Latest on the El Prado Grand Hotel

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've got a super slow connection this morning, and haven't been able to locate the thread where we discussed the fate of the El Prado Grand Hotel on the Malecon (The abandoned unfinished tower on the Malecon near Ave. Maximo Gomez)

I'm sure everybody wonders what's happening with it. Although this doesn't mean much, it is interesting...

This came out in the news:

Court sentence Spanish businessman to pay RD $ 656 million in litis El Prado Grand Hotel

Santo Domingo.- The Attorney's Office of Pelegrín Castillo informed that the Civil and Commercial Chamber of the Court of Appeal of the Judicial Department of Santo Domingo issued Sentence No.545-2017 in which it condemned the well-known Spanish businessman Tomás Olivo and his company GGC Inversiones Inmobiliarias, SA to pay RD $ 656 million pesos in a lawsuit that for many years had kept the construction of El Prado Grand Hotel, located on George Washington Avenue, corner Máximo Gómez, paralyzed.

The decision of the Court dated November 14, 2017 establishes the execution of the purchase agreement of July 28, 2006, signed by El Prado Grand Hotel, S.A. and Arq. Víctor Pimentel Kareh, providing that Mr. Tomás Olivo López and GGC Inversiones Inmobiliarias, S.A. pay to El Prado Grand Hotel, S.A. and Mr. Víctor Eduardo Pimentel Kareh, US $ 11,546,545.49 US dollars.

https://telenoticias.com.do/corte-c...pagar-rd656-millones-litis-prado-grand-hotel/

Original:

Santo Domingo.- La oficina de Abogados de Pelegrín Castillo informó que la Cámara Civil y Comercial de la Corte de Apelación del Departamento Judicial de Santo Domingo dictó la Sentencia No.545-2017 mediante la cual condenó al conocido empresario español Tomás Olivo y a su empresa GGC Inversiones Inmobiliarias, S.A. a pagar RD$656 millones de pesos en una litis que por muchos años había mantenido paralizada la construcción de El Prado Grand Hotel, ubicado en la avenida George Washington esquina Máximo Gómez.

La decisión de la Corte de fecha 14 de noviembre de 2017 establece la ejecución del contrato de compraventa del 28 de julio de 2006, suscrito entre El Prado Grand Hotel, S.A. y el Arq. Víctor Pimentel Kareh, disponiendo que el señor Tomás Olivo López y GGC Inversiones Inmobiliarias, S.A. paguen a El Prado Grand Hotel, S.A. y al señor Víctor Eduardo Pimentel Kareh, US$11,546,545.49 dólares norteamericanos.

https://telenoticias.com.do/corte-c...pagar-rd656-millones-litis-prado-grand-hotel/

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hopefully something will begin to happen there now, but I ain't holding my breath.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hopefully something will begin to happen there now, but I ain't holding my breath.

i would love to see the demolition of that structure. somehow i cannot imagine using regular explosives, like in civilized countries. it would probably topple over on the malecon and the sea ;) i'd fully expect it to be brought down entirely by hand.