Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This Ain't Tesla Territory....

Santo Domingo.- The company Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) on Thurs. said it will promote the construction of electric vehicle charging stations (EV) in the Dominican Republic at a cost of US$30.0 million.

According to Yonhap cable service, the Korean company will install 160 charging stations for electric vehicles in three cities and will collaborate with local communities in the renewable energy sector.

KEPCO signed a MoU with the National Energy Commission (CNE) to establish the country’s electric vehicle charging infrastructure, to meet the expected growth in the demand for green vehicles.

This is KEPCO’s second project to build electric car infrastructure in Latin America, with Ecuador in the offing.

It notes that since Dominican Republic’s widest point is 265 kilometers, a fully charged vehicle can reach most of it.

A couple of issues, regarding these stations:

1. Who is going to own/franchise them?

2. Unless they are Solar Powered, the chances of them being usable are less than 50%, due
    to the lack of reliable power here in the D.R.

2. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This could be a shocking event!

https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-cont...AL-LOW-RES.pdf

Looking at the charging times required and the amount of energy/electricity needed at the different rates of charge.... Ya gonna need a huge solar system with a huge inverter and huge battery banks or.... buy a huge amount of D.R. electric @ inflated rates for dirty or no power at times.

Having your own charging station secured at your home, if you have a place to secure the system and then... watch the meter spin?

Nice idea but do you think that it could really happen? Do you think that anyone will buy into this? Do you think YOU would buy an electric car here in the D.R.?

4. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-cont...AL-LOW-RES.pdf

Looking at the charging times required and the amount of energy/electricity needed at the different rates of charge.... Ya gonna need a huge solar system with a huge inverter and huge battery banks or.... buy a huge amount of D.R. electric @ inflated rates for dirty or no power at times.

Having your own charging station secured at your home, if you have a place to secure the system and then... watch the meter spin?

Nice idea but do you think that it could really happen? Do you think that anyone will buy into this? Do you think YOU would buy an electric car here in the D.R.?
    .....if there are very few toyota prius in the D.R.....and they are cheap versus the Tesla....what do you think?........

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Just because someone finances a project, it does not mean it will succeed.

Solar stations? Until the new coal fired power plants are online , there will be frequent power outages as the demand for power grows and the supply does not.

It is a bit ironic that coal is the new power source for the DR and a company is promoting "green" cars shortly thereafter.

Tesla is not the only electric car out there. My best friend just bought a Chevy Bolt, which is an electric only vehicle and there are several other pure electric cars.

Perhaps in 20 or more years, it will make sense to have a pure electric car in the DR.

7. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My next car will be a self-driving electric one. When I get rid of my 2015 Kia, I may end up getting around in Taxis if self-driving electric cars are still not viable then.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

DR isn't Tesla country?

Are you sure?

A video from April 2017:

I don't know where he charges the car, but it's a Tesla in the DR.

Polls Forum Moderator

10. Likes Mauricio liked this post
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Five Fingers Wholesalers, Inc. distributors are eagerly awaiting the installation of those 160 charging stations.

12. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Five Fingers Wholesalers, Inc. distributors are eagerly awaiting the installation of those 160 charging stations.
    And all those new high tech batteries.

Some charging stations in the US have a battery swap-out so you don't have to wait or leave your car while charging. That would really expedite things here in the D.R. Of course, every time you swap-out your battery you might be getting a slightly more used one each time. But I'm sure they can find a brand new battery when you need one.... a year later. lol

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

They are very pretty cars.... eye catching.

when they pull away without a sound....makes you think!!

But pretty.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are pretty...expensive and pretty. My nephew in Utah has a Model X...extremely fast and efficient. Can pin your head to the headrest during acceleration that will make your blood pressure drop. The problem here is getting any kind of service...in the U.S., Tesla will even send a technician to your home to do repairs as needed...can't see that happening in the D.R.

16. Likes Caonabo liked this post
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast