Thanks for a real discussion on race!!

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
I know that for some of you it was hard to
come to express some of your feelings on race
but it is necessary for us to first be truthful with ourselves. For the rest of you all it was very easy because you saw a forum to talk about the unfairness of racism, good job.

And for the rest of you all it was also easy because you were just looking for a forum to
elaborate on your racist views which is perfectly fine. Personally myself I enjoy the fact that I can travel to the DR and not have to worry about
seeing a white person until it's time to return to the States, no this is not racism it is simply how I feel sometimes, I only hope that for those of
you that want to export your slime from the
US to the DR fail terribly.

Thanks, again everybody for a lively discussion
and thankyou to GOLO.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
How can you say enjoying not seeing a white person is not a racist comment? If it were said the other way around you'd be all over it....
(oh, or are only white folks capable of racsim?) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
an expression of my true feeling at the time.

I see those people, I work with them I live with them, sometimes a change in scenery is good.

I love the diversity of the DR and that statement was made in that context perhaps you should ask
how someone who believes that the termination of many innocent Haitains is not a racist statment?

Actually you can say whatever you like I do not judge people based soley on there beliefs.

REMEMBER WE ARE HAVING A TRUTHFUL AND FREE FLOWING DISCUSSION.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
teminations of Haitians

While I disagree with the proposed treatement of Haitains, note that the statements being made are Nationalistic, not racist. Color is not the distiction but nationality and culture.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Isaac, I'd have to agree with you there, those statments you refer to about Haitians are racists too (I don't take up every arguement, I've already overspent my lunch hour).
Interesting point Shadley, that the basis of the comments is Nationality, not colour, but doesn't that still make the comments at least bigotry if not racist. Depends on how you define it I guess. Is race based just on colour, or something else?
We have our own instances of bigotry here in Canada too, (based on language), but the "racism" word gets tossed around even though racially the two groups are the same...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Well Said Shad!

Unfortunately as Hillbilly pointed out in the DR. the lighter you are the better chance you have to advance......That being said...see my comments on INAPA in "gov't Bashings.......
The Head honcho we met with was blacker than the ace of spades, very well educated, in a high ranking,well paying position. So while the colour of your skin and your facial features may aid or deter your advancement it is really your education level and your ability to promote your own abilities that is more of a determining factor in how far you advance in this country.....
The dislike of the Haitians IS more of a Nationalistic thing than a racial thing altho' in certain individuals racism is evident.
On the whole I have found to DR to be remarkable non-racist much like Canada....although there are exceptions to the rule.
By the way....for some reason I have found American Blacks to MUCH MORE RACIST than their white counter-part (with the exclusion of the KKK and the "Aryan Brotherhood"). Why is that????

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Isaac,
You've never seen a white person in the DR? That's very strange.There's many white Dominicans that I know of. Perhaps your not as uptight when your on holidays as you are back home. Never use color or nationality as an excuse for not geting ahead in life.

eric

Feb 13, 2002
since we are having a truthful discussion

I admit that we have racism in the U.S. Not to belittle that fact,or downplay anyones suffering I want to put a new spin on this.I believe that racism has created a whole cottage industry where people don't even have to try to succeed anymore.They don't want to get an education,or try to start a new business.They want to be the professional "victim".With cries of "racism" they think the world owes them a living.They paint the picture that it is impossible for a minority to make it in America.Well that is total B.S. Just look at all the people that come here from other countries that value education and hard work.Golo is retired at what ,his mid thirties?He seems well educated obviously he worked hard to get where he is today.Tony C is Cuban.From reading the threads,he has started several businesses,traveled the world,and is not looking for a government handout.AZB spent years in school,and is living his dream.Yes racism is real,the world would be a much better place without it,but that is no reason to just sit back and whine,and demand the world pay your way through life.Making claims that the U.S. is exporting racism is crap.We have more than our share of racism,but we are also the most diverse country on the planet

Quamilus

Mar 20, 2002
Listen man...

What part of the country do you live in? Have you ever beeen to the ghettoes of Atlanta , New orleans , or New York. True. Some people( not most) have grown complacent with their situations, but the fact of the matter is that many African Americans are born into social and economically challenged circumstances. I grew up in the ghetto. Before I managed to obtain My degree from Morehouse in History/Education, I was forced to sell drugs as a youth just so my family could eat. Iwasnt able to work legally until I was 16. those jobs were for minimum wage and disgusting. In the proceess of trying to do well I was shot in the chest by police for "looking like a suspect". It is not uncommon for people of African Heritage to Experience these factors.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Racism in the USA

It is alive and well,but out of about 275 million of us we seldome kill each other solely because of race.I can,t remember the last time a young boy,black or white or hispanic or asian,strapped a bomb to his chest ,went to a "Disco" where "THEY" go,and blew everyone to pieces! Our "Racism" is subtle. .....but we admire,and reward those of any race or color or religion,or from "far away lands" who work hard,or studies hard to make a better life for them or their family. Criss Coln

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Anna and MommC

Yes that is a true statement my focus in the DR is to get away from the EURO and Gringo crowd
on my first trip to the DR I didn't see ner one.

People don't get me wrong I will say it I am only human a man of flesh and bone. I want sometime to
be of people that I believe that I have more in common with than others does this make me racist no!!! it makes me honest.

As for the Nationalism spin its just that a spin
if the way some Dominicans feel about Haitians
is Nationalistic than are they not saying that
the DR is better than Haiti and is not racism the
belief of superiority over another group?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
EXCUSE ME!!!

There's way too much "colour" going on here!!!
Let me make a comment on "attitude" and personal pride .
While travelling to Philadelphia to take our son to a special clinic (long drive from where we live in Canada), we decided to do some sight-seeing so our other children would have something "good" to remember about the trip (you know Liberty Bell and all that stuff!).
We took a wrong turn (I never was that great at reading a map with three young children in the van....) and ended up in a "slum" neighbourhood-that just happened to be "black"- I've seen "white" ones almost the same in the "wilds" of Tennesee,Kentucky and Virgina. There was garbage piled in every available square inch. If you could see a lawn it was three feet high grass with patches of dirt and lots of litter, there were apartment buildings with no front doors,few windows,and garbage piled three to four feet high in the stairwells uo to the third floor with people hanging out the windows calling to their neighbours across the street. I was disgusted to say the least.
There is no shame in being poor!! but there is shame in allowing it to drag you down to the point where you have no self respect (hmmmm - RESPECT- a word jjsk uses a lot also!)
I have seen dirt poor people here in the DR. Yes they live in a tin shantie with lots of holes and dirt floors. But those floors are swept every day. Garbage may be piled in the yard (because there is NO garbage pick-up, unlike Philly) but it is piles in one area of the yard. There may be no grass for lack of water but even the yard is swept clean every day. They share with their families and friends whatever they have......They don't cry "I'M BLACK" You have to help me because I'm descended from slaves (which they are!!) I have never had a break! YOU OWE ME BECAUSE YOU DID THIS TO ME!
Each and every one of us chooses the path we will take. Not all of us becomes millionaire but we all have the capacity to live our life with dignity,self respect and respect for others. We all choose wether we will be tolerant of others and their cultures and beliefs - regardless of race,creed or colour.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Nationalism-not Racism.....

You missed it......Most Dominicans are not saying they don't want Haitians here. What they are saying is they don't want them here illegally, taking employment from Dominicans, using the health care system (which is sorely inadequate as it is), and utilizing resources which they don't have in their own land.
Have you seen what the Haitians have done to their side of the island?????
It used to be the "best" most lush tropical part of Hispaniola.

eric

Feb 13, 2002
Quamilus

I live in Boston.I have also visited all three of the cities you mentioned.I have also visited your native Jamaica.Your experiences prove my point.You moved here from another country ,had a rough time of it.You have experienced racism,and seen how rough it can be in America.We all know how corrupt the police can be.But you didn't quit did you?You went to a good school,you have an excellent education.I know things are hard for African Americans here,I never said that they were not,but things were not all that great in Jamaica either were they?I don't know what you do for a living,but with your education I am sure that you are doing better than me as an air conditioning tech.Bottom line is you did not quit .You fought on,and you won.You have the education,you are well spoken,and well traveled.African Americans could use more role models like you.Hard work and perseverance.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Listen man...

Quamilus said:
Before I managed to obtain My degree from Morehouse in History/Education, I was forced to sell drugs as a youth....
In the proceess of trying to do well I was shot in the chest by police for "looking like a suspect". It is not uncommon for people of African Heritage to Experience these factors.

Quamilus, I applaud you for rising above your difficult beginnings, but maybe you were shot by the cops because you were a drug dealer, not because of your colour?

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
No, Isaac, racism is not one group being better than another...it is of one race hating another another race...

Most Dominicans are of mixed race...many are as black or blacker than most Haitians...it ain't a racial thing for most...black Dominicans hate Haitians just as much as other Dominicans.

"my focus in the DR is to get away from the EURO and Gringo crowd " How do you expect me to feel as a caucasian when you refer to me as a gringo? Is this not racist? Actually it doesn't bother me since what you call me is unimportant, I've been called too many names for it to bother me now. But the point is...

Quamilus:

"I was forced to sell drugs as a youth just so my family could eat. Iwasnt able to work legally until I was 16. those jobs were for minimum wage and disgusting. In the proceess of trying to do well I was shot in the chest by police for "looking like a suspect". It is not uncommon for people of African Heritage to Experience these factors."

Who forced you to sell drugs? Which is more disgusting, selling drugs or flipping hamburgers for minimum wage? You were shot bypolice for " looking like a suspect". Were the police charged? Why did they fire? Could it have anything to do with your having been a drug dealer. Sorry, By bringing up your past career you have lost any credibility with me.

It is uncommon for people of African Heritage to be shot. It happens, sometimes by accident or sometimes because of the person's actions but it is NOT common.

What is uncommon is to become a drug dealer and blame it on others...most Black Americans don't turn to a life of crime. If they do it is by choice, not racism.

You may have turned your personal life around and not be doing criminal acts now. I am glad for you...but you also need to turn around some of your "poor me" attitude.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
No some of you miss the point!!

I don't get it MommC what does a ghetto in Philly
have to do with the state of relations between the
Dominicans and the Haitians?

I'm not looking for a quota or a preference,
what I earn is from my own labor and ability
to think not the benevolence of ohters.

Again I ask how best can the beff between the DR and the Haitians be solved? That is the point afterall.

I say again if the Dominicans can forgive those good ole Spanairds from beloved Europe who completely ravaged their ancestors why can they not be equally forgiving of the Haitains because
it's because some Dominicans have been poisoned
by the venomous snakes that have slithered to the
DR from the States and from Europe.

I am starting to wonder does anyone have the guts to take this one on?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I do!

Isaac,you were more interesting when all you wanted to do in the DR was "Get Laid"! You now are starting to go on and on and on about this Haitian "Thing" and you sound like a "Black Racist", and a "FOOL"! Give it a rest.We could care less.I don,t care if the guy who "Squeezes" my juice in the morning is Haitian or Dominican!This is a non-issue.There is no answer.My wife is a "Black" dominican,and believe me she has no desire to explore her "African Roots"! Most Dominicans prefer to claim their "Spanish" ancestors.They don,t talk to much about the "African Thing"!I didn,t put your ancestors on a ship from Africa,an African did! My grandparents come from Holland cause they had nothing to eat.My grandfather worked and saved,and worked and saved(He also "screwed" a lot,cause my mother had 7 brothers,and 6 sisters) until he had a fuel oil distribution business,and what must have been the biggest house I ever saw in Streator Illinois! Don,t blame Europe for all your problems or "Whitey" either. By-The-Way,I can,t spell worth a shit either,but at least I take the time to spell check the "Big" words,you might consider doing the same!Criss Colon

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Listen man...

Quamilus said:
What part of the country do you live in? Have you ever beeen to the ghettoes of Atlanta , New orleans , or New York. True. Some people( not most) have grown complacent with their situations, but the fact of the matter is that many African Americans are born into social and economically challenged circumstances. I grew up in the ghetto. Before I managed to obtain My degree from Morehouse in History/Education, I was forced to sell drugs as a youth just so my family could eat. Iwasnt able to work legally until I was 16. those jobs were for minimum wage and disgusting. In the proceess of trying to do well I was shot in the chest by police for "looking like a suspect". It is not uncommon for people of African Heritage to Experience these factors.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
well you and yours might not care but I damn well do.

It would appears that now the discussion has turned to a matter of substance, I am no longer interesting. Well that is just fine, I would further say that so long as Robert and Delores
do not find my posts offensive enough to have them
pulled than you my friend should just sit back and
either participate in the discussion or be a silent spectator. As far as what I should do, I
should continue to stimulate a good flow of
give and take on this issue that is the problem
we may not care who squeezes our orange juice
but we sure as hell care about our high standard
of living and low prices that we pay don't we??

As for what you or others may or may not think
of me well you know "I could " and I'll give the
chance to fill in the rest "less".

I hope that the spelling grimlin is not on the
board.