Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Words, phrases and expressions of the week- January 6, 2018

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marianopolita View Post
    1) Are you saying my journey to work ?..... ¿en el trabajo?
    5) Concordance- the s is dropped when speaking but it has to be written.
    7) spelling- la mayoría

1. according to him travesia does not have to be physical, between two locations. much like in english, "life is a journey" and all that. in this case travesia was meant ironically, the journey from 9 to 5, so to speak.
    5. his mistake.
    7. my mistake and a dumb one for i know how to spell this word correctly

North Coast Moderator

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Agrícola is an esdrújula word.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i do not know how to enter accents on my keyboard.

North Coast Moderator

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i do not know how to enter accents on my keyboard.
    Change the keyboard setting to United States International and add Spanish to the languages. You can then toggle at the bottom of the screen on the right between English and Spanish. To add accents or upside down question marks and exclamation marks you press Alt and the letter. ááááá¿¿¿¿¿ñññññ

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

5. Likes AlterEgo, cbmitch9 liked this post
    Moderadora 🌦 otoño 🍂
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    1. according to him travesia does not have to be physical, between two locations. much like in english, "life is a journey" and all that. in this case travesia was meant ironically, the journey from 9 to 5, so to speak.
    5. his mistake.
    7. my mistake and a dumb one for i know how to spell this word correctly

Regarding phrase #1 I think you mean the usage is figurative which in that case I can understand.

Regarding # 7 and your spelling error it happens and it’s really no cause for concern. However, I can understand your frustration since it’s so easy to spell in Spanish once you understand the phonetics and rules of accentuation.

-MP.

Leer es crecer- Lee un buen libro este otoño
    Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Moderadora 🌦 otoño 🍂
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pregunta para Lucifer

I was thinking about your comment about word choices again and thought of one that I am curious to hear what you say. What word do you use for flight attendant in Spanish?

-MP.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marianopolita View Post
    I was thinking about your comment about word choices again and thought of one that I am curious to hear what you say. What word do you use for flight attendant in Spanish?

-MP.
    For flight attendant, I've always used azafata, but I've also heard aeromoza. And I wonder if both words are now outdated, just as stewardess.

Regarding impensable, I've already asked a Mexican co-worker, and he expressed familiarity with said word. Today, I'll query other co-workers, including a couple of Dominicans, as well as my colleagues who hail from all over Latin America and Spain, with the exception of Uruguay and Guatemala.

It may turn out that everyone uses the term, and I haven't been paying attention.

9. Likes Marianopolita liked this post
    Moderadora 🌦 otoño 🍂
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    For flight attendant, I've always used azafata, but I've also heard aeromoza. And I wonder if both words are now outdated, just as stewardess.

Regarding impensable, I've already asked a Mexican co-worker, and he expressed familiarity with said word. Today, I'll query other co-workers, including a couple of Dominicans, as well as my colleagues who hail from all over Latin America and Spain, with the exception of Uruguay and Guatemala.

It may turn out that everyone uses the term, and I haven't been paying attention.
    Okay so you are like me then. I have always used azafata but I just noticed now that the dictionary states that the word is outdated. Maybe so in terms of a more recent word like asistente de vuelo is now more widely used. However, words don’t change or disappear that fast. In my opinion, aeromozo/ a sounds even older but still used. Maybe now the trend is asistente de vueloazafata and aeromozo/a.

I think impensable is an everyday word and widely used.

I mentioned recently in thread that the more vocabulary you acquire the more neutral you get which is definitely my case. I read almost exclusively in Spanish therefore words like impensable don’t strike me as odd or uncommon.

-MP.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

11. Likes Lucifer liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Aeromoza, which probably insinuated a certain model-like physique, has finally fallen out of favor, probably around the same time as propellers and free meals in coach class...

And while on the subject of outdated words, aeroplano comes to mind. I might have heard it on a song as a kid, but that's it.

While living in the D.R. we would hear 'pegar cuernos' o 'no me pegues cuernos.'

Now it's 'LOS cuernos.': Yajaira me pegó los cuernos; Gertrudis le pegó los cuernos a su esposo.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post

I just asked Mr AE, and he immediately said “azafata”. I asked him about aeromoza, and he said yes,  but that Dominicans don’t  normally use that word, he thought it was more South American, but not sure.  Bear in mind that he hasn’t lived in DR a long time.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast