Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Residency renewal

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    Worth remembering that if you have the Residency por Inversion - because you have rental income or pension income coming in from abroad - then you are fast-tracked and when you go to DGM the whole process takes about an hour. They process you in a much nicer area with comfy sofas and A/C. So if you can get this type of residency it is well worth doing. There are also advantages like you only pay 50% of the IPI tax on real estate.
    I think you're mixing up three seperarte types of resdencies - inversionista, rentista, and pensionado/jubilado. To qualify for inversionista, you need to invest $250,000 USD in a business here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you think about it you can understand why it is better to deposit your documents with DGM office in Puerto Plata or somewhere else.

I deposited my documents in Puerto Plata, which sent them to SD. When they had been processed I got a message to come to SD. I went but with a receipt for my documents and payment, the documents were already there and processed. They already knew they were going to give me my residency carnet that day.

When I got to DGM SD there was a long line of people with folders containing their documents. I went in the door with my receipt while those outside waited to go in with their documents and deposit them with someone at a desk outside the big room. There is no way that all those freshly deposited documents could be processed and the carnet issued before the office closed for the day.

I gave the lady at Window #12 my receipt. Then waited. Finally I was called to get my photo taken, then soon after I was given my renewed residency carnet. I was on my way for my cedula by 12:30 and on my way back to my hotel by 2.

It is a frustrating and tiring few hours, but when you see the number of people and imagine the amount of paper that is being checked and processed, i think they do a pretty good job. But I am sure I saved myself a lot of time and trouble by depositing my papers in POP

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see your logic Ken. For the DIY types this way seems to make sense if only to ensure you are going to SD for the sole purpose of getting a picture taken and getting the card. It would be absolutely infuriating to travel from far away only to be told to come back in a week.
    Last edited by Cdn_Gringo; 01-16-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If you think about it you can understand why it is better to deposit your documents with DGM office in Puerto Plata or somewhere else.

I deposited my documents in Puerto Plata, which sent them to SD. When they had been processed I got a message to come to SD. I went but with a receipt for my documents and payment, the documents were already there and processed. They already knew they were going to give me my residency carnet that day.

When I got to DGM SD there was a long line of people with folders containing their documents. I went in the door with my receipt while those outside waited to go in with their documents and deposit them with someone at a desk outside the big room. There is no way that all those freshly deposited documents could be processed and the carnet issued before the office closed for the day.

I gave the lady at Window #12 my receipt. Then waited. Finally I was called to get my photo taken, then soon after I was given my renewed residency carnet. I was on my way for my cedula by 12:30 and on my way back to my hotel by 2.

It is a frustrating and tiring few hours, but when you see the number of people and imagine the amount of paper that is being checked and processed, i think they do a pretty good job. But I am sure I saved myself a lot of time and trouble by depositing my papers in POP
    Did you still upload all your documents on the computer and receive approval before going to POP?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Did you still upload all your documents on the computer and receive approval before going to POP?
    That's what I want to know, because I'm starting the process now.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    That's what I want to know, because I'm starting the process now.
    I just called DGM in POP and was told you still have to first upload all your documents online and wait for approval, and then take them and the approval notification to them in POP. Then you have to wait some more while they send them to SD and get approval to go to DGM in SD.

Think about how this process has evolved over the years. A while ago you took all your documents to SD and were done in 3+ hours. Next, you uploaded all your documents online, waited for approval, and took all your documents to SD and were done in 3+ hours.

Now, you upload all your documents online, wait for approval, drive to POP and deposit your documents, wait for approval from POP, go to DGM in SD and still wait 3+ hours.

No more VIP and the possibility of gettig your residency card the same day is questionable. And don't forget the extra $115 USD for repatriation insurance.

7. Likes drstock liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

And to get the repatriation insurance before you can start, you have to go twice to POP as well - once to pay and show them your cards and passport and once to pick up the certificate.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Back then, no one saw the need to legalize their status and didn't believe the DR would start controlling that so although the Migracion office always had people, it wasn't that bad. I'd be interested in seeing how the number of residency applications has increased in the past 5 years.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the number of residency applications has increased. I'm also sure that the number of DGM employees processing those applications hasn't.

The residency renewal process will continue to get worse - more cumbersome, expensive, and time consuming. DGM is a perfect example of "crisis management" at it's finest.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122