Problems with Claro internet connection in POP

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
For the past 3 days my internet connection keeps dropping. For the desk top thats not a problem as it buffers internet until it returns a few seconds later. WIFI devices pretty much stop working. Any one else seeing this problem? thanks

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
Claro problems

For the past 3 days my internet connection keeps dropping. For the desk top thats not a problem as it buffers internet until it returns a few seconds later. WIFI devices pretty much stop working. Any one else seeing this problem? thanks

Same thing in Cofresi. Identical to your problem.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
This has been an ongoing issue with Claro. Their infrastructure has to be crap to be experiencing the constant dropping of Internet service due to the fact that it happened in San Cristobal and we are now in Bani and still experiencing the crappy service. We would have changed to Orange/Altice but do not want to get locked into a new 18 month contract because we plan on leaving the DR in less than 18 months.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
For those technical wizards, which I am not, could the reason be due to the large amount of visitors here in RD during the month of December, that visit with their smartphones, tablets and laptops from abroad? Maybe this is causing the systems to be overloaded, as their seems to be a sharp increase in complaints particularly this month regarding various internet providers.

Feb 7, 2007
Most likely your DSL connection is getting dropped and out of sync. You need to contact Claro and they need to run tests on your line (physically). You can also log into your modem and check if you see any CRC and FEC errors (especially CRC), number of drops since last power-off, and attainable vs sync rate. Also make sure you use DSL filter if you use phone as well, and that all phones being used are connected to a filter, as well as DSL modem. It would not hurt to change the hone cable from the phone jack to the modem as well.

Most DSL drops are caused partly by obsolete cabling and partly by the power company and the obsolete power infrastructure, which causes electromagnetic interference with aerial phone cabling. You wouldn't believe how much interference and noise a bad street electric transformer can cause, or issues with high tension power lines, etc. Another cause is frequently the very Dominicans causing issues by e.g. connecting their electric wires to a messenger wire on phone cable and using it as a ground (yes this does happen).

If you are experiencing frequent DSL drops (over 3-4 per day), phone company might
1) change your port on DSLAM
2) change your (twisted) pair or location in the terminal on the utility pole
3) replace a part of aerial cabling (if many customers are affected)
4) reconstruct your phone jack, both outside drop point and inside jack

If this still does not help, you can
1) reduce your internet speed, the lower the speed the less it is influenced by interference
2) get on your own an expensive DSL modem that has certain nose/interference cancellation/reduction capabilities (usually cost over $200).

Yeah I know all of that because .... of my many years fighting the DSL quality issues in the DR. Thanks god I now have fiber.

P.S. It would not hurt if you tried t find out who is the Internet tech supervisor in your area and then trying to get to know him. That way, your Internet issues might get attended to faster, or even resolved completely (while not all of the issues have 100% solution, 90% of issues have solution which can reduce your head aches by 90% and get you passable level of DSL service instead of a ****ty one). So start doing your homework and start getting to know local Internet tech supervisor.

Last edited:

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Hello,
We have the same issue here, in the Gardens of Lomas Mironas, Sosua, we called x times Claro, said they will look after us since 2 weeks, nothing happens!!! Anybody around that could provide us with the local technician phone number, please?
Thanks in advance.

Feb 7, 2007
Hello,
We have the same issue here, in the Gardens of Lomas Mironas, Sosua, we called x times Claro, said they will look after us since 2 weeks, nothing happens!!! Anybody around that could provide us with the local technician phone number, please?
Thanks in advance.

It doesn't work that way, there are literally tens of technicians fo Claro in every city (and hundreds or thousands, in Santo Domingo alone) and a technician cannot work a ticket not assigned to him. Well, there are ways a good technician can "pull" a ticket assigned to other technician, through his supervisor, but for that, you must know him well, and usually mutually help each other out.

Call 809-220-1111 (or 809-220-1212 if business line), press 3 for Averia, if your time has ran past due date, they will open a Claim (Reclamacion), which usually has 24 hour turn time, and goes directly to supervisor. If this still does not help, a trip to local customer service office may be necessary and request they call the supervisor directly (yes, they can do that so don't accept no for an answer). If you get run-arounds, ask to speak to "lider del piso" (lower level supervisor, the one who helps other agents dealing with issues the agents cannot or don't know how to resolve) or "supervisor general" (pronounced in Spanish suu-per-vee-sor ... higher level supervisor/manager who directly works on more difficult cases... above him, it's only the Gerente Local /local general manager).

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Maybe it's because that Andy (aka The Hobo Traveler) is posting long boring videos everyday while he recuperates in Sosua ?

Jayabero

Jan 19, 2018
Hello everybody. I am new here at the forum.
I am having a lot of problem conections recently. I have 5 mb dsl with claro (the best posible in my area). To change my huaweihg532e moden (I think is failing) i am trying to connect an old 2wire3600hgv that was previously used with AT&T in USA. How can i configurate it to work with claro rd?