Multiple Internet Routers

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have the following setup.

30jsg2f.jpg

My question is:

If I put "Router 2" in bridge mode (Have never used bridge mode) will that allow "Router 1" to control "all" the "wireless" access.

The situation is that "Router 2" is in an adjoining house and "hard wired" to "Router 1".

Not favorable to use a wireless extender to get Internet to the 2nd house due to the distance from "Router 1".

I use a program to monitor what devices are connected, but can not see what is connected to "Router 2" from my computer connected to "Router 1".

I want to control all "wireless" access to my Internet via "Router 1" and not have to set up restrictions in "Router 2".

Limits like controlling the children´s access time.
They have access to both routers for access from both houses.

Thanks for any advice.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Claro router is the device to put into bridge mode.

Router 1 becomes your primary router offering dhcp service.

Router 2 is configured as an Access Point and forwards all net requests to router 1.

Any restrictions you configure on router 1 will be transparent on router 2. From router 1 you can see all assigned IPs on your LAN as router 1 is the only device issuing network addresses.

General rules:

No more than 1 dhcp server on a domain
One passthru (bridge mode) modem, 1 router and a bunch of APs is fine.
More than one device in bridge mode, or more than one device acting as a router - not proper.

sosuadr

Aug 17, 2014
I assume your controlling access using Router #1 not Claro
so as you describe is fine leave Claro alone as is no need to setup any rules etc....

Plug your Claro into router #1 into WAN port (This will do everything you want... as long as it is a good router of course and you know how) Router #2 will be plugged into Router #1 LAN port just like any networked computer or device. DHCP must be turned off on router #2 as Cdn_Gringo suggests (and is knowledgable) go ahead set up wifi to whatever you see fit on both routers. Router #1 is setup with default setttings issing out DHCP address and is wifi enabled. Now you can control everything from router #1 traffic rules, MAC address filtering, etc etc...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I use Apple stuff.  I have disabled the wifi from my fiber modem and hardwired the internet to my Apple Time Capsule router.  I then have three Apple Airport Express extenders around the house.  Using the Apple wireless utility I can configure them to all work seamlessly together and they hand off their wireless clients automatically depending on signal strength.  The Airport Expresses are also connected to various speakers that allow me to Airplay my music all around the house.

I also have a basic Cisco router which I flashed with dd.wrt to give me a UK IP address for watching BBC etc.

All works perfectly (when I have internet!)

We all know there are many Apple haters on this forum, but they really do make networking so easy.  The saying still goes, "Once you've gone Mac, you never go back"

WYW

Jun 22, 2017
If I put "Router 2" in bridge mode (Have never used bridge mode) will that allow "Router 1" to control "all" the "wireless" access.

The situation is that "Router 2" is in an adjoining house and "hard wired" to "Router 1".

Not favorable to use a wireless extender to get Internet to the 2nd house due to the distance from "Router 1".

I use a program to monitor what devices are connected, but can not see what is connected to "Router 2" from my computer connected to "Router 1".

I want to control all "wireless" access to my Internet via "Router 1" and not have to set up restrictions in "Router 2".

Limits like controlling the children´s access time.
They have access to both routers for access from both houses.

Thanks for any advice.

Set the second routers as an "Access Point." The first router should set up as default "Router Mode."

WYW

Jun 22, 2017
Set the second routers as an "Access Point." The first router should be set up as default "Router Mode."

And to add; there is no need to mess with the Claro router at all, that, would only complicate things plus I don't believe users have access to change any administrator features in Claro modems?

In short, leave the Claro router as is, leave the first router as the default router in "Router Mode," and configure the second router to operate as an "Access Point."

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks very much to everyone for your responses.

As soon as I get the time I will venture into setting up "Router 2" as as an "Access Point".
Need to check if "Router 2" can be set as an "Access Point", I have never tried that before either.

Thanks again,

Don