Brands of House Paint.....

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Looking to do some Interior house painting and would like some opinions on what is the best brand(s) available.
Going to use both semi-gloss and flat. The colors are white for the ceiling (flat), and cream for the walls (semi).

Not looking for cheap, looking for quality like Benjamin Moore paints.
Appreciate any help....

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Looking to do some Interior house painting and would like some opinions on what is the best brand(s) available.
Going to use both semi-gloss and flat. The colors are white for the ceiling (flat), and cream for the walls (semi).

Not looking for cheap, looking for quality like Benjamin Moore paints.
Appreciate any help....

I prefer Popular.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Last year we had our office repainted with Pintura Popular semi-gloss that you can clean. The best thing we could've done. We've got white and yellow walls throughout and before repainting I had to go around every few months with my paint brush and can of paint to touch up scuff marks and stuff. Haven't have to do that since then and the few areas we've had to clean look like new.

At home I have Sherwin Williams (flat) and the day I have to repaint, it won't be with the same stuff. You touch it with a finger and you can almost lift a print off of it.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Popular brand paints, are there different grades, if so what is their top of the line called ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We’ve used Popular and Tropical. For the bathrooms we used Sherwin Williams because the have a line with mold inhibitors. All were good. Bought the SW at Ferriteria Americana

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I use nothing but Benjamin Moore.

Where are you located because there is a Benjamin Moore store in Santo Domingo.

Semi-gloss for the walls? I recall a few years back there was a paint thread and from what i remember what Popular calls semi-gloss would not be the same as what Benjamin Moore calls semi-gloss. Benjamin Moore semi-gloss would have a slight shine to it and used for trim work. Eggshell or satin finish is what is normally used on walls.

I recently did a small paint job and used Benjamin Moore Advance. Now this is top of the line but definitely not cheap. Benjamin Moore Regal is quality paint at an affordable price.

just my two paint brushes...............

https://www.facebook.com/benjaminmoorerd/

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Popular and Tropical are the same in quality. (Tropical being Corripio and Popular being Vicini and Corripio). 

They are probably the best local brands. 

I’d never buy SW for simple house painting. For woodwork it’s probably worth it. 

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I use nothing but Benjamin Moore.

Where are you located because there is a Benjamin Moore store in Santo Domingo.

Semi-gloss for the walls? I recall a few years back there was a paint thread and from what i remember what Popular calls semi-gloss would not be the same as what Benjamin Moore calls semi-gloss. Benjamin Moore semi-gloss would have a slight shine to it and used for trim work. Eggshell or satin finish is what is normally used on walls.

I recently did a small paint job and used Benjamin Moore Advance. Now this is top of the line but definitely not cheap. Benjamin Moore Regal is quality paint at an affordable price.

just my two paint brushes...............

https://www.facebook.com/benjaminmoorerd/

I would prefer a satin finish, but haven't found it or Moore paints available here in Santiago.
I always used Moore back in the states, and you're right, not cheap, but worth it.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We’ve used Popular and Tropical. For the bathrooms we used Sherwin Williams because the have a line with mold inhibitors. All were good. Bought the SW at Ferriteria Americana

The good stuff that lasts forever and is shiny is Acrylic Semi Gloss. Both Popular and Tropical make it. I lean towards Popular.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The paint is important, but the base in importanter ( ;) ).

Make sure the base is prepped properly and slathering on a coat of primer (I use a waterproofing primer on exterior & exterior-interior walls) is a huge help to both longevity and appearance.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Make sure the base is prepped properly and slathering on a coat of primer (I use a waterproofing primer on exterior & exterior-interior walls) is a huge help to both longevity and appearance.

I totally agree, a good coat of primer first is more importanter :)

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
on the outside has anyone used an add in anti mildew powder.
mildew keeps me repainting the outside every few years.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Semi gloss or egg shell paint is good to clean but shows all of the imperfections in a wall. Flat does not. And has a better look.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
on the outside has anyone used an add in anti mildew powder.
mildew keeps me repainting the outside every few years.
The mildew usually comes from underneath the paint, from the block or solid concrete. Generally, it means the block either has moisture wicking through it, a crack in the solid concrete allowing moisture penetration or the surfacw was not fully dry when painted.

That why it's best to use a waterproofing primer before the paint.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
They have great waterproofing primer paints here. The one made for roofs is especially good for concrete. Great to use for wood too.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Good advice - also block walls and the plaster finish off-gas (efflorescence).

Simply sealed over, the trapped efflorescence, transforms to crytoflorescence. This expands until it destroys the paint, plaster or even the masonry. Cleaning up the efflorescence is done with brushing with soap and water then rinsing with clear water and letting dry well.
Let your walls age for a month after cleaning before painting - it will last longer

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Good advice - also block walls and the plaster finish off-gas (efflorescence).

Simply sealed over, the trapped efflorescence, transforms to crytoflorescence. This expands until it destroys the paint, plaster or even the masonry. Cleaning up the efflorescence is done with brushing with soap and water then rinsing with clear water and letting dry well.
Let your walls age for a month after cleaning before painting - it will last longer
Cleaning with TSP is an excellent treatment.

If the surface is properly prepared, i.e. cleaning the surface with TSP (trisodium phosphate: we'd use it in a pressure washer, followed by a water rinse), a good waterproof primer and then paint, almost any paint will look great a long time.

Given a preference of where to spend $$$, I would go with the prep and primer.