Hurricane Season 2018

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Merry Christmas to one and all.

Now Mike, you and I know that this possibility is not really scary since we have the DR! team headed by Mike Fisher that keeps us informed through what can be said to b the very best network in the area.

If it hiccups out in the Easter Atlantic, we know about it, çause Mike, Olly and the team will let us know.

Of course preparations are another story and a María-type hit here would take Punta Cana back to the 1930s, but that is something we cannot avoid. Let's pray that it never occurs here.

Thank you for that interesting string of links.

Have a wonderful Christmas/Hanukkah and New Years.

Cordially,

HB

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It is sad to say that had one of those storms had hit any part of DR, the festive period for some would be challenging.

Having worked alongside loss adjusters as a technical consultant and as a loss adjuster in St Croix ( and visiting St Thomas which was hit by Irma) which got a passing blow from an offshore Maria during eyewall replacement, I can fully understand the probable impacts from such a storm passing close by or even hitting directly the DR.

It would not be nice and I do hope some have taken note of the stories heard from the nearby islands and add New Year resolutions to mitigate those likely impacts on your place of abode such as having solar power available with storage and inverters and plenty of water. The over head power system would be in chaos along with the data distribution systems. Go satellite should be a NY resolution.

Also please understand that water damage is the main loss causing problem once the wind penetrates your dwelling.

And at this time of year, please think of those folks in the islands like the USVI, BVI, Barbuda, St Martin, St Barts, Anguilla Puerto Rico and Dominica including the many Dominicans who will be passing Christmas with blue tarps will over their roofing and no power or wi fi.

Let's enjoy our fortune at this special time of year. Best wishes to all including those less fortunate.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It is sad to say that had one of those storms had hit any part of DR, the festive period for some would be challenging.

Having worked alongside loss adjusters as a technical consultant and as a loss adjuster in St Croix ( and visiting St Thomas which was hit by Irma) which got a passing blow from an offshore Maria during eyewall replacement, I can fully understand the probable impacts from such a storm passing close by or even hitting directly the DR.

It would not be nice and I do hope some have taken note of the stories heard from the nearby islands and add New Year resolutions to mitigate those likely impacts on your place of abode such as having solar power available with storage and inverters and plenty of water. The over head power system would be in chaos along with the data distribution systems. Go satellite should be a NY resolution.

Also please understand that water damage is the main loss causing problem once the wind penetrates your dwelling.

And at this time of year, please think of those folks in the islands like the USVI, BVI, Barbuda, St Martin, St Barts, Anguilla Puerto Rico and Dominica including the many Dominicans who will be passing Christmas with blue tarps will over their roofing and no power or wi fi.

Let's enjoy our fortune at this special time of year. Best wishes to all including those less fortunate.

As one who rode out Irma and Maria on a boat with my wife and experienced the aftermath of both storm in getting water services restored to four different islands, I appreciate your post. You folks have no idea how wonderful it is for me to be home here in the DR. I will also add that I second the post regarding Mike Fischer and applaud his knowledge, expertise, and willingness to keep us all up to date with forecasts throughout the hurricane seasons here on DR1. We are lucky to have him. Merry Christmas to all.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Also worth checking your insurance. I live in a tower and although the tower insurance covers hurricane damage, it doesn't cover window glass. I've had to take out a second policy for several thousand dollars to cover the glass. You can't take out policies which include hurricane cover during hurricane season, so now is a good time to check.