Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Experience of international delivery from chinese websites?

  1. #11
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    32,089
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sssank View Post
    This family had WiFi, when electricity was working

    I'm trying to keep positive about the people, it's kind of my rule about the world, if I'll be wrong, well, glad he enjoyed his brugal or picapollo
    listen to Tambo. if you hand it to him today, and check with him in a week, one of three things will have happened, in this order..

    1...it fell in the toilet.

    2...they stole it.

    3..it broke. the spanish phrase will be '' no sirve''.

  2. Likes JDJones liked this post
  3. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I consider, appreciate and respect your point.
    I'm not joking, I really do the previous.

    But I still prefer having faith in humanity. And if I would fail, I won't be poor for these 10k pesos. I'm not rich, and I work hard for them, but if I would fail in having faith, I'll just pay the price for the lesson learned.

    Not all the people are the same, and in the same way with which some people understood that I was not a standard gringo jumping to Dr for sick prostitution and brain-dead all-inclusive resorts, I would prefer giving to each individual his chance to be trusted.

  4. Likes lifeisgreat liked this post
  5. #13
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sssank View Post
    Dear all amazing people of Dominican Republic.

    I've enjoyed every second of my vacation there, spent with a huge family in a barrio of Santo Domingo.

    I loved the mood, the flow, the style, the smile, the positivity, the living of every single face I've been introduced too.

    Now, there was this guy, a kid let's say, whom every night was coming to the house of this family which was hosting me, they were providing him with food and a friendly environment, and he was happy even with his more than difficult life.

    He was highly passionated with music and every single night he was asking me to borrow him with my mobile for random YouTube bingewatching.

    I'd like to provide him with a mobile, I tried to have a look at the mobile stores when I was there but I noticed that everything was SO overpriced compared with European shops. Therefore I was thinking about using these popular Chinese shops I constantly use here in Europe, like Gearbest, or Bangood, they provide international shipping and everything worked very smoothly for Europe (obviously it takes 3wks which is really bad compared with the 1day delivery of Amazon, but still...). The same international shipping is available for Dominican republic.

    Do anyone of you have any experience with these websites so far? Will the package ever arrive at the door of this guy? I'm just asking cause we can agree with the fact that a lot of things there are really bad managed and even if it is the same shipping, it could work taking the European route but fail miserably taking the Caribbean one.

    I'm not particularly afraid of losing the money since with PayPal I'm 100% sure I would be reimbursed if the package would be lost, and I would give a try if it worth.
    You would need to ship it to yourself in the states and then send via UPS or Fedex to your family. It will cost you about $60 to ship. You should not have to pay any tax coming to you in the US or going to the DR because the item will be under $200.

  6. #14
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    31,506
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sssank View Post
    Dear all amazing people of Dominican Republic.

    I've enjoyed every second of my vacation there, spent with a huge family in a barrio of Santo Domingo.

    I loved the mood, the flow, the style, the smile, the positivity, the living of every single face I've been introduced too.

    Now, there was this guy, a kid let's say, whom every night was coming to the house of this family which was hosting me, they were providing him with food and a friendly environment, and he was happy even with his more than difficult life.

    He was highly passionated with music and every single night he was asking me to borrow him with my mobile for random YouTube bingewatching.

    I'd like to provide him with a mobile, I tried to have a look at the mobile stores when I was there but I noticed that everything was SO overpriced compared with European shops. Therefore I was thinking about using these popular Chinese shops I constantly use here in Europe, like Gearbest, or Bangood, they provide international shipping and everything worked very smoothly for Europe (obviously it takes 3wks which is really bad compared with the 1day delivery of Amazon, but still...). The same international shipping is available for Dominican republic.

    Do anyone of you have any experience with these websites so far? Will the package ever arrive at the door of this guy? I'm just asking cause we can agree with the fact that a lot of things there are really bad managed and even if it is the same shipping, it could work taking the European route but fail miserably taking the Caribbean one.

    I'm not particularly afraid of losing the money since with PayPal I'm 100% sure I would be reimbursed if the package would be lost, and I would give a try if it worth.
    I buy from GearBest & Banggood, but have items delivered to my EPS address.

    You could set the guy up with that, and give him the $$$ to pay for the shipping upon arrival.

    Problem is it sometimes takes 4-6 weeks for an item to be delivered. Thiose sites do not stock items, they are a drop-shopper.

  7. #15
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sssank View Post
    . And if I would fail, I won't be poor for these 10k pesos. .


    For 5K pesos , you can get a good used smartphone here in DR if you know where to look . If you are prepared to loose 10K pesos as "lesson" learned ...why not send the 5K pesos and ask his ( or the ) family to find a phone for him here ..and ..then see what happens . 

    This will save you the trouble and costs with the shipping from country to country ...( plus Aduana can be a big pain when it comes to mobile phones ) ...and you would learn the lesson for less if there is one to be learnt . If you get a positive outcome -please share . 

    We had a very similar experience in 2010 ...stayed with a family...the kid loved watching cartoon network on my ipad ...sent $150 usd to the family to buy him a small tablet (I know !) .........

  8. #16
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    533
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffness View Post
    For 5K pesos , you can get a good used smartphone here in DR if you know where to look .
    This is very true. I've purchased 5+ smart phones from second hand retailers for far less than 5k DOP (and have zero complaints of any of them), and to be honest I'm not quite sure what would those features be, that the boy might miss from a more expensive phone watching videos (apart from maybe larger screen)...

  9. #17
    No fui yo!
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,816
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sssank View Post
    Dear all amazing people of Dominican Republic.

    I've enjoyed every second of my vacation there, spent with a huge family in a barrio of Santo Domingo.

    I loved the mood, the flow, the style, the smile, the positivity, the living of every single face I've been introduced too.

    Now, there was this guy, a kid let's say, whom every night was coming to the house of this family which was hosting me, they were providing him with food and a friendly environment, and he was happy even with his more than difficult life.

    He was highly passionated with music and every single night he was asking me to borrow him with my mobile for random YouTube bingewatching.

    I'd like to provide him with a mobile, I tried to have a look at the mobile stores when I was there but I noticed that everything was SO overpriced compared with European shops. Therefore I was thinking about using these popular Chinese shops I constantly use here in Europe, like Gearbest, or Bangood, they provide international shipping and everything worked very smoothly for Europe (obviously it takes 3wks which is really bad compared with the 1day delivery of Amazon, but still...). The same international shipping is available for Dominican republic.

    Do anyone of you have any experience with these websites so far? Will the package ever arrive at the door of this guy? I'm just asking cause we can agree with the fact that a lot of things there are really bad managed and even if it is the same shipping, it could work taking the European route but fail miserably taking the Caribbean one.

    I'm not particularly afraid of losing the money since with PayPal I'm 100% sure I would be reimbursed if the package would be lost, and I would give a try if it worth.
    Go on Corotos and get him a cheap one (less than $50) with no bells and whistles - here's an example: https://www.corotos.com.do/santo_dom...4g_9045528.htm

    You can feel good about yourself (we've all done things to help others) and if you do come back some day just expect he won't have it for some reason or another, and he will request a replacement - only newer with a bigger screen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •