Math teaching/tutoring jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Let me set this up and please read before responding. Ty. Sousa area and limited area around.

My wife have been here for over 20 years and know the laws so we don't need that info. We have apt. within our grounds with our own infrastructure and staff so that is not an issue.

My brothers' wife passed this AM. They live in California. My wife and I just got back from saying "good bye". He has options but as expected, does not know in what direction he wants to go. Living with us is one option. He loves the sea and everything about it. Rather the sportsman even at his mature but very active age. He has visited us so know a little about the D.R. He has also been around so understands the Latin/3rd world culture.

Mark has over 30 years of teaching at a private school at a rather prestigious private school and he loves teaching and tutoring and being at the same school he has earned his place as a great teacher and is in demand for tutoring after classes.

Moving here to the D.R. we have most things covered other then... he needs to keep busy. He needs something to do. Something that he is good at and can have positive results. Teaching.

Is there a demand or need for good math teachers either in the private school (that I will inquire) or those that need tutoring?

Please TRY to keep this relevant and to the topic. Thank You.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
So sorry to hear about his wife. I would guess that there would be a need for good Math tutors, that seems to be universal. He may have to advertise though, and Facebook Everything (place name) would be a start. I'm not sure about Puerto Plata, but there is the International School in Sosua. It might be worth checking their advertising for positions in February-April. ISS attends hiring fairs in the states with International School Services, or at least they used to. They may have a long term teacher in Math, but then again, they could also be looking as well. Contracts are typically 2 years.

If he just wants to keep busy and not necessarily make a lot of money, I am sure that public schools would appreciate extra help or volunteer tutoring. There are probably even Dominican private schools that would pay a little too. It would just be a matter of making some phone calls to find out more. Maybe some DR1rs in the area have some better ear to the ground advice, but I think he could definitely keep busy and find the work very rewarding too.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
He first may want to take some time after his loss before making a big move, especially if there are children and grand kids

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Let me set this up and please read before responding. Ty. Sousa area and limited area around.

My wife have been here for over 20 years and know the laws so we don't need that info. We have apt. within our grounds with our own infrastructure and staff so that is not an issue.

My brothers' wife passed this AM. They live in California. My wife and I just got back from saying "good bye". He has options but as expected, does not know in what direction he wants to go. Living with us is one option. He loves the sea and everything about it. Rather the sportsman even at his mature but very active age. He has visited us so know a little about the D.R. He has also been around so understands the Latin/3rd world culture.

Mark has over 30 years of teaching at a private school at a rather prestigious private school and he loves teaching and tutoring and being at the same school he has earned his place as a great teacher and is in demand for tutoring after classes.

Moving here to the D.R. we have most things covered other then... he needs to keep busy. He needs something to do. Something that he is good at and can have positive results. Teaching.

Is there a demand or need for good math teachers either in the private school (that I will inquire) or those that need tutoring?

Please TRY to keep this relevant and to the topic. Thank You.

First, sorry for his and your loss. Just a question. Does he need to sell a house in California. If so obviously he would be financially set. It could be quite the culture shock of CA to DR and as everyone is aware it is different to live than just visit.
Any chance he could just take some time off and stay with you for a few months or even a year while keeping his options back in CA? Then he could make an informed decision of what would be best.
I don't think he would have any issues finding a job with his credentials, that is very popular in the DR so maybe he could do some freelancing in that time period.
There are lots of retirement communities in FL as well, and then you guys would be pretty close to visit each other.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
After 30 years and you can't spell Sosua?

Anyway, you are indeed doing something positive for your brother which is a good thing. And here he has a ton of options.

I am going to presume that he has no Spanish, so his option one is to get a job at one of the bi-lingual schools on the island...not just in your area. From Punta Cana, to La Romana, to Santo Domingo to Santiago there are lots of places to teach a a decent salary (I am going to assume [always dangerous] that he will be retired at a CA teacher's great pension and really is not worrying about money) and some even provide living quarters. That is Option One.

Option Two is to go on-line and teach. The Web can use math teachers with that kind of experience. I can hook him up with a great gal in Maine (some of you know her) who is my guru on stuff that is web-related. She says it is "easy-peasy."

Of course, Option Three is to just sit around for a few months and let things flow. Losing a partner after many years is a difficult experience and requires time, maybe more than anything. He lost the one person he could always turn to and that is heavy. Give him some time, but let him know that there are options, with his credentials to teach at university (UNIBE has classes in English), even.

Cordially,

HB

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
Hi there! My husband is a high school math teacher at the Carol Morgan School in Santo Domingo. Students are always looking for outside tutors, and pay handsomely. Since you're in Sosua, CMS is probably too far to go, but I would definitely suggest contacting the bi-lingual/international schools in your area about being a private tutor.

Note, if he's interested in applying to be a teacher at one of the international schools, I would highly recommend contacting them and applying for a position from the US. If he approaches them after already living in the DR he will be offered a local contract rather than an international one, which most likely means he'll make about 1/3 of the pay. There is a huge incentive package for international teachers vs. local hires!

Feel free to DM me if you want info from my husband about his experiences teaching here.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
It would be a totally different ball game if he needs to make a living wage vs pocket money or on a volunteer basis.

From what is described as his potential goal in the original post, keeping busy would be very easy. The location also makes a difference as there will absolutely be more opportunities in Santo Domingo, but OP has stated Sosua and limited area.

William Webster suggested the DREAM project, there is also the Mariposa Foundation in Cabarete, and I'm sure there is a DR1 poster (maybe KateP??) who is involved in charity work on the north coast. When I volunteered up there, I just googled, sent lots of emails, and asked lots of questions. One place suggested another and gave me a phone number and so on.

All the best to him :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It would be a totally different ball game if he needs to make a living wage vs pocket money or on a volunteer basis.

From what is described as his potential goal in the original post, keeping busy would be very easy. The location also makes a difference as there will absolutely be more opportunities in Santo Domingo, but OP has stated Sosua and limited area.

William Webster suggested the DREAM project, there is also the Mariposa Foundation in Cabarete, and I'm sure there is a DR1 poster (maybe KateP??) who is involved in charity work on the north coast. When I volunteered up there, I just googled, sent lots of emails, and asked lots of questions. One place suggested another and gave me a phone number and so on.

All the best to him :)

I think you might mean Lindsey Kaufman.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Thank You.

My brother has to work things out for himself. I can only provide some options and he has lots of others contributing and perhaps too many at this time.

Thanks to all responses and especially from those in the know concerning education needs and ideas here in the D.R. and the net. I'm very encouraged that opportunities are/may be available for him to continue his love of teaching. I'll pass your advice on to him in the next few days.

It's his call but you have provided.... information, input and added options.

Thank You.

This thread may be closed at the MOD's discretion.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
glad dr1ers were of help. please let me know when/if you want the thread to be opened for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.