Problems with Skype

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Since last night I cannot connect to Skype to make a call. Not on cell phone and not on laptop. I deleted the app from my cell phone and re-installed it. Also, there seemed to be a problem downloading the app from the Apple app store. Took four tries to get it to download. Now have app again, but still cannot connect.

Strangely enough, I received two calls during this time, but could not answer.

Anyone else having problems? I don't see how this can be a service problem just in DR. I also looked at the sites that report outages (including the Skype site) and they all report service is normal.

I use Skype from DR every day to call US or Canada. First time for this problem.

(I can access my account on Skype web site - so could make payments, update profile, etc. - but cannot make calls. Everything is paid and up to date.)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It works, both Skype to Skype and my Skype phone number.

Thanks for that info. I have been using this same system for years and never had this problem. Just random last night I cannot connect. I have a US Skype number and unlimited use to a and from US and Canada numbers. I reloaded the app again. It says sign in, but it will not connect.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Now, the beta version of something called 'Skype for web' on the Skype site works with laptop to make calls.

But still, the app on laptop and the app on cell phone do not work to make calls. Will not connect.

I bet all will randomly start working again like many things here in this alternative world.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Suggest you install whatsapp......you will achieve your objective

Thank you. I use whatsapp also. Mostly to exchange messages with people here. And, while in US.

It really is not used that much in US. Most people I know there don't have it.

What I do with Skype is just make regular phone calls. At no cost to US and Canada. And, I forward a US cell phone here. More versatile than whatsapp.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
No problems here. Perhaps when you do get it to work, Save the download each time you download a version. That way you can revert back to a know working version.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Now, to close the loop. Skype works on my cell phone now. Completely random. It is the same version of the app that did not work before. After downloading a new version at least three times to see if the glitch would disappear. I opened it now, it told me to chose a color for background, sync my contacts, etc. And, that was it. Land of the upsidedown here. No surprise.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Not a lot of people still using Skype now that Whatsapp is around. My Skype stopped working years ago and it was the best thing that happened to me. Between Whatsapp and Magic Jack I am covered.