Christmas Eve Dominican Dinner

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I wonder how many DR1 members will be enjoying traditional Dominican fare on Christmas Eve in very Dominican settings.

I for one will be in very rural campo on the Sanchez Ramirez/Monte Plata border with roasted pig on the menu with the grandparents, aunts, uncles and family of my esposa. She bought the pig the other day. For this I forego my turkey and trimmings this year on Christmas Day........but I have stocked up on French wine from Carrefour today for later....but that will not be the drink of the day come Sunday when I expect a very simple but memorable day.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I wonder how many DR1 members will be enjoying traditional Dominican fare on Christmas Eve in very Dominican settings.

I for one will be in very rural campo on the Sanchez Ramirez/Monte Plata border with roasted pig on the menu with the grandparents, aunts, uncles and family of my esposa. She bought the pig the other day. For this I forego my turkey and trimmings this year on Christmas Day........but I have stocked up on French wine from Carrefour today for later....but that will not be the drink of the day come Sunday when I expect a very simple but memorable day.

You won't be enjoying your French wine over le porc? What a shame.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
This DR1 member flew in from Buenos Aires in order to share the Christmas and New Year's festivities with my Dominican side of the family. Traditional at it's very best.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've been through this almost every year apart from few winter trips home.

this year we are supposed to part with dominican tradition and do xmas lunch instead. partly because my SIL is in recovery after the surgery and partly because no one wants to drive in the evening. menu widens the gap even more, i hear it's going to be mariscos. i provide baked goods: pan de jamon, parker house butter rolls, tiramisu cheesecake, apple pie and kouign amann (that's the plan).

let's see how it goes...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will not be...

I am freezing in Philadelphia.... damp & cold
UK cannot be worse.

Fires roaring - that's good.

Ham today... Capon Christmas Day... Duck later in the week.

Happy Holidays !!

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
The 24th for me is going to be very busy here in cotui with my wife having to cook for her cena at her grandma's house and then we head over to my abuelas house for her cena there. Bellies full and beer and liquor pouring throughout the night. What a night haha. I prefer Dominican Christmas over my American Christmas any day.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
As I posted earlier, will spend it with gf's family, Tios, Tias, abuelas, the whole lot.They plan to rent space on a terrace somewhere with tables and chairs, potluck style. Vamos a ver,. From what I've witnessed in past gatherings, they appear to be very cool.
I will miss my bird.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

this year we are supposed to part with dominican tradition and do xmas lunch instead. partly because my SIL is in recovery after the surgery and partly because no one wants to drive in the evening. menu widens the gap even more, i hear it's going to be mariscos. i provide baked goods: pan de jamon, parker house butter rolls, tiramisu cheesecake, apple pie and kouign amann (that's the plan).

let's see how it goes...

DV8, How long have you been making kouign amann. Do you also call it queen's pastry? Do you use large salt crystals?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We will, about 30 assorted siblings and spawn in Santiago.

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
The 24th for me is going to be very busy here in cotui with my wife having to cook for her cena at her grandma's house and then we head over to my abuelas house for her cena there. Bellies full and beer and liquor pouring throughout the night. What a night haha. I prefer Dominican Christmas over my American Christmas any day.

Greetings I am visiting in SD and would be interested in attending - if invited obviously - a nice dinner. I am actually considering settling here having just retired. I worked in SD for 3 years ending in 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

let's see how it goes...

no doggie bag for ol gorgon?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DV8, How long have you been making kouign amann. Do you also call it queen's pastry? Do you use large salt crystals?

i am not that good of a baker to be making it on regular basis. only few months ago i came across this recipe and made it straight away with amazeballs result. miesposo has been bugging me to make it again ever since but it takes literally all day. still, what better occasion to spend time on pastry making than xmas?

for the dough i use regular salt.

now my MIL says not to make too many sweets because she wants to prepare... boxed cake. i'm ignoring her completely. :rolleyes:

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
We are not having a Christmas Eve Dinner but on Christmas Day. Over the past years we have gone with the Canadian traditional stuffed turkey, dressing, potatoes, gravy, squash and green beans. However we could never compete with the aroma of slow roasted pork emanating from every one around us. So this year it will be roasted leg of pork, potatoes, gravy, squash and fiddleheads. ( yes I smuggled them in). Can't wait for Christmas ! Wishing a Merry Christmas to all!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
For the 2nd year in a row, I wont be organising dominican family xmas meal....... too stressful among other things.
The Pig used to be something to look foward too, tne first Xmas's in the dr...... now not so much, too much waste.
I do intend to kill a pig though, but I'll butcher it for the meat. It should see me through a couple of months of sausages, carne salado, etc,.........
I wont miss puerco asado as I live in pig country, roadside stands sell puerco asado every saturday and/or sunday. Also SIL, supppsedly, is preparing a pig......

So the 24th dinner will be home-made fish&chips, beer batter, will you please ;) ;) and peas :).

The 25th will be porc filet-mignon. I stuff it with cream cheese and wrap it in bacon, and then slowly cook it in the oven. Served most probably with linguine, brussel sprout and a made-from-cooking-fat sauce.
Starters will be gratin of mussels, sauté shrimps and salad.
Desset, most likely fruit salad and chocolate sponge cake with vanilla icing.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Christmas eve will be slow cooker roasted pork, moro con guandules with coco and vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower and sprouts). Christmas day we usually have turkey but due to oven having been eaten by rats we will have 2 big paellas, with russian salad, normal salad and aioli and fresh baked bread.

Matilda

Aug 21, 2007
Bought an imported prime rib roast from Supermercado Nacional. After the drive to and from Jamao for church on Christmas eve, it's too late to deal with cooking. Will have a Christmas meal around mid day. Made my mother's deceased best friend's New York cheesecake. And will do homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

Did buy ingredients for bloody Mary's. It's Christmas, after all, and they are red.

Hope your days are happy. Wishing you all the love of family and friends and an abundance of blessings for today and your tomorrows.

Lindsey