GETTING OLD HERE...GOOD STUFF

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I plan on being cared for here... one day... in my old, infirm state when it grips me.

My feeling is the people are sympathetic enough to care for you...
especially if you have a good history with them.

I went to the dentist today... regular clean/checkup

New girl on the counter.

As I'm squaring up at the end , she stops dead and stands up.

Stares at my shirt and grabs her scissors !!

I had one of those loose threads on a button hole... sticking out.
She had to stop and fix it... regardless.

Just reinforced my sentiments that care would be forthcoming when needed.

I hope I'm right !!!???!!!

Only in the DR.......
Feel good story for the day, for me

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not the same dentist - Bird
Just my Sosua clean girl....

They find me Bird....

I run but can't hide.....

AND !! I had my fly done up....how bout that !!???

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
If a person becomes unable to care for himself due to old age, what is the typical cost for a caregiver to come to your home and for nursing home care in DR? Where I live in USA, it's $20 (US) per hour for in-home care giver and about $100,000 (US) per year for nursing home care. These prices are typical for reputable and licensed entities.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If a person becomes unable to care for himself due to old age, what is the typical cost for a caregiver to come to your home and for nursing home care in DR? Where I live in USA, it's $20 (US) per hour for in-home care giver and about $100,000 (US) per year for nursing home care. These prices are typical for reputable and licensed entities.

I don't think anyone can answer that with reliability here. There are no "licensed" individuals or facilities that I am aware of in the DR to which to make comparisons versus the US.

Each individual will currently choose his own path when the time comes. The subject has been discussed as a potential revenue stream in the DR, but so far there does not seem to be such an industry.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I don't think anyone can answer that with reliability here. There are no "licensed" individuals or facilities that I am aware of in the DR to which to make comparisons versus the US.

Each individual will currently choose his own path when the time comes. The subject has been discussed as a potential revenue stream in the DR, but so far there does not seem to be such an industry.

Good!
The system in Nova Scotia is free for Nursing Homes ... paid for with taxes.
I too am studying old age care for the time when it falls upon me.
At 75 I recon I will require some basic care at 80 ; and more direct care at 85.
The Dominican people I know are so very caring for the elders.
They respect them, look after their needs and spend quality time with them. Not in a N.S. Gov. funded Nursing Home.
WW not sure how young you are , but I think you got a good view of potential care.

I have an old friend here in RD who turns 103 on 24 December... lives alone in El Campo... always someone at his place talking to him, feeding him, doing laundry and ensuring he keeps well.
My kind of people.
Russell

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This is the reason the family module is so important within the RD. When you reach your senior years, it is a time-honoured tradition that your family provides for you, regardless of the circumstances.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
This is the reason the family module is so important within the RD. When you reach your senior years, it is a time-honoured tradition that your family provides for you, regardless of the circumstances.

That is good to hear. I was just reading an article that in Japan that time honored tradition has broken down and that, sadly, elderly Japanese are dying alone and left rotting for weeks.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
That is good to hear. I was just reading an article that in Japan that time honored tradition has broken down and that, sadly, elderly Japanese are dying alone and left rotting for weeks.

A link to the article please.....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

My mom just past away at age 100. She spend the last 5+ years. We spend over $400,000 for her care for that time which included meals and assistance, as she no longer walked. It definitely put a dent in my sister's and my bank accounts. If you can get use the restroom yourself it is slightly less. The more assistance a person needs the more the price increases.
Assisted living facilities in the Southern states can be found for slightly less than $5K, is what I have heard.
But old age is not cheap for certain.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
My mom just past away at age 100. She spend the last 5+ years. We spend over $400,000 for her care for that time which included meals and assistance, as she no longer walked. It definitely put a dent in my sister's and my bank accounts. If you can get use the restroom yourself it is slightly less. The more assistance a person needs the more the price increases.
Assisted living facilities in the Southern states can be found for slightly less than $5K, is what I have heard.

Condolences.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Its a fraction of what you will pay in the US.
They will not wear uniforms and they do not come to your house. They live in.
They will not have a bunch of licenses and cpr certifications but a person will get far superior attentive care in the DR as long as there is a Dominican person to oversee it all.

It is me I would take home care in the DR over the best of what money could buy in the US.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sadly enough, it is proven all too often that assisted living facilities will provide assisted living, only until the money runs out.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Sorry to hear about your mom.
It is a tragedy that Americans can be financially devastated by end of life palliative medical expenses.
Most of the at home care providers are operated by a nursing service that takes a cut and further raises the cost.

Only my view but if I ever need at home care I will absolutely be in the DR.

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014

Sorry to hear about your mom.

My wife's been totally disabled for about 5 years now. I've been doing practically all of the work caring for her. It's tough but I figured we saved hundreds of thousands $.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a growing industry of elderly carr facilities with waiting lists for most of them. Thirty years ago, my step sister said that this was the business to get into...and she was so right...Yes, there are facilities. Jarabacoa and Santiago have them. And I have heard that there is one in Santo Domingo...I am sure that there are more.

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good to hear HB

Elderly care is an interesting study.
Might be one of a few businesses, if not the only one, in which the people have never experienced what they providing-

A teacher has taught, a Doctor has had a Doctor, and so on.

Elderly care is different.
It certainly is expensive and I expect lonely.