Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo: Next President of Dominican Republic?

Should Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo be allowed to run for the presidency in 2020?

• Yes, he's a Dominican and isn't responsible for the things his grandfather did.

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • Yes, but I'm not too comfortable having him as president.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • No, he's a Trujillo. 'Nuff said!

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Whatever... I'm indifferent.

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the last few days there has been a new commotion within the Dominican political spheres and in the media. The fault lies on Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo (Rafael Leónidas Trujillo grandson) making public his intention to run for the Presidency of the Dominican Republic in 2020. Not only does he wants to become president, but he also created his own political party because he wants to bring something 'new' to Dominican politics and to the DR in general.

Many anti-Trujillistas are practically up in arms due to this. While Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo says it again and again that he was born and raised in the USA, that all that he knows is how democracy works from the best democracy in the world (his words), that he knows what a well functioning society is like and wants to replicate that in the DR; many people in the media continue to throw at him what his grandfather did.

This insistance on bestowing upon the descendant of dictator Rafael Leónidas Trujillo the sins of his grandfather is clearly evident in this latest interview (he has been interviewed a lot in recent days.)

[video=youtube;qmDS3CCUw-4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmDS3CCUw-4[/video]

Chances are very high that if Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo was to run for the presidency he would win, just on the basis of his last name. Everyone knows that and that's part of the reason why the political establishment is now shaking at the thought of such a thing.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Some Dominican high ranking people have made public their rejection of Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo's presidential aspirations. Notice how they reject him always imposing on him what his grandfather did, as if Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo is himself responsible for the dictatorship, despite that he was born in the USA and years after the dictatorship ended.

Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo is a son of Angelita Trujillo, daughter of Rafael Leónidas Trujillo.

[video=youtube;IK9LqBPZoOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK9LqBPZoOQ[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Many other Dominican media commentators, such as this guy from Santiago, are in favor of giving Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo a chance. He says that its unfair that Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo is being judged by some as if he himself is his grandfather.

[video=youtube;bCmQKn5xHV4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCmQKn5xHV4[/video]

By the way, Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo has said on multiple occasions that his entire family is against his political aspirations. But, he's his own mind and always makes his own decisions based on his own reasoning.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
If we are to be judged by the sins of our father or grandfathers, then woe be to all of us. The little that I have seen so far of his interactions with kids and the public seems better than what I have seen of either Leonel or Danilo. I really don't have a horse in this race but it will be what it will be. The current president seems to be a deaf mute because he neither hears nor responds to any of the myriad of issues currently affecting this country. But hey, he seems to be able to get away with it.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
"Chances are very high that if Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo was to run for the presidency he would win, just on the basis of his last name. Everyone knows that and that's part of the reason why the political establishment is now shaking at the thought of such a thing".

I don't believe that this is necessarily true. Is there some poll (not that I trust most of them) or some sort of support for this affirmation? I think his name would automatically make him a loser with many people.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
"Chances are very high that if Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo was to run for the presidency he would win, just on the basis of his last name. Everyone knows that and that's part of the reason why the political establishment is now shaking at the thought of such a thing".

I don't believe that this is necessarily true. Is there some poll (not that I trust most of them) or some sort of support for this affirmation? I think his name would automatically make him a loser with many people.

There is much support in this affirmation.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr AE is a Dominican who lived under Trujillo.  He says let him run, he’s not responsible for anything his grandfather did.  

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
According to article 20 of the Constitution of the DR, he can't run for president:
"Párrafo.- Las dominicanas y los dominicanos que adopten otra nacionalidad, por acto voluntario o por el lugar de nacimiento, podrán aspirar a la presidencia y vicepresidencia de la República, si renunciaren a la nacionalidad adquirida con diez años de anticipación a la elección y residieren en el país durante los diez años previos al cargo. Sin embargo, podrán ocupar otros cargos electivos, ministeriales o de representación diplomática del país en el exterior y en organismos internacionales, sin renunciar a la nacionalidad adquirida."

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
What? They left family members live after they killed his grandfather? they need to study mid east and African way of getting rid of dictators. lol

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
According to article 20 of the Constitution of the DR, he can't run for president:
"Párrafo.- Las dominicanas y los dominicanos que adopten otra nacionalidad, por acto voluntario o por el lugar de nacimiento, podrán aspirar a la presidencia y vicepresidencia de la República, si renunciaren a la nacionalidad adquirida con diez años de anticipación a la elección y residieren en el país durante los diez años previos al cargo. Sin embargo, podrán ocupar otros cargos electivos, ministeriales o de representación diplomática del país en el exterior y en organismos internacionales, sin renunciar a la nacionalidad adquirida."
I'm not sure, but doesn't Leonel have dual citizenship?

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Many other Dominican media commentators, such as this guy from Santiago, are in favor of giving Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo a chance. He says that its unfair that Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo is being judged by some as if he himself is his grandfather.

[video=youtube;bCmQKn5xHV4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCmQKn5xHV4[/video]

By the way, Ramfis Domínguez Trujillo has said on multiple occasions that his entire family is against his political aspirations. But, he's his own mind and always makes his own decisions based on his own reasoning.

Why an American thinks he has a right to govern Dominicans is what is truly ridiculous, never-mind his last name and family heritage.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Why an American thinks he has a right to govern Dominicans is what is truly ridiculous, never-mind his last name and family heritage.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is it convenient to allow Trujillo to run anyway by changing the constitution?

That would clearly disaulify Trujillo from running if he did not renounce other citizenship at least 10 years ago and also not live in the DR for at least 10 years.

Of course, they do change the constitution when convenient. Is it convenient to allow Trujillo to run?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I say let the guy have a go at it. When his grandfather was in power
people who lived in this country could sleep with their doors unlocked
at night. How nice would that be?

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
What? They left family members live after they killed his grandfather? they need to study mid east and African way of getting rid of dictators. lol

Back in 1961 there was never a revolution in the traditional sense in the DR.....never a mass movement of rebels with support of the population....Trujillo was dispensed off by some disgruntle individuals who were once part of his clique....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Back in 1961 there was never a revolution in the traditional sense in the DR.....never a mass movement of rebels with support of the population....Trujillo was dispensed off by some disgruntle individuals who were once part of his clique....

True, but wasn’t there a law passed that removed his name from everywhere and prohibited praising him, etc?  We bought a CD on the beach a couple of years ago, Trujillo ‘s favorite songs/songs written about him or some such thing.  We were told it’s actually illegal to own it or play it.  

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I say let the guy have a go at it. When his grandfather was in power
people who lived in this country could sleep with their doors unlocked
at night. How nice would that be?

especially when he was sleeping in the other room with the guy's wife.