ADSL modem

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
my claro adsl modem died. could someone help where to buy a new one? the one's from claro are very basic...or could i order one on amazon? if yes - any recommendation of model?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
First talk to Claro and ask if you can buy your own modem to connect to their network. If the Rep say you can, ask for that in writing. I suspect the person you talk to will stare blankly for awhile then trudge off to ask someone else who will stare blankly and on that goes until someone flips a coin to come up with today's answer for you.

The equipment you buy will need to be authorized by Claro before it will work and that will be the point that you find out that you can't do what you were told you could. Generally the companies here in the DR want you to use their equipment, because they rent it to you. Most likely the number of customers using their own modem to tie into an ISP network can be counted on one hand with fingers left over.

Please let us know what Claro says, that will be an interesting discussion.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Store: Cecomsa

Modem/Router: ADSL2 Modem/router (ADSL+2)

Brand: TD-W8951ND ADSL2 - About $25

That is what I have, may be a newer model out by now.

I did not ask Claro, I just bought it and installed it.

I am not on fiber with Claro.

I´m using a TP-Link TD-W8951ND ADSL+2 modem/router that I purchased and it works great. I turned off the Wi-Fi.

Connected to that I also have a Linksys WRT1900ACS dual band gigabit Wi-Fi router using ExpressVPN.

I set the Linksys VPN router to start giving out IP addresses from 150 up.

Beware, Claro will insist that it´s "your" router that´s bad if you have an Internet problem.
They will connect theirs for a few seconds to prove you are wrong.
I had to argued repeatedly with the tech to prove him wrong, they are stubborn.
I proved the problem was still there by switching back and forth between mine and there modem/router.
Be prepared to defend your router, go back to using theirs and make sure the problem is not your modem/router.

I switched the Claro system from using their 10.0.0.1 IP settings to 192.168.0.1 for uniformity reasons. one of my devices could not be switched to the 10.0.0.1 IP range.

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That's good news that will make the OP happy. I didn't have DSL so that that might account for my more limited options.

Been using my own modem/routers on Claro for many, many years.

Claro restricts many of the options on their supplied modem/routers, such as maybe not allowing you to choose your DSN servers.

Feb 7, 2007
Do you have ADSL or VDSL?

If your speed is 10 mbps and more, you most likely have VDSL service and need a VDSL capable modem. Zyxel is the most sold VDSL modem brand worldwide.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005

If your speed is 10 mbps and more, you most likely have VDSL service and need a VDSL capable modem. Zyxel is the most sold VDSL modem brand worldwide.

i have 10 mbps speed ; Can i just order one on Amazon and will it work

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

I would advise santa110xyz to look up the specs on the modem that went bad to see if it is ADSL2 or VDSL.

Check with Cecomsa, ADSL2 modem/router is cheap.
Shipping one in may will cost you more.

I have 10mb here also in Santiago.
I was offered more but the line coming here was not good enough.
Temporarily had 15mb with the modem/router from Cecomsa.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014

Well if your old modem was an ADSL modem (or ADSL2+) then you were receiving ADSL2+ service because that is what it was sinking up as. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a VDSL2 modem, because it should fallback to ADSL2/ADSL if that is the offering, so that would give you a product for the future if you do/can get VDSL service.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I would advise santa110xyz to look up the specs on the modem that went bad to see if it is ADSL2 or VDSL.

Check with Cecomsa, ADSL2 modem/router is cheap.
Shipping one in may will cost you more.

I have 10mb here also in Santiago.
I was offered more but the line coming here was not good enough.
Temporarily had 15mb with the modem/router from Cecomsa.

the Claro modem/router is have is very basic!!! i live in Sosua...and Cecomsa is only in Santiago, for that reason i asked to order online. I am bridging with RJ45 connection...but don't have wifi in the house. The line towards my house can't take more than 10mbps..... old Claro cables ...to much resistance for higher speed. the price actually i do not care, as long i get a good modem/router.

Feb 7, 2007
Well if your old modem was an ADSL modem (or ADSL2+) then you were receiving ADSL2+ service because that is what it was sinking up as. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a VDSL2 modem, because it should fallback to ADSL2/ADSL if that is the offering, so that would give you a product for the future if you do/can get VDSL service.

If he is not getting VDSL now (living too far from the remote DSLAM to get VDSL), he will get fiber before getting VDSL. Claro is heavily moving towards fiber nationwide in all major urban areas. Even they found out, that with aerial cabling and a lot of electromagnetic interference from the environment that exists in the DR (lack of regulations and caring + obsolete electrical infrastructure), the only solution to reduce issues is fiber which is not susceptible to such interference, only to physical damage.

Most if not all second-tier cable companies also realized that FTTH is the future, and after making a one-time investment in their head-end equipment, the infrastructure cost on the street (including connecting customers) is actually cheaper. Plus, removal of the same electromagnetic interference that affects Claro lines, affects cable companies' networks as well.

And just considering cost, where foot of 2-fiber drop cable to connect to customer premises is less than 1.5 pesos... how much is the coax? 5+ pesos a foot.... makes FTTH a no-brainer in the DR, at least in major urban areas or even more remote areas but with high population count (residenciales, etc.). Tier 1s like Tricom and Aster are still heavily invested in old coax infrastructure and it's not that easy to replace everything, and while Tricom has been deploying FTTH on new projects, Aster still stays with Coax even on brand new deployments like El Seybo. Not a good choice IMO, but it is their choice.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
the Claro modem/router is have is very basic!!! i live in Sosua...and Cecomsa is only in Santiago, for that reason i asked to order online. I am bridging with RJ45 connection...but don't have wifi in the house. The line towards my house can't take more than 10mbps..... old Claro cables ...to much resistance for higher speed. the price actually i do not care, as long i get a good modem/router.

Frequently stores in DR will ship to you via MetroPack / Caribe Express / local transport package service, if you prepay and pay postage. I have received shipments like that in Higuey from Santo Domingo. I would call Cecomsa and ask, I personally never bought anything from them so I do not know, but Omega Tech sent me a package from La Romana to Higuey with no problems (100 pesos send fee which included them taking the package to La Romana-Higuey bus stop and shipping from La Romana to Higuey).

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Frequently stores in DR will ship to you via MetroPack / Caribe Express / local transport package service, if you prepay and pay postage. I have received shipments like that in Higuey from Santo Domingo. I would call Cecomsa and ask, I personally never bought anything from them so I do not know, but Omega Tech sent me a package from La Romana to Higuey with no problems (100 pesos send fee which included them taking the package to La Romana-Higuey bus stop and shipping from La Romana to Higuey).

Hello i called Cecomsa they only have routers but no Modem Routers. do you have any idea where to buy Modem Routers? Claro one's are really to fragile and simple. thank you all for helping. And Cecomsa, as you said...they would ship :)