Intrant will use breathalyzers to reduce DUI incidences

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
While reading the DR1 News & Updates of Wednesday, 6 December 2017, I came across a very interesting news item, which surprisingly enough is not currently being discussed within these forums. In deference to Dolores, and the editing team of DR1 News I am copying and pasting the news item here for conversation. Responses may prove to be interesting, as indirect references to the subject matter are frequently made.

"As of the first quarter of 2018, the National Land Transit and Transport Institute (Intrant) agents will be conducting sobriety tests for drivers. Breathalyzers will be used to curb driving under the influence and reckless driving in the Dominican Republic. Those testing positive will be fined five to 10 minimum public sector wages. De los Santos said a normal fine could be for more than RD$25,000. The charge will be made by the Attorney General Office.
Claudia Franchesca de los Santos said that a pilot program would begin using breathalyzers donated by the International Alliance for Responsible Consumption (IARD). Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET) and Transit and Land Transport Agency (Digesett), Police, Armed Forces, and the Police Commission of the Ministry of Public Works agents are being trained to correctly use the safe driving tools and deal with those testing as driving under the influence.
In the Dominican Republic you can buy alcoholic beverages at fueling stations, and driving under the influence is widespread.
During a past presidency of Leonel Fernandez in 2007, then Minister of Interior and Police Franklin Almeyda had announced the decision to purchase 1,200 breathalyzers at a cost to taxpayers of US$108,534.24. The effect of the Breathalyzer CDP 6000 that was chosen by the procurement commission or their use or non use was not covered in the media. Indeed, there are no follow-up stories online to the announcement of the purchase."
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...-mil-ND8713917
https://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...-a-conductores

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Will we finally begin to see proper enforcement, and consequences for irresponsible behavior? Can lives be saved?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Claudia Franchesca de los Santos said that a pilot program would begin using breathalyzers donated by the International Alliance for Responsible Consumption (IARD).
During a past presidency of Leonel Fernandez in 2007, then Minister of Interior and Police Franklin Almeyda had announced the decision to purchase 1,200 breathalyzers at a cost to taxpayers of US$108,534.24.
Why would they be using breathalysers donated by the International Alliance for Responsible Consumption (IARD)?

What happened to the 1,200 breathalysers at a cost to taxpayers of US$108,534.24?

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
About 7 years ago as I was about to cross the Hermanos Patiño bridge in Santiago I was stopped and given a breathalyzer test..... I only had one drink much earlier in the day and passed with no problem....I was happy they knew which orifice to use....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why would they be using breathalysers donated by the International Alliance for Responsible Consumption (IARD)?

What happened to the 1,200 breathalysers at a cost to taxpayers of US$108,534.24?

Good question. As SantiagoDR pointed out, this has been "tried" before and nothing happened except for the breathalyzers disappearing and someone making money (and one person, Juan Bosch being stopped once :nervous:). Unlikely it will "work" this time regardless of the origin of the units.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

......what happened?........I think a very nice new jeepeta,,,,,for someone.......

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
PN at roadside checkpoint: "Yes sir - Congratulations you passed the breathalyzer, you are free to go on your scooter tonight with no working lights, no brakes, worn out tires, no registration papers, your 3 passengers, no helmets and that propane bottle balanced on the foot-board along with your open bottle of Presidente in your left hand.
Have a safe evening, ....... oh and say hi to your madre."

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
On a good day the police only work till around 4:30 in the Bavaro area. You still see them driving around all evening and night but they are just collecting propinas and hassling the working girls.
A breathilizer in the DR is just another way these clowns are going to bribe you with.

Feb 7, 2007
PN cannot stop you for traffic enforcement, only AMET/INTRANT can. Get that part.

For PN to stop you, there would need to be also at least one AMET/INTRANT present at the checkpoint.

Same as they cannot just go through your car if there is no fiscal present. Same as a J2/G2 checkpoint cannot legally do nothing if your marbete/revista/whatever is missing... they can hassle you though, and if you do not know better, you get hassled.

Know which LE is allowed to do what, and know Spanish and have at least some basic connections in the country, and you will be fine and not get hassled for everything by everybody.

Only mixed checkpoints can check for various things, but it must be the appropriate branch of LE officer doing the checking. E.g. PN cannot detain you for being illegal for not having valid cedula/residency/passport on you, only DGM officer in a mixed checkpoint could. PN officer cannot even ask you for validity of your stay in DR, that question must be posed by DGM officer. Same as PN cannot hassle you for not having Marbete (but they can ask you for car registration to check if the car is not stolen... but they cannot ask you for your driver's license for example (well they can but they cannot detain you for not having one, only a present AMET could do that). That's the reason of why sometimes mixed checkpoints are done. A single agency checkpoint, they can only do what their LE branch is allowed to do.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Exactly. I recall there was some attempt to use breathalyzers a few years back that fizzled. There seems to be no national will to do anything about the tragic death toll on the highways. Dominicans appear to just accept highway death numbers.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. I recall there was some attempt to use breathalyzers a few years back that fizzled. There seems to be no national will to do anything about the tragic death toll on the highways. Dominicans appear to just accept highway death numbers.

Not all Dominicans are created equal.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

I had never heard of this organization calling itself the International Alliance for Responsible Consumption before this report. With some quick research, here is what was found through their website http://www.iard.org/

About IARD
"The International Alliance for Responsible Drinking (IARD) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to addressing harmful drinking and promoting responsible drinking. Harmful drinking is a priority in its own right, as reflected in the Sustainable Development Goal target 3.5 and WHO’s Global Strategy to Reduce the Harmful Use of Alcohol. Governments also have addressed harmful drinking as one of the risk factors for non-communicable diseases (NCDs) through instruments such as the WHO Global Action Plan on NCDs and the UN Political Declaration on the Prevention and Control of NCDs.
We partner with public, civil society, and private stakeholders to advance our mission of contributing to the reduction of harmful drinking and promoting responsible drinking worldwide. We support the target in the WHO NCD Global Monitoring Framework of “at least 10% relative reduction in the harmful use of alcohol” by 2025.
IARD is supported by its Member Companies from all sectors of the alcohol industry – beer, wine, and spirits – in their common purpose of being part of the solution to the harmful use of alcohol."

Could it be that this is Big Alcohol's attempt to learn from, and differentiate from errors, and quite frankly, crimes, committed by Big Tobacco?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

As far as what happened to the original 1,200 breathalyzers, and their related costs, may I suggest two words: Leonel Fernandez.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
PN cannot stop you for traffic enforcement, only AMET/INTRANT can. Get that part.

For PN to stop you, there would need to be also at least one AMET/INTRANT present at the checkpoint.

Same as they cannot just go through your car if there is no fiscal present. Same as a J2/G2 checkpoint cannot legally do nothing if your marbete/revista/whatever is missing... they can hassle you though, and if you do not know better, you get hassled.

Know which LE is allowed to do what, and know Spanish and have at least some basic connections in the country, and you will be fine and not get hassled for everything by everybody.

Only mixed checkpoints can check for various things, but it must be the appropriate branch of LE officer doing the checking. E.g. PN cannot detain you for being illegal for not having valid cedula/residency/passport on you, only DGM officer in a mixed checkpoint could. PN officer cannot even ask you for validity of your stay in DR, that question must be posed by DGM officer. Same as PN cannot hassle you for not having Marbete (but they can ask you for car registration to check if the car is not stolen... but they cannot ask you for your driver's license for example (well they can but they cannot detain you for not having one, only a present AMET could do that). That's the reason of why sometimes mixed checkpoints are done. A single agency checkpoint, they can only do what their LE branch is allowed to do.

Good to know but I have been stopped at least twice by PN with no AMET or others I saw present, had to show Cedula, Driver's License, car papers and they asked me for my passport but I told them I had just residency and cedula cards with me. And yes I am certain they were PN. Once on the way to Punta Cana and once entering Nagua

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When there is a roadblock it is PN or Military, not AMET. Mostly looking for guns. Not traffic violations.

May 5, 2007
Are the Police using hand held "roadside" Breathalyzers? Those things are notoriously inaccurate (With exception of some newer ones using fuel cell ? technology which are supposed to be reliable)

Things have changed since I was doing OUI work but breathalyzers were simply another field test to determine if a motorist should be arrested and subject to a balloon, "stable" Intoxilyzer (Solidity mounted, calibrated, and heated) or a blood test
Of course each State (In USA) has differing standards and acceptability for testing devices

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Just one more reason I don't drive here and never want to
deal with the hassel of owning a vehicle in this country.