View Poll Results: Should Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo be allowed to run for the presidency in 2020?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he's a Dominican and isn't responsible for this things his grandfather did.

37 75.51%
  • Yes, but I'm not too comfortable having him as president.

2 4.08%
  • No, he's a Trujillo. 'Nuff said!

7 14.29%
  • Whatever... I'm indifferent.

3 6.12%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo: Next Presidente of Dominican Republic?

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo: Next Presidente of Dominican Republic?

In the last few days there has been a new commotion within the Dominican political spheres and in the media. The fault lies on Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo (Rafael Leónidas Trujillo grandson) making public his intention to run for the Presidency of the Dominican Republic in 2020. Not only does he wants to become president, but he also created his own political party because he wants to bring something 'new' to Dominican politics and to the DR in general.

Many anti-Trujillistas are practically up in arms due to this. While Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo says it again and again that he was born and raised in the USA, that all that he knows is how democracy works from the best democracy in the world (his words), that he knows what a well functioning society is like and wants to replicate that in the DR; many people in the media continue to throw at him what his grandfather did.

This insistance on bestowing upon the descendant of dictator Rafael Leónidas Trujillo the sins of his grandfather is clearly evident in this latest interview (he has been interviewed a lot in recent days.)

Chances are very high that if Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo was to run for the presidency he would win, just on the basis of his last name. Everyone knows that and that's part of the reason why the political establishment is now shaking at the thought of such a thing.
    Last edited by NALs; 12-14-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    Moderator Polls Forum

2. Likes cavok, Caonabo liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Dominican high ranking people have made public their rejection of Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo's presidential aspirations. Notice how they reject him always imposing on him what his grandfather did, as if Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo is himself responsible for the dictatorship, despite that he was born in the USA and years after the dictatorship ended.

Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo is a son of Angelita Trujillo, daughter of Rafael Leónidas Trujillo.

Moderator Polls Forum

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Many other Dominican media commentators, such as this guy from Santiago, are in favor of giving Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo a chance. He says that its unfair that Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo is being judged by some as if he himself is his grandfather.

By the way, Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo has said on multiple occasions that his entire family is against his political aspirations. But, he's his own mind and always makes his own decisions based on his own reasoning.
    Moderator Polls Forum

5. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If we are to be judged by the sins of our father or grandfathers, then woe be to all of us. The little that I have seen so far of his interactions with kids and the public seems better than what I have seen of either Leonel or Danilo. I really don't have a horse in this race but it will be what it will be. The current president seems to be a deaf mute because he neither hears nor responds to any of the myriad of issues currently affecting this country. But hey, he seems to be able to get away with it.

7. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I am curious to hear what he thinks he can bring that is
    'new' to Dominican politics and to the DR in general.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"Chances are very high that if Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo was to run for the presidency he would win, just on the basis of his last name. Everyone knows that and that's part of the reason why the political establishment is now shaking at the thought of such a thing".

I don't believe that this is necessarily true. Is there some poll (not that I trust most of them) or some sort of support for this affirmation? I think his name would automatically make him a loser with many people.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot vote. However, I would love to see him win. He is a friend

Moderator dr1.com

http://www.partidoesperanzademocratica.org/sitio/

Estoy con Ramfis 2020

11. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    "Chances are very high that if Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo was to run for the presidency he would win, just on the basis of his last name. Everyone knows that and that's part of the reason why the political establishment is now shaking at the thought of such a thing".

I don't believe that this is necessarily true. Is there some poll (not that I trust most of them) or some sort of support for this affirmation? I think his name would automatically make him a loser with many people.
    There is much support in this affirmation.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    I cannot vote. However, I would love to see him win. He is a friend
    He is a good man.

14. Likes Frank the Tank liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr AE is a Dominican who lived under Trujillo.  He says let him run, he’s not responsible for anything his grandfather did.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast