Can anyone recommend a kosher restaurant in Puerto Plata city?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Can anyone recommend a kosher restaurant in Puerto Plata city? I will have an Orthodox Jewish acquaintance visiting.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A better question would be anywhere in the DR. Unfortunately there is none that I have ever heard of. But you can go to the Synagogue in Sosua that is a museum now and ask there, but I really doubt it.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
PM davidZ or Meemselle, if there is one, they might know.......

Nope. There is no kosher restaurant anywhere on the island. You could ask Rabbi Pelman of Chabad in Santo Domingo to put food on a bus. Depending on the level of observance---if your guest eats dairy/vegetarian in non-kosher restaurants---your guest had better pack a lot of snacks. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
There is a kosher caterer in Santo Domingo. I spoke with them several years ago about a group of riders who required kosher food.

I'llk try to fine the info if I still have it.

Edit: here is the link- Glatt/Kosher catering Dominican Republic

As I said: the only totally kosher resource (if you accept Chabad as kosher: there are so many things about Chabad that I don't, but it's the best we can do) is Rabbi Pelman in SD.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yea, well. You "fine" it out.
See the "e" and "d" on your QWERTY keybord? They are next to each other, and I have manly fingers.

My experience was not borne from Rage Googling. My experience was multiple calls with the guys in Santo Domingo to arrange 8 days of catering all over the country, and included a conference call between the tour organizer, a NYC rabbi, and the rabbi in Santo Domingo.

And it wasn't just kosher. It was glatt kosher.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't worry CB - she rarely steps out of the Women's League any more.

People were too hard on she says....the worm turns at times....
quite the switch

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tsk tsk tsk.

informative? green light.
insulting? red light.

think about it, posters.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My experience was multiple calls with the guys in Santo Domingo to arrange 8 days of catering all over the country, and included a conference call between the tour organizer, a NYC rabbi, and the rabbi in Santo Domingo.

And it wasn't just kosher. It was glatt kosher.

I would therefore venture to guess that the "kosher caterer" is the Rebbetzin in Santo Domingo.

If there is a kosher caterer on this island, it would be important to know the supervision they are under. There are levels of certification, and some hashgachot are more reliable than others. I would be delighted---in fact, THRILLED---to know about it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I would therefore venture to guess that the "kosher caterer" is the Rebbetzin in Santo Domingo.

If there is a kosher caterer on this island, it would be important to know the supervision they are under. There are levels of certification, and some hashgachot are more reliable than others. I would be delighted---in fact, THRILLED---to know about it.
They have some special person that brings the food, and only he can touch it, no exceptions.

AFAIK all they do is cater from one kitchen in Santo Domingo.

For a motorcycle tour all over the island and needing three meals a day on the road, with the food coming from Santo Domingo, the logistics made no sense...and was ridiculously expensive. We declined the tour.

I don't know the certifications but the rabbi said he had two people---only two specific people---who can do it. I assume they are properly certified.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
They have some special person that brings the food, and only he can touch it, no exceptions.

AFAIK all they do is cater from one kitchen in Santo Domingo.

For a motorcycle tour all over the island and needing three meals a day on the road, with the food coming from Santo Domingo, the logistics made no sense...and was ridiculously expensive. We declined the tour.

I don't know the certifications but the rabbi said he had two people---only two specific people---who can do it. I assume they are properly certified.

If you really want to know, and you don't: PM