This Ain't Tesla Territory....

Jan 7, 2016
:knockedou

Santo Domingo.- The company Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) on Thurs. said it will promote the construction of electric vehicle charging stations (EV) in the Dominican Republic at a cost of US$30.0 million.

According to Yonhap cable service, the Korean company will install 160 charging stations for electric vehicles in three cities and will collaborate with local communities in the renewable energy sector.

KEPCO signed a MoU with the National Energy Commission (CNE) to establish the country’s electric vehicle charging infrastructure, to meet the expected growth in the demand for green vehicles.

This is KEPCO’s second project to build electric car infrastructure in Latin America, with Ecuador in the offing.

It notes that since Dominican Republic’s widest point is 265 kilometers, a fully charged vehicle can reach most of it.

A couple of issues, regarding these stations:

1. Who is going to own/franchise them?

2. Unless they are Solar Powered, the chances of them being usable are less than 50%, due
to the lack of reliable power here in the D.R.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
This could be a shocking event!

https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/TIME-TO-CHARGE-20170706_FINAL-LOW-RES.pdf

Looking at the charging times required and the amount of energy/electricity needed at the different rates of charge.... Ya gonna need a huge solar system with a huge inverter and huge battery banks or.... buy a huge amount of D.R. electric @ inflated rates for dirty or no power at times.

Having your own charging station secured at your home, if you have a place to secure the system and then... watch the meter spin?

Nice idea but do you think that it could really happen? Do you think that anyone will buy into this? Do you think YOU would buy an electric car here in the D.R.?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/TIME-TO-CHARGE-20170706_FINAL-LOW-RES.pdf

Looking at the charging times required and the amount of energy/electricity needed at the different rates of charge.... Ya gonna need a huge solar system with a huge inverter and huge battery banks or.... buy a huge amount of D.R. electric @ inflated rates for dirty or no power at times.

Having your own charging station secured at your home, if you have a place to secure the system and then... watch the meter spin?

Nice idea but do you think that it could really happen? Do you think that anyone will buy into this? Do you think YOU would buy an electric car here in the D.R.?

.....if there are very few toyota prius in the D.R.....and they are cheap versus the Tesla....what do you think?........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just because someone finances a project, it does not mean it will succeed.

Solar stations? :confused: Until the new coal fired power plants are online :nervous:, there will be frequent power outages as the demand for power grows and the supply does not.

It is a bit ironic that coal is the new power source for the DR and a company is promoting "green" cars shortly thereafter.

Tesla is not the only electric car out there. My best friend just bought a Chevy Bolt, which is an electric only vehicle and there are several other pure electric cars.

Perhaps in 20 or more years, it will make sense to have a pure electric car in the DR.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
My next car will be a self-driving electric one. When I get rid of my 2015 Kia, I may end up getting around in Taxis if self-driving electric cars are still not viable then.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
DR isn't Tesla country?

Are you sure?

A video from April 2017:

I don't know where he charges the car, but it's a Tesla in the DR.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Five Fingers Wholesalers, Inc. distributors are eagerly awaiting the installation of those 160 charging stations. :bandit:

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Five Fingers Wholesalers, Inc. distributors are eagerly awaiting the installation of those 160 charging stations. :bandit:

And all those new high tech batteries.

Some charging stations in the US have a battery swap-out so you don't have to wait or leave your car while charging. That would really expedite things here in the D.R. Of course, every time you swap-out your battery you might be getting a slightly more used one each time. But I'm sure they can find a brand new battery when you need one.... a year later. lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They are very pretty cars.... eye catching.

when they pull away without a sound....makes you think!!

But pretty.....

Jan 7, 2016
Yes, they are pretty...expensive and pretty. My nephew in Utah has a Model X...extremely fast and efficient. Can pin your head to the headrest during acceleration that will make your blood pressure drop. The problem here is getting any kind of service...in the U.S., Tesla will even send a technician to your home to do repairs as needed...can't see that happening in the D.R.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Until "at home" charging becomes feasible the electric vehicle market on the island is a nonissue. Charging stations at places where cars park for long periods of time such as workplace parking lots, hotels would be a good idea but I question the value of these charging stations along highways and other out of the way locations. Charging an electric vehicle is not a charge for 30 minutes / drive for 30 minutes equation yet.

https://www.clippercreek.com/charging-times-chart/

If you drive from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana and need to recharge midway, you'll be there for hours waiting to continue on your way with enough juice to complete your trip.

Replacement battery packs for these vehicles are super expensive and you'd have to be nuts to give up your new batteries for used batteries at a charging station as a convenience to get going faster. If this idea is ever going to take off, then purchasing an electric vehicle without batteries will need to be an option. Some company that customers subscribe to provide your first set of drive & swap batteries and then you drive & swap as often as needed at affiliated battery exchange places.

Practically, the electric vehicle will be relegated to short local trips. Half a charge to where you are going and half a charge home where you recharge. A different way of getting to far away destinations will be needed.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It will happen, whether or not in our lifetimes, but the era of burning dead dinosaurs to get from one place to another is slowly coming to an end.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Until "at home" charging becomes feasible the electric vehicle market on the island is a nonissue. Charging stations at places where cars park for long periods of time such as workplace parking lots, hotels would be a good idea but I question the value of these charging stations along highways and other out of the way locations. Charging an electric vehicle is not a charge for 30 minutes / drive for 30 minutes equation yet.

If you drive from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana and need to recharge midway, you'll be there for hours waiting to continue on your way with enough juice to complete your trip.

Replacement battery packs for these vehicles are super expensive and you'd have to be nuts to give up your new batteries for used batteries at a charging station as a convenience to get going faster. If this idea is ever going to take off, then purchasing an electric vehicle without batteries will need to be an option. Some company that customers subscribe to provide your first set of drive & swap batteries and then you drive & swap as often as needed at affiliated battery exchange places.

Practically, the electric vehicle will be relegated to short local trips. Half a charge to where you are going and half a charge home where you recharge. A different way of getting to far away destinations will be needed.

Where have I read most of this before? Oh... ^^^^^

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

A Tesla comes with a home charger as standard. https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation  An overnight charge will charge to full capacity and give a range of 250 miles.  That's what I typically do in a week.

I personally think that this "range anxiety" is made up of people who are refusing to accept the future.  How many people actually commute in their vehicles over 250 miles a day?  According to this survey, not many as it seems my average milage is on par with the majority of America https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Of course there will be times when a long distance journey is needed and could potentially cause a problem.  But today's solution is simple, rent a car for the day!

If I could afford a Tesla here, nothing would stop me buying one.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My friend is the one in the video that owns it. He is a private pilot, and one of the best on the Island. He charges it in his garage.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Actually, what I wrote about renting a car for a day is nonsense.  For those that can afford a $100k plus car, seldom own one vehicle.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
My friend is the one in the video that owns it. He is a private pilot, and one of the best on the Island. He charges it in his garage.

he said something in the video like he paid 400 something on one part and 200 something on another part.. wonder if that was 600k dollars he was talking about? insane if so

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just because someone finances a project, it does not mean it will succeed.

Solar stations? :confused: Until the new coal fired power plants are online :nervous:, there will be frequent power outages as the demand for power grows and the supply does not.

It is a bit ironic that coal is the new power source for the DR and a company is promoting "green" cars shortly thereafter.

Tesla is not the only electric car out there. My best friend just bought a Chevy Bolt, which is an electric only vehicle and there are several other pure electric cars.

Perhaps in 20 or more years, it will make sense to have a pure electric car in the DR.

are you sure it is a Bolt? i had always thought it is a Volt...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It will happen, whether or not in our lifetimes, but the era of burning dead dinosaurs to get from one place to another is slowly coming to an end.

i agree with you, Beeza. when i was a young whippersnapper, a telephone was a big black instrument, with a rotary dial, which made phone calls.