View Poll Results: Should the construction of highrises be allowed in Punta Cana?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this can only mean more business opportunities and jobs.

7 12.96%
  • Yes, no more than 10 floors.

1 1.85%
  • Yes, no more than 10 floors and away from the beach.

11 20.37%
  • Absolutely not!

35 64.81%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THE NEW PUNTA CANA SCANDAL

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default THE NEW PUNTA CANA SCANDAL

I knew it was a matter of time for this to happen.

Diario Libre published an article stating that the Ministry of Tourism changed the rules of the touristic development game in the Punta Cana - Bávaro - Macao area. From the very start it was agreed that Punta Cana should be different and more environmentally friendly compared to other international beach destinations. As a consequence, a height limit that initially implied ‘no taller than the tallest coconut palm’ and later was institutionalized with an official limit of 4 floors.

It turns out that back in September 2017, the Ministry of Tourism changed the height limit for the Macao area to a whopping 22 floors! The other area where the limit was risen considerably is Cap Cana, where highrises are already registered as independent companies and, apparently, construction would start as soon as the law allows it.

Tourism organizations from the national level to the local Punta Cana area level, plus the main established Dominican investors in Punta Cana, are alarmed that these changes were made quietly back in September without asking for their input at all. The beach tourism leaders became aware of the changes now that the news has hit the waves (no pun intended).

https://www.diariolibre.com/economia...cana-FH8876236
    Last edited by NALs; 12-30-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    Moderator Polls Forum

2. Likes Chirimoya, frank12 liked this post
    Dislikes HIRAM disliked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The new height (in floors) limit along the Coconut Coast. Notice that more than 17 highrises have been authorized for construction in Cap Cana.  

Moderator Polls Forum

4. Likes John Boyter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that article and DL have done a good job exposing this. I really hope these developers don't get away with this insanity.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

6. Likes rubio_higuey liked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have ben involved in hospitality construction in the Caribbean for 17 years and personally find high rise construction adjacent the beaches of the Caribbean incompatible with the destination.

Developers everywhere seek more floors...more rooms per square foot of footprint. They are greedy with big wallets and no conscience.

Frankly discerning tourists don't want high rise developments on the beach rather the opposite. But the North American market targets mass tourism, so what goes for Miami Beach should in their opinion go for the Caribbean Islands.

It is ugly to see high rise buildings on Grace Bay in Providenciales on what was perhaps the most pristine reef protected beach anywhere...and I was on that beach when it was virgin with nothing before Club Med. Equally it was on the wonderful on 7 mile beach in Cayman before it got overrun with dense hospitality.

I am no fan of the East Coast but it is has been developed for the NA market and is nothing special anymore. And as such I could accept modest high rise back from beach but to do more, would ruin any remaining Caribbean feel.

I pray there remains strict limits on number of floors in places like Samana and in the future in the South West.

DR is not Florida nor never should be a copy of the same.

8. Likes trustquest liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion this is a huge mistake. Just imagine the skyline with all the abandoned and half built high rises.
    A scammers dream about to happen.

10. Likes sylindr liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That white powder money is not going to launder itself.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Coconut Travel will now sell 10 days in Cap Cana for 150 EUR, all included, also a tour guide.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The low-rise buildings we have here can barely tolerate a hard hurricane...imagine what a few skyscrapers will look like after a blow! Also, the elevators in the high rises will never work properly, due to power surges, outages and general mismanagement of the maintenance. The four floor elevators here usually have out-of-order signs half the time!

14. Likes trustquest liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ding ding....do I hear kickbacks.......

16. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default For its own benefit.

The east coast infrastructure and delicate environment cannot support the density of people such high-rise development would bring into the tourist zone.

The approval of this plan speaks loudly of government's lack of transparency and its willingness to benefit from its adulterating regulation to favor the powerful. It has no other concerns.

The public needs to cry foul !

Regards,

PJT

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast