Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Santo Domingo Sammy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Padrino(best man)@ Wedding

I have been asked to be Padrino (best man) at a young mans wedding that I have been helping. I have never been married and never done anything like this before. I was told I have to present his wife to be to him and of course im paying for a small civil ceromony and then a small party at a home he built in Sabana Perdida.Any pointers would be helpful.
    I bought him a usefull wedding gift also (I think @ least)
    I would appreciate any ideas you could give me on how to handle all this Thanks.
    I would invite everyone but he wants a small wedding lilSam
    the wedding day he picked was my Birthday . He picked that daay so I would never foreget his wedding day smart kid huh
    Last edited by lilsam; 03-21-2002 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

very smart, so now if you want to you can spend a weekend celebrating both AHHH HA!!
    Last edited by Frostedmike; 03-21-2002 at 12:53 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

lilsam,
    Padrino is not a best man. A padrino is more like a Godfather. It has religious implications. Traditional DR do not have a "best man".

Tony C.

Santo Domingo Sammy
    Post Thanks / Like

Tony,
    Marcial asked me if I would be padrino of his wedding and then present his new wife to be to him and afterwards be Padrino to his child.when one comes along the way he explained it was I was responsible for the wedding and should look after his child if something were ever to happen to him or his wife.
    Someone at work said the translation to best man was the closest English translation...

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's great lilsam! Me and my husband are meant to be padrino and padrina at a wedding this summer, and I equate that to being best man and maid of honour - or like you said, the closest thing.

Santo Domingo Sammy
    Post Thanks / Like

Jane I too feel very honoured as this was a person I meet a very poor person who works at a chinese run Domincan Business hotel
    he works sometimes 12 14 hours a day for a salery of 2000.00$rd
    a month. I when around have kinda tried to help him. along . I even helped him with a house he built so this makes me feel special that he thinks enuff of me to ask me to do this.. Lil sam

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been asked to be padrino many times by various people. As far as I'm concerned, all it meant when I was asked was that I pay for the party. No thank you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree

Any time anyone ask me to be a "Padrino" it usually means some kind of monetary committement. No thank you!!

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it all depends on who's asking. Virtual strangers have asked me to be godmother to their children (they must be severely misinformed) and I have always politely declined.

This time it's my husband's best friend and his niece. Uh, that is to say my husband's niece, not the groom's. Hee hee. And we'll probably pay for a few cases of beer and rum, which will be our pleasure. (They're convertidos anyway...not big drinkers...Whew!)
    Last edited by Jane J.; 03-21-2002 at 11:15 PM.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

See http://dr1.com/living/customs.shtml and check out the links to Baptism and Weddings for more information on Dominican customs. Note that this content focuses on middle class and upper middle class social events.

There is such a thing as a best man, especially in larger weddings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast