Is it really that bad / Honestly..

Quamilus

Mar 20, 2002
Its almost time to leave and I am deciding Boca Chica or Santo Domingo. Ive heard that Boca Chica was a bit run down and overun with prostitution and stray dogs. Surely it cant be as bad as many say. I really wanted to stay there for my visit. Also How can i get to Barcequillas, Haina from Boca Chica?

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
I've stayed in both places and recently came back from SD. I stayed with a friend who lives there right now so I shouldn't complain, but one week in the capital would have been enough and I should have stayed the 2nd week in BC as I love the beach life. If you want relaxation and beach life, I say take some time to visit BC. It used to take us 1.5hrs to get there with the bus so I didn't go that often.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
BC vs SD or may JD

I was in Boca Chica this afternoon. Like most of the east (really south east) coast it is dead!!! Almost no-one on the streets. Seems the tour companies are promoting Bavaro & Punta Cana and of course golf afficionados are going to the North coast where it's cheaper to play golf!
Juan Dolio is also very quiet (where i LIVE) but like Boca Chica the beach is nice (all right so Boca Chica beach is more developed than JD beach but I like the quieter atmosphere here!!!)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It is not bad at all ( and has a beach vs. Santo Domingo)

Quamilus said:
Its almost time to leave and I am deciding Boca Chica or Santo Domingo. Ive heard that Boca Chica was a bit run down and overun with prostitution and stray dogs. Surely it cant be as bad as many say. I really wanted to stay there for my visit. Also How can i get to Barcequillas, Haina from Boca Chica?

Boca Chica is small , walkable, has a beach, warm water, available non-AI hotels ( thank God) , decent food and entertainment and apart from the people who LIKE to say "oh, it is full of dogs and prostitutes etc.", it is a great destination and you can chase both of them away if they bother you , which they are not likely to anyway.

Jim Hinsch is an ardent supporter as am I. Once you have your poolside chair or beach lounge and a beer or refresco, it is all the same and it just isn't worth traipsing around for the sake of different sand.

Susan Greco

Feb 19, 2002
not at all

Just returned from Boca Chica and while, yes there are prostitutes and stray dogs, the town is friendly, the beach is great and everything else is wonderful. But it is hard to compare Santo Domingo to Boca Chica - one is a BIG city while the other is a beach town. I would base my decision on what you want to do and remember it is not difficult to get to either while staying at one or the other.