Boat to Los Haitises - Outside of tour company

HXLopez

Dec 11, 2017
I live in DR and I am planning a trip to Samana. Looking into a day trip to los Haitises. So far, most of the info I've found are for tour companies that cater to tourist and pick you up from resorts, etc.

Anyone knows if you can get a tour or possibly a private boat (There will be 7 of us) right from the "Avenida La MArina". If so, anyone has info about pricing?

Thanks!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Go to the marina near Sabana de la Mar and hire one.

All the boats must be licensed by the Ministry of Tourism and are the same ones the resort operators use.

The guides are worth the price.

HXLopez

Dec 11, 2017
I read about that...but Sabana de la mar is across the bay. I was thinking about an option that leaves from Samana.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I read about that...but Sabana de la mar is across the bay. I was thinking about an option that leaves from Samana.
The beautiful thing about SdlM departure is meandering through the mangroves, and a local guide with great historical and environmental knowledge.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I live in DR and I am planning a trip to Samana. Looking into a day trip to los Haitises. So far, most of the info I've found are for tour companies that cater to tourist and pick you up from resorts, etc.

Anyone knows if you can get a tour or possibly a private boat (There will be 7 of us) right from the "Avenida La MArina". If so, anyone has info about pricing?

Thanks!

just make sure that the boad is equiped with all requirements in case of emergency if the boat sinks, i remember a group of Dominicans that took a boat not with a tour, the boat sink and 4 people died. Safty first.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Consider making an adventure with an evening at Paraíso Caño Hondo, the most unique hotel/resort, IMO, on the island. And it's walking distance MOL from the marina.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

Thanks!

There will be many guys hanging around with signs trying to sell you a trip across.  Some include a stop at Cayo Levantado.  I cannot remember how much I paid, but I am guessing a small boat with 7 people will be $200+.

If you take a small fiberglass boat, bring something for your butt.  If there are small choppy waves, you may be sore by the time you get back.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Boat

Thanks!
I have a 28 ft. catamaran in Puerto Bahia Samana... you can charter my boat, I will be the skipper....

Samana_Sanchez

Nov 22, 2014
I took a boat from Sanchez, hired a private fisherman who did tours/visits to los Haites on the side. It was cheap and lasted around 4 hours.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014

Thanks!

Check out "Merogordo Whales" on Facebook...

HXLopez

Dec 11, 2017
Oh cool. Lots of good info.

Jim, I'll check out your facebook page. I'll FB MSG you if we decide to go that route.

Thank you all!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You can probably find a boat and someone willing to take you to Los Haitises but you better be sure of the person you are dealing with. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the price. You may end up in a small skiff and if you get seasick good luck. If you want a good private tour than you must be willing to pay the price.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You are free to do what you wish but safety should be a significant concern. Non-tour boats may not have proper life jackets, distress beacons and may not be in the best of shape structurally and mechanically. Everyone who climbs aboard a boat in this country needs to be a strong swimmer. Toilet facilities apart from a bucket may not be available.

Consider where you are going and how long you will be gone. Some water and heat resistant dry snacks might be a good idea just in case.

Make sure someone responsible at your hotel knows where you are going, who is taking you and when you expect to return.