deadliest provinces of DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
la zeta presents statistics of the first 9 months of 2017 in terms of homicides, femicides and suicides:
http://z101digital.com/articulos/pr...idios-y-suicidios-en-9-meses-en-rd-12-25-2017

25qyx05.png

2ajcjk0.png

2rh8bkn.png

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I live in Altragracia. Sad to see we are 2 of 3 in the red zone. With any luck more education will help move us to a better place.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I could never understand why people do those things or maybe I just don't want to understand. The femicides are just out of control as are the homicides from robberies and assaults.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Nice to see that the North Coast in spite of all the bad press and complaints about crime is not so bad after all.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Nice to see that the North Coast in spite of all the bad press and complaints about crime is not so bad after all.

As these numbers bear out the Dominican Republic is not that dangerous in comparison to the rest of Latin America. I live more freely in the US than we did in Santo Domingo but its not like we were in Caracas or San Salvador or Baghdad.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Statistics such as these have to be taken with a grain of salt. We don't know if the numbers used are accurate. As a generalization for this year only, the maps may reflect reality. This is not to say they reproduce last years numbers or indicate any sort of trend that can be projected forward into next year.

Sure the DR is not the most deadly country in the world when it comes to violent deaths but it's no where near the safest either. Dead is dead, doesn't much matter if it occurs in Boise, Panama City or Heidelberg. It would not be wise to draw any sort of conclusions on anyone's relative safety in any given place at any given time based on these maps.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The rate is obviously the number of murders divided by the population so often the rate looks high in areas with low populations such as San Jose de Ocoa which has around 21,000 population. There were two policeman murdered this year there and two of the four people arrested were "shot and killed while trying to escape" by the police - so that will have an impact on the figures.

Matilda

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The rate is obviously the number of murders divided by the population so often the rate looks high in areas with low populations such as San Jose de Ocoa which has around 21,000 population. There were two policeman murdered this year there and two of the four people arrested were "shot and killed while trying to escape" by the police - so that will have an impact on the figures.

Matilda

Thanks, got it.......one more homicide in the whole year to add to the four you note, then gives a rate of 24/100,000 and red.

SJ always did seem a haven of tranquility.