Current situation regarding illegal Haitians

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Can someone give an update? Is the government still trying to deport the illegal immigrants or did they back down?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Can someone give an update? Is the government still trying to deport the illegal immigrants or did they back down?

Yeah, it's real. They are constantly combing poor neighborhoods in Puerto Plata for Hatians without papers.

It's been holding up a number of construction projects that often spring to life after 6 on Fridays when the immigration folks head home.

Also, there's a thriving business going which is a sort of insurance that is paid weekly, but guarentees a trip back to Puerto Plata from the frontier with Haiti. Round trip is about a week.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
So they're deporting them but not doing anything to stop them from reentering?

They try. I've never seen the border, but I hear it's not well guarded in a lot of areas.

Anyways that "boomerang bus" has been delivering on their insurance policies. It's good advertising.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Do you think the government is genuinely trying to stop illegal immigration or only pretending to try in order to help dirty businesses?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
ex used to live in dajabon. Seen em come and go at will with no apparent checks. Of course, this could have been the "market day".

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Do you think the government is genuinely trying to stop illegal immigration or only pretending to try in order to help dirty businesses?

I think they are making an honest attempt at enforcing their immigration laws. At least, some are.

People that you meet honestly want the Haitians deported. They are seen as dirty and everything wrong with their country. Diseased, infesting unfinished buildings, dark skinned. If you walk through some neighborhoods, the unfinished buildings are like a dystopian world with timid people hiding and peaking out behind make shift curtains.

But, their cheap labor is a boon to the economy.

I think the politicos are caught in the middle. The people have the votes but the business interests have the campaign donations. You end up with this farce of deportations balanced by illegal immigration. It's a human drama played out in many countries.

Just my opinion based on observation. I'm no authority on the subject.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Yes, they instituted the new residency regulations a couple of years ago just to be able to legally enforce this action. Haitians can't get documentation, so can't go through the process.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, they instituted the new residency regulations a couple of years ago just to be able to legally enforce this action. Haitians can't get documentation, so can't go through the process.

Not true, lots of Haitians have obtained their documentation and have gone through the process, but yes the new regulations do help them separate the legal from the illegal.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We were at the Jimani border on Wednesday, and two DGM yellow busses frog-marched maybe 50 Haitians across the border.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
ex used to live in dajabon. Seen em come and go at will with no apparent checks. Of course, this could have been the "market day".
There is more leinancy on market day. However, the check point inspectiions are much more rigorous on those days. In Jimani, the first being just down the only road from the border.

Howeever, those inspections do not catch those rumbling through the underbrush to get around the border and military check points.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Not true, lots of Haitians have obtained their documentation and have gone through the process, but yes the new regulations do help them separate the legal from the illegal.

Yes, some of them have papers not most of those coming across borders illegally. The DR has the absolute right to enforce their immigration policy, which is designed to make the process difficult for those from Haiti, who have a hard time getting the documentation and have little resources to complete the process.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, some of them have papers not most of those coming across borders illegally. The DR has the absolute right to enforce their immigration policy, which is designed to make the process difficult for those from Haiti, who have a hard time getting the documentation and have little resources to complete the process.

The Dominican immigration process is difficult for people from any country. I know, I 've been through and am now Dominican. When I did my citizenship ceremony there were more about 6 or 7 Haitians also receiving their Dominican citizenship.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

I think that the government wants to stop illegal immigration, but corrupt border officials are thwarting their efforts.