Followup to two previous threads

OK Roper

Nov 1, 2015
I just flew down from NYC to POP on Jet Blue for our annual winter stay. Two things in followup to earlier threads:

1- On the question of whether or not airlines are requiring evidence of a return ticket- Jet Blue (for one) has automated the check-in process- you deal with a kiosk rather than a human (if you choose). The computer now asks simply that you enter the date of your return ticket (an "honor system").

2- On the subject of Dominicans finding ways to get on airplanes before others- the gate at JFK next to us was boarding a flight to Santiago. Much to my amusement I counted 32 Dominicans in wheelchairs lined up for pre-boarding! Yes, I counted the wheelchairs ---- 32 wheelchairs on an airplane that holds maybe 130 people! Most looked in far better shape than me. :p LMAO!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....the way I fly to the D.R. is JFK to Santiago....the flights are mostly always full...never been asked about a return ticket, flew that flight 3 months ago and didnt have a return ticket.. the lady in mpls Minn. airport at Delta airlines said I needed a return ticket to board the plane....told her I would worry about that.....about those wheelchairs, yes when boarding the plane you save maybe 5 minutes, but Dominicans almost always,never fly first class(I do because of my sky miles) so I am first off.. using wheelchair to get off makes you about last........Doc.......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have seen high teens of wheelies....

32 is crazy......

I told you, the one guy got out of his chair.... walked 50-75 yds ,
bought coffees for him and the missus

plunked is *ss back down in the chair.... SCAM !!!!

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
On one flight, there was one guy near me who mentioned that he travels on a wheel chair. When it was time to disembark, however, he was one of the first to walk out of the plane. I guess he walked out looking for his wheelchair.

On my last flight, I had priority boarding and seating with my Economy ticket. They had me boarding and sitting with the disabled. I'm not disabled but my guess is that they treat me like one because I'm over 65 years old.

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The wheelchairs don't bother me as much as the SEAT STEALING...Some Dominicans (and they conveniently never speak a single word of English of course ) seem to think a Plane is like a Caribe tour Bus . Sometimes the Flight Attendants even let them get away with it too, does not matter that you bought that Isle Seat, and now you could be stuck with a middle seat in a completely different row Just Brutal what they are allowed to get away with..
An old man even literally tried to steal my front row Isle Seat , 1 Charlie as they call it . I gave him the "you joking , right?" look, he did not even blink.. took 2 flight attendants to explain it to him.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........as the SEAT STEALING...Some Dominicans (and they conveniently never speak a single word of English of course ) seem to think a Plane is like a Caribe tour Bus . Sometimes the Flight Attendants even let them get away with it too, does not matter that you bought that Isle Seat, and now you could be stuck with a middle seat in a completely different row Just Brutal what they are allowed to get away with.....

LOL, i purposely board a little later than i could just in hopes of having the pleasure of telling someone to get up out of my window seat. I fly United exclusively and never once had a problem with the passenger vacating my assigned seat with that sad look on their face. I am stubborn and the plane won't be taking off if the person refuses to give me my seat.

There have been a few occasions i have switched seats to accommodate someone but that is when the person asked and not just assumed they can do what they want. Most recently i refused to switch for two reasons, (1) i would have been on the other side of the plane with the bright sun shining in the window the entire flight and (2) the row i would have switched to the seats didn't recline. Nothing like checking seatguru.com before selecting your seat.

As far as the wheelchairs best one i saw is when this lady cleared immigration and reached in her bag to put her high heels on and strutted out the airport...........the things peeps will do.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The wheelchairs don't bother me as much as the SEAT STEALING...Some Dominicans (and they conveniently never speak a single word of English of course ) seem to think a Plane is like a Caribe tour Bus . Sometimes the Flight Attendants even let them get away with it too, does not matter that you bought that Isle Seat, and now you could be stuck with a middle seat in a completely different row Just Brutal what they are allowed to get away with..
An old man even literally tried to steal my front row Isle Seat , 1 Charlie as they call it . I gave him the "you joking , right?" look, he did not even blink.. took 2 flight attendants to explain it to him.

If you are the legitimate ticketed seat holder, there is not one flight attendant who would jeopardize their position by not acting in your favour, if you did indeed bring this sort of conflict to their attention.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I just flew down from NYC to POP on Jet Blue for our annual winter stay. Two things in followup to earlier threads:

1- On the question of whether or not airlines are requiring evidence of a return ticket- Jet Blue (for one) has automated the check-in process- you deal with a kiosk rather than a human (if you choose). The computer now asks simply that you enter the date of your return ticket (an "honor system").

2- On the subject of Dominicans finding ways to get on airplanes before others- the gate at JFK next to us was boarding a flight to Santiago. Much to my amusement I counted 32 Dominicans in wheelchairs lined up for pre-boarding! Yes, I counted the wheelchairs ---- 32 wheelchairs on an airplane that holds maybe 130 people! Most looked in far better shape than me. :p LMAO!

The non requirement of a return ticket works...sometimes. When they ask me for a return ticket, if I don't have one, I quickly purchase one via Expedia, which gives me 24 hrs to cancel my ticket.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
This is so stupid why scam to be the first on i also wate to the last min. Only a fool wants to be sitting on a plane just to wate for take off. Ooooo yes but most Dom's are fools. Now i understand. 

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
This is so stupid why scam to be the first on i also wate to the last min. Only a fool wants to be sitting on a plane just to wate for take off. Ooooo yes but most Dom's are fools. Now i understand. 

Maybe it's to get first access to the overhead bins or maybe just stupid as you suggested. I dunno.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Maybe it's to get first access to the overhead bins or maybe just stupid as you suggested. I dunno.

Its clearly a Race for the overhead bins.. and as said before if they see " better seats" empty, cuz the gringo is not on the plane yet , they assume they can just sit there as well ,and chance it .
Its like one big Caribe Tour Bus to them.

I firmly believe they think they are on Dominican Soil once they step on that plane... Its comedy more than annoying.. but u actually need a game plan to board ... lol

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'd travel to Miami now an then with an older co-worker (now retired) and his wife. They'd go go in wheel chair and only leave it after passing migration in Miami. The last time I went with them I insisted on taking the train to Dadeland, where the office and the hotel was. They had a big suitcase each of them with they carried with them in and through the train. As almost always the electrical stairs on Dadeland South wasn't working, so they had to carry it down the stairs and after that a brisk 15 minute walk to reach the hotel (also with their big suitcases). 

I normally would help out but I let them suffer. Nevertheless, after arriving to the hotel and walking back to the office, the wife of my co-worker didn't waste time to get to Dadeland Mall, where she spend the rest of the day, walking I'm sure. 

The good part was that the girls pushing the wheelchairs let me pass migration in Miami on the fast lane with them as well. 

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Your kidding, right?

Huh? I always board first. More time to enjoy my (adult) pre departure beverage.  And I’m not really sure what you guys are talking about with “seat stealing” and “middle seats”? Are there really seats back there? I always thought everything behind row 4 on the 737-800’s that United flys was just cargo space? (;-) 😉:nervous:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Huh? I always board first. More time to enjoy my (adult) pre departure beverage.  And I’m not really sure what you guys are talking about with “seat stealing” and “middle seats”? Are there really seats back there? I always thought everything behind row 4 on the 737-800’s that United flys was just cargo space? (;-) ??????:nervous:

I always thought it was fake news that some people pay triple to sit on the other side of the curtain....:p

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I agree 100%

I always thought it was fake news that some people pay triple to sit on the other side of the curtain....:p
.    LOL!   Triple? Sometimes it can be 10X the economy price! But it’s not fake news.......some people ARE crazy enough to pay that. 

As for me, the expression “I’ve never paid for it in my life!” comes to mind. :)-) I’m fortunate enough to have been top two tiers (Platinum/1K) in the United frequent flyer program for the last 10+ years. During that period I’ve been upgraded to First on every single flight to the Caribbean for free (they call it a “CPU” Complimetary Premier Upgrade).

It helps that the DR is primarily a tourist route. Very few business travelers to compete with for the CPU’s. On heavy business routes in the US (hub to hub) the limited amount of free upgrades usually go to the “secret” level elite flyers above me (they’re called “GS” for Global Services” and the qualification criteria is unpublished.). 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
This is quickly morphing into how "I fly like a BIP and my baseball cap & wristwatch are flashier than yours" thread ...
what was the OP about again ??
lmao

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
.    LOL!   Triple? Sometimes it can be 10X the economy price! But it’s not fake news.......some people ARE crazy enough to pay that. 

As for me, the expression “I’ve never paid for it in my life!” comes to mind. :)-) I’m fortunate enough to have been top two tiers (Platinum/1K) in the United frequent flyer program for the last 10+ years. During that period I’ve been upgraded to First on every single flight to the Caribbean for free (they call it a “CPU” Complimetary Premier Upgrade).

It helps that the DR is primarily a tourist route. Very few business travelers to compete with for the CPU’s. On heavy business routes in the US (hub to hub) the limited amount of free upgrades usually go to the “secret” level elite flyers above me (they’re called “GS” for Global Services” and the qualification criteria is unpublished.). 

Call me one of the crazy ones then, because, as much as I don't like to, am sometimes forced to do just that. There are vendors which do not allow you to make your seat assignment at the time of booking, and others who simply block seats.
I have been screwed enough by booking these flights, only to call the airline directly and be told that I'm out of luck.
This means that if I'm unable to select my aisle seat at time of booking, I'm forced to upgrade to premium cabin, business, or 1st.
Pizzes me off, but I know of no other way around this scam.