Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Residency renewal

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes, the "punishment does not fit the crime." Who knows what penalty could be imposed on someone who misses a renewal for a complete year. Not likely that they will make you start again with a new application but I wouldn't put it past them. You may have to start your 5 year renewal count again for permanent status, obviously here will be a fine, maybe a new medical, who knows all speculation.

I certainly wouldn't wish to be the test case.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk to Windy....
    after 20 something tears they declared him 'Invalid'.....

The system seems to make no sense.....

Get in - sit down - stay quiet..... is how I handle it

Go to citizenship as fast as you can

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I read of this, the more confused I get (it happens easily!). Last year I renewed my temporary residency by posting the documents online, then, when they were approved I went to SD to get the Residency and cedula cards. Pleasantly straightforward really.

Are we now saying that it's best to upload the documents online (or should I go to the POP office?), then when approved, go to SD to deposit the documents and come back the next day to receive the cards?

Any advice will be appreciated as I have to start my renewal in a few days. Thanks.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    The more I read of this, the more confused I get (it happens easily!). Last year I renewed my temporary residency by posting the documents online, then, when they were approved I went to SD to get the Residency and cedula cards. Pleasantly straightforward really.

Are we now saying that it's best to upload the documents online (or should I go to the POP office?), then when approved, go to SD to deposit the documents and come back the next day to receive the cards?

Any advice will be appreciated as I have to start my renewal in a few days. Thanks.
    Same as last year. Upload documents online. Wait for approval. Take origimals to DGM.

The diffrence, in my case, was that the last few renewals, I came home the same day with the renewed residancy, whereas this time i got an apppintment to go and pick it up at a later date.

5. Likes drstock liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if you put your processing center as Santiago, Puerto plata or Punta Cana, you will do the second step (go deposit original documents and make payment) in the local office, then when given the date, you go to Santo Domingo to get your residency card.

In fact that's the way it's done with per permanent (file online, wait for approval, go deposit original documents to Punta Cana for example, pay there, go do the medical in Higuey, wait for the final process and approval, go to Santo Domingo on the given date to complete the process and get the residency card).

So if you select Santo Domingo as the processing office, you will have to go deposit documents and pay there, and then again pick up the residency card there. But if you select regional office for processing, you paya nd deposit documents there, then go to SD to get the residency card.

7. Likes CFA123, malko liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Sometimes, the "punishment does not fit the crime." Who knows what penalty could be imposed on someone who misses a renewal for a complete year. Not likely that they will make you start again with a new application but I wouldn't put it past them. You may have to start your 5 year renewal count again for permanent status, obviously here will be a fine, maybe a new medical, who knows all speculation.

I certainly wouldn't wish to be the test case.
    I am in agreement with this. I simply let Guzman Ariza handle these inconveniences. The firm e-mails me when the time comes for retrieving the IDs and asks when I can come to Santo Domingo to retrieve the documents, I provide a date, and local counsel and I make the trip to DGM. It costs a few pesos, but this is why some of us retain the firm.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct Doc
    Most of these problems arise from 'going it alone'

A lawyer counts in the process.... there is Honor Among Thieves.... just a phrase, no disrespect

Amateurs might get the run-around.... a lawyer, not so much

I like a paved road... a greased skid

10. Likes lifeisgreat liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    I think that if you put your processing center as Santiago, Puerto plata or Punta Cana, you will do the second step (go deposit original documents and make payment) in the local office, then when given the date, you go to Santo Domingo to get your residency card.

In fact that's the way it's done with per permanent (file online, wait for approval, go deposit original documents to Punta Cana for example, pay there, go do the medical in Higuey, wait for the final process and approval, go to Santo Domingo on the given date to complete the process and get the residency card).

So if you select Santo Domingo as the processing office, you will have to go deposit documents and pay there, and then again pick up the residency card there. But if you select regional office for processing, you paya nd deposit documents there, then go to SD to get the residency card.
    OK - that makes sense. So living on the north coast, it's much easier for me to go once to Puerto Plata office and then hopefully for a "relatively" quick visit to DGM in Santo Domingo.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post

I renewed my permanent residency recently. I took the documents to Puerto Plata, they gave me a receipt to take to SD. I went to SD on the appointed day and did not wait in the line outside because that was for people that were taking their documents to deposit and mine had already been sent by POP to SD

When you pay POP ask them about VIP service. I didn't do that and might have speeded things up for me. But I went in about 9 and left around noon with my residency card. I then went for my Cedula and that took very little time.

When in POP ask what window to take teh receipt to. They stuck a sticky with the window number on the receipt and showing the receipt with the sticky on it was all that was necessary to get me into the big room.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are closer to POP than SD, then definitely deposit your documents in POP. That should make only one trip to SD necessary, as it did for me.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast