Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donald Trump: Haiti is a '****hole' country

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Donald Trump: Haiti is a '****hole' country

The Donald has done it again, this time calling Haiti, El Salvador, and African countries '****holes' and making it clear that he wants people like Norweageans moving to the USA, not people from these countries.

A few quotes from the article:

President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they discussed protecting immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to several people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from ****hole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to countries mentioned by the lawmakers.

Trump then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries such as Norway, whose prime minister he met with Wednesday. The president, according to a White House official, also suggested he would be open to more immigrants from Asian countries because he felt they help the United States economically.
    Haiti is given special attention by Trump:

In addition, the president singled out Haiti, telling lawmakers that immigrants from that country must be left out of any deal, these people said.

“Why do we need more Haitians?” Trump said, according to people familiar with the meeting. “Take them out.”
    Republican Haitian-descended representative Mia Love:

Some Republicans also raised objections. Rep. Mia Love (R-Utah), whose family is from Haiti, said in a statement that Trump’s remarks were “unkind, divisive, elitist, and fly in the face of our nation’s values. This behavior is unacceptable from the leader of our nation.”
    Dominican politician in NY Adriano Espaillat:

“My grandmother used to say, ‘Digame con quién caminas, y te diré quién eres.’ ‘Tell me who you walk with, and I’ll tell you who you are,’ ” said Rep. Adriano Espaillat (D-N.Y.), who represents most of Harlem and is an immigrant from the Dominican Republic, which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. “If he’s walking around with white supremacists and supporting them, this kind of talk doesn’t surprise me.”
    Haiti's ambassador to the USA:

In a statement condemning Thursday’s remarks by Trump, Haiti’s ambassador to the United States, Paul G. Altidor, said that “the president was either misinformed or miseducated about Haiti and its people.” He said the Haitian Embassy was inundated with emails from Americans apologizing for what the president said.
    Democrats:

Democrats were quick to note that Trump employs Haitians at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida and that he praised Haitian Americans during a roundtable in Miami in September.
    Alex Desulme, city council member in North Miami:

Alix Desulme, a city council member in North Miami, home to thousands of Haitian Americans, said the president’s latest remarks were “disgusting.”

“Oh, my God. Oh, my God Jesus,” Desulme said. “I don’t know how much worse it can get.”

“This is very alarming. We know he’s not presidential, but this is a low,” he said. “It’s disheartening that someone who is the leader of the free world would use such demeaning language to talk about other folks, referring to folks of color.”
    The Washington Post - Trump derides protections for immigrants from ‘****hole’ countries
    Last edited by NALs; 01-12-2018 at 04:28 AM.
    Moderator Polls Forum

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe that Dominicans would be upset with this comment as everywhere I go I hear how much the Dominicans hate the Haitians. My dark Dominican wife can't stand the Haitians and when I asked her why she said because they're sooooo black... I thought to myself have you ever looked in the mirror and almost said something, but decided to keep my mouth shut. There is racism everywhere and especially in the DR against the Haitians. Trump said what a majority of Americans think which is why he has such a fevered support over there.

3. Likes melphis, billma90, sylindr, pelaut, jinty05 and 2 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Haiti might have not been such a shytehole if the Clintons and the other NGO's would have invested the millions and millions they received for helping the country. BUT THEY DIDN'T!!!!
    Haitian people are very nice people but the country is a shytehole and that's correct.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had the opportunity to meet many Haitians during the years I’ve wintered in the DR. They are some of the hardest working, honest, most creative people I had the pleasure to meet. In the face of constant adversity, they still smile and carry on. Frank is right. Their country is in a deplorable state due to natural disasters and corrupt governments but the Haitians can’t be faulted for that. The Haitians I know rise above that and get on with their lives. Those that have migrated to Canada are hard working, honest people, and contribute to our economy and culture. 

I’ve seen the animosity some Dominicans exhibit towards Haitians. I’ve noticed that the ones who show the most animosity are very poor, uneducated Dominicans who are angry with their lot in life and need something or somebody to complain about. A large number of the Dominicans I know are concerned about the plight of the Haitians and some even sympathize with them.
    Last edited by AlterEgo; 01-12-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Any post that doesn’t deal specifically with Haiti will be deleted, and from here on will incur infractions. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Go to the Trump thread in Off Topic for everything else

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

7. Likes DRob, CristoRey liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been saying Haiti is a sh*thole on this forum for years.
    The truth hurts.

9. Likes pkaide1, jd426, Garyexpat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We have about a dozen Haitian children attending our school and they are treated exactly the same as Dominican children, and they get along fine with each other. Several of the parents are not very fluent in Spanish but always bring someone to help. None of them are delinquent at paying school fees. All are legal residents, or have a work visa. In my experience the average Dominican is only worried about too many Haitians invading. We just had a second floor installed on a house plus a drainage system installed in the school yard and there was only one Haitian on both construction crew. Dominicans have no issues with working construction and they don't have issues working with Haitians either. Haitians are responsible for the state of their country regardless of anything the international community has done, both positively and negatively.

11. Likes cbmitch9, AnnaC, BigRoco, pelaut, mofongoloco and 3 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    I've been saying Haiti is a sh*thole on this forum for years.
    The truth hurts.
    last i checked, you are not the President of the USA. you can say it, and Larry can say it, and Joe Blow can say it. the leader of another country should know better than to say it.

13. Dislikes rfp, Garyexpat, K-Mel, jenmar237 disliked this post
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

what can i say, the truer words have never been spoken by a politician, a sh*thole it is. in related news, water is wet. he's just stating the facts.

North Coast Moderator

15. Dislikes ROLLOUT, K-Mel disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Haiti will not get out of the mess that they are in until people who mean well stop interfering in that country's politics. Haitians are not who the Dominicans should fear.

17. Likes Russell liked this post
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast