it is today. The DR and Haiti could be each
others strongest allies if the Americans and the
Mexicans can do it the DR and Haiti can do it.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
No Haitians need apply

I do not believe in approachment, appeasement, social integration or peaceful coexistence with Haiti. I believe we should treat Haitians like any other migration. They must be allowed in limited numbers here. We already have too many. We must deport more than 500,000 to clean house.

They have their country, we have ours. We do not mix. There are Dominicans that are ready to go to war to defend our land from these intruders. I am one of them. I would join any militia permitted by the government to go out and hunt them down at the border. No regrets. We owe nothing to these African biggots except disease and poverty.

Haitians are the worst segregationists in the world. They do not allow foreigners to own anything or to participate in their politics. Dominicans have a tradition of openess and democratic values. We have orientals, arabs, americans, germans, italians, jews and almost every nationality involved in our government, society and industry. Foreigners are treated as first class citizens. Haitians only want Haitians and want to impose their will on us.

TW

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Cheap labour!

You won't find any of the Dominicans I know willing to work the cane fields or sweat their heads off digging trenches by hand to bury water pipes and underground cables.....like the Haitians working on the new Guavaberry Golf course.

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
Hell No !!!

Haitians belong in Haiti and Dominican in Dominican Republic. It's that simple. If any countries should help Haiti, these would be Canada and France. They (haitians) speak French NOT Spanish.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Things really must have changed

I remember Dominicans wanting jobs no matter how menial. I remember them as having a good work ethic and desire to improve. Of course this ws in the countryside, away from the tourists and the Capital.

I won't repeat all I said earlier today on this but I believe in legal immigrqation not illegal, whether in the DR or the US.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Get real how many pesos does DR spend on the Army?

Look people,

I'm no scholar but I know what makes for common sense. Question how can the DR spend millions on the Army and not give its teachers a raise? Simple
the DR has this fear of an Haitian invasion right?
The DR also uses this system of a bloated Military
as a mechanism to foster employment for those capable of joining. What other countries beside Haiti does the DR need to fear an attack from?

What can the Haitians offer the DR cheap labor
which you all must agree benefits both countries.

The practice of isolationism and of seeing Haiti as that other place is taking such a toll on the DR and it's future there is no reason why Haiti
and the DR could not be each others biggest trading partners now is there? You have to embrace the Haitian situation if you want to reap the future benefits of having a stable border with Haiti. The more you isolate the deeper you will find that you are indebted beyond belief! The Haitians must be engaged people we live in a global village now isolationism avails no one now.

The DR could use its power of the peso if it wanted to bring real change in Haiti and this would benefit both countries,it is a shame that
two countries that were conquered by the Euros
can't find a common link in the fact that they now
are liberated and have the ability to choose their
own fates.The DR should show the Haitians that deforestation is not the way to go. Share or you
will be consumed by your own selfishness.

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
Haiti Attack DR??? LOL

Haiti attack DR? with what voodoo dolls?. We'll kick your ASS.
Just try and see what happens..

VIVA QUISQUELLA LA BELLA !!!!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
JROD.....

Should all Canadians stay in Canada then? What about all of the illegal immigrants in Canada from India, Colombia, Czech and other places. SHould they not have the right to be in Canada? A right to a better life? What's wrong with that? Some people can not get a visa or a chance to leave their country and have to come over illegally. They may be political activists, standing up for their beliefs and fear capture or death, the country may simply not grant them access to leave. They may have children in danger. Are we going to send illegal immigrants back to the country where they are left, to just parish? I know it happens, but that doesn't make it right. There are illegal people all over the world in search of a better life and are not prosecuted and eventually gain status. What makes this situation any different? Why must Haitians be treated so poorly?

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Meredith,

Why is it fair to grant someone who broke the law by entering illegally a residency or citizenship over someone who follows the rules? What we are dicussing has nothing to do with asylum cases which are handled differently.

To go by what you advocate...why should ievevn try to follow the rules when I can get rewarded for not following them.

Our maid in Jamaica now lives in the States. Her husband first came as a guest worker in the Floda orange groves. After he saved enough money, she and their children came, all legally. He now is a labor broker and she owns her ownmaid's service. Should thet have been denied their legally obtained visas so that others could get theirs illegally?

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
I see what you're saying El Jefe and it's true that asylum cases are handled differently and of course, you should be rewared for following them and not the opposite. You are very smart and I alwasys listen to what you have to say. All I'm saying is that I have spoken with many refugees who are not allowed to leave their country when they are in danger or even if they just want to leave. Once they arrive in Canada they do apply legally for a visa to stay in the country, but the only way that they can legally stay in the country is to come over illegally and apply legally once they are here. Anyways, this is getting off the topics of Haitians in the D.R........................
I don't think I want to get started there. I just remember images in my head, millions of haitians in truck loads brought outside my place of stay, Dominicans with giant guns, shoving the haitians around, threatening them, treating them like animals with no food or water, then shipping them off in crowded tiny buses to different sugar plantations........... scenes of shock and horror..... who brought all of these Haitians here? Seems like the Dominican authorities are controlling it?

jt76

Jan 23, 2002
Haitians & Dominicans

Why is it that most Dominicans want a close border with Haiti, but see nothing wrong with the mass migration of Dominicans to places like US, Canada, Europe?

I want to know what makes a Haitian inferior to a Dominican? Ever since I was a kid I was told that Haitians were bad, dirty and thives. Funny thing is I hear the same thing here in the states about immigrants. You talk about defending the border, but who is going to bulid the buildings, pick the sugar canes. etc...

I don't agree that we are all better than Haiti, just because they are poor and have political unrest does not make the country a wasteland. Instead of alianeting the Haitians we should protect the interest of DR and invest in Haiti. Only then can our economical wellbeing be guarded from "the invasion." And why is it that we have to pass the buck to France or another country just because we do not speak french. Does that mean that Japan, US, European countries should not help the DR because they do not speak spanish. We as a nation have to stop being such biggots, they want a better life just the same as us.

Live by the golden rule:
"Do unto others as you would like done unto you"

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Have you ever been to Haiti? It is a wasteland. Deforestation has ruined and continues to ruin that part of the island. There is not enough arable land there to support even 1/5 of the population. And who's fault is that? Not the DR's!
BTW You have the GOLDEN RULE all wrong. It is:"Whoever has the most gold makes the rules!"

Tony C.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just slightly tongue in cheek.

Isaac is a heretic.. the DR will never, ever join with Haiti. That is an Article of Faith according to the DR History and Culture.

It is sort of like Moses or Mohammed or the words of the Declaration of Independence. It will not, in our lifetime change, nor in or chilldren's.

I saw some good points above, such as the suggestion the Canada and France take over Haiti and try and bring it into the 19th or 20th century. After all, it was them (France) that raped the country, bled it dry and then left it abandoned. Then in the 20th Century the Quebequois and French "sex-tourists" found out that Haitian men, driven by the terrible poverty, would do "anything" for money, thereby creating a mind-numbing statistic of HIV infection that rivals any country in Aftica. Then they, too, left the country. Why was it that not one country in the world has really decided to help Haiti???Maybe they need to declare war on the United Nations and by losing, they can get education, health care and development assistence.

Years ago, when the US was going to invade Haiti, yet again, I was asked by CNN if I thought that this invasion was a good thing. I answered that I thought it was a very stupid move on the part of the US Government since there was a clear lack of knowledge about Haiti within the government and within the US population.
1) It seems that no one understands that in Haiti the words democracy and liberty have little of the same meaning that they possess in the US or England...Haiti has never known democracy. In the Haitian mind set, "liberty" is freedom from slavery , period.
2) There is an enormous HIV positive population in Haiti, and I cannot imagine any family in America being proud of the fact that their son was killed by AIDS helping to save democracy in Haiti.
3)Haiti is 94% illiterate. The US would have to create a school system equivelent to one the size of NYC. Snap! Like that! To educate the population, but I don't (I told CNN) think Congress would go along with that.

I don't remember the other points I made.

There is the idea that the DR should be helping the Haitians. We are!! 25% of the children born in many of the hospitals are Haitian!. They are using 30% of the medical facilities. Many thousands are being educated in Dominican schools. Trade, both legal and in contraband is huge.

One of the reasons that Balaguer as not a favorite of Clinton (or Bush Sr, for that matter) was that he refused to honor the blockade that they declared on Haiti. He figured that : "Why should the Dominican Republic shoulder the burden of helping Haiti?" When no other nation would accept Haitian boat people, the DR was still letting people across the border....

AND, to end this, it is not that Dominicans will not cut cane or dig ditches, which they did for years, but that they are trying to better themselves as motoconchistas or other jobs in resorts. There is a cultural, Dominican, aversion to cutting cane, since it is a "Haitian" job.....

There's one more thing. A reporter asked me this morning if I thought that there was going to be a new Haitian Invasion, like the ones in 1844. I told her, that no, it had already happened over the past ten years...

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Good reply HB!

As I have stated in many other threads "education" is the Key!!! In Haiti as well as in the DR and any other nation for that matter.
Look at what the Haitians did in Quebec after the mass immigration sponsored by Rene Levesque! He thought he was "helping" the Quebecoise cause by bringing in more French speaking people. Instead the Haitians took the gov't sponsored housing and turned it into "slums" the like of which had never before been seen in Canada let alone Quebec! They soon "learned" the welfare system and use it to their advantage.
Haiti may have "fought for & earned" their independance but they have never "learned" the responsibility that come with "independence"!
Should they be "allowed" to over-run the Dr??"
I think NOT!!!

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
just an observation

I really didn't know there were problems with illegal haitians in DR let alone the depth of the problem until I visited this past December. My father is real estate developer there and I found it interesting how all of the people at the construction sites were haitian, who didn't speak a single word of spanish. These people work long hours, for less pay and get the job done much faster. As much as many people don't like them and would like to send them back, it is true that they are taking jobs that nobody else would take and helping to build DR.

The influx of Haitians in DR makes me think of the Mexicans in the western states of the US. I remember people complaining that these illegal immigrants were taking jobs away from Americans. The more I look at it though the more I ask myself how many Americans would actually be willing to take jobs in agriculture, getting substandard pay for working long laborious days. Would you?

Meredith

Jan 24, 2002
DR Techie.......

That's a good point! Good way of putting it in perspective. :)

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Tony C said:
Have you ever been to Haiti? It is a wasteland. Deforestation has ruined and continues to ruin that part of the island. There is not enough arable land there to support even 1/5 of the population. And who's fault is that? Not the DR's!
BTW You have the GOLDEN RULE all wrong. It is:"Whoever has the most gold makes the rules!"

Tony C.

Yes I was there
4 month ago I drove form Porto Prince to Jacemel
THat trip is comparabel to Sosua to Santiago through the mountains.
Only the road is in far better condition than here.
the scenery is fantastic, absolutly no sign of deforestation
every one is talking about.
So far as I am concerned I have seen it from both sides.
There is a lot of propaganda from haitian haters
like TW and others.I have seen it first hand.
Talking about deforestation look from Barahona to
Monte Cristi. Arid land devoid of any greenery.
No where in Haiti have i seen such arid lands.
Don't miss understand me , the trip from Luperon to Monte Christi is amazing.and I would recommend it to any one.
Amazing desert land..
A must see. But what happened to all the greenery here.
I am not saying nothing hapened in Haiti .For sure some is true.
But Dominicans surely cant throw the first stone,
You all should make the trip one day. Its an amazing adventure
the food is amazing even in small villages you get excelent french cuisine.
In Jacemel you can get a soupe de poison a la provenciale
matching that any where on the Cote d'azure for a fraction of the price. Stuffed aubergine , well I can go on and on.
Its hard to find comparable quality here,
and believe me I tried . Good food is a a hobby of mine .
Open your closed minds. You will be surprised.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Enough Momm C, you HB and Chriss may have first hand experience more so than I when it comes to teh DR however despite my best efforts as patience
and restraint is now worn. You all are the most
troubling group of synical, duplicitous, arrogant,
self serving collection of dazed individuals I have ever had the misfortune of having to contend
with. You people think that you are so much above it all (YOU ALL ARE THE EXACT TYPES THAT I
RELISH THE OPPURTUNITY TO ESCAPE FROM WHEN I LEAVE
THE US FOR HOLIDAY IN THE DR). As I said earlier
it would appear as though a few asps have managed
to slither from the US and relocate to the DR.

You self annointed old goats are the problem with
the DR you and your ways of old and you know exactly what I mean! I have tried to be sensible
however you all are so caught in your own venom
that the cause of convincing you of anything else
is like trying to teach a snake not to bit. You
people the ones named above are no better than the missionaries of old your ways only promote your
agenda and despite your sweet words I now see thru
your masks, sure I am a heretic, and a militant if
you must label me as that because you yourselves are insecure so be it. You people and your thoughts are dangerous I see you all for what you
are no different really now than from the past
simply a little more subtle and unassuming but
unmistakably virulent. Caustic--- I love the DR
and will visit many times you all and your old world thoughts will never successed in brining the kind of change you all ultimately want for the DR and nor should you. I have no respect for the
serpents that crawl on their bellies, I just
feel sorry for you people being the way that you are. I have no further need to have anything to
do with any of you all named above I never liked you all but now it's turning to something else and it's best for me to leave now. For every one else that provided good commentary and insight--
thanks, I hope to run into in the DR at some point. MommC, HB, Chris Colon I don't know from what den you've slithered from I hope one day you
all change the hatred in your hearts for things different from yourself. Oh and by the way I'm sure that one of you will miss the point completely and turn everything into one big joke,
enough said. You people make me realize that even though I am in the DR that your kind still stain
every part of the world.

Mar 21, 2002
La Quinta Columna

It would be nice to see what would happen to the DR if 5 million Haitians peacefully marched across the border. What would the Dr do?