Earrings LADIES ONLY

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today I read this NY Times article about a Latina and her hoop earrings

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

It started me thinking, mostly because hoops are my favorite earrings, and have been since I was a girl.  I never equated them with Hispanics, because Italian women have worn them forever.  Anyway......

When our daughter was born, her godfather (Mr AEs brother) bought her a tiny pair of diamond stud earrings.  Very pretty.  I put them away in my jewelry box.  A few months later, Mr AE casually asked me when I was going to pierce her ears.  I was taken aback at the time, because it has never crossed my mind. My Sicilian grandfather forbade his daughters to pierce their ears, my mom was 22 when she had hers done, and after begging for a couple of years, she let me pierce mine when I was 11. Now that I think about it, it was a year after Grandpa died.  So, I told Mr AE if he wanted her ears pierced, he’d have to take her himself. I thought that would be the end of it. He bundled her into the car, set off for the mall, went to Piercing Pagoda, and held her on his lap while they pierced her tiny ears.  

Our first granddaughter is a year old, and (horror!) I asked if they are going to pierce her ears.  It will be her choice later, and I’m okay with that.  

What’s your experience with Dominican little girls?  Do they still pierce infants?  

And are hoops only for latinas and black women?  

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My parents both come from families where baby girls' ears were traditionally pierced in the first few days after birth (Sephardic Jewish), but my dad, a paediatrician, was against it. As a tomboy I was very happy not to have pierced ears during childhood but I did get them pierced at 17, two in each ear in a half-arsed concession to the punk era, followed by a short-lived nose piercing when I was about 20. My sister had her ears pierced at 14.

If I'd had a daughter I wouldn't have had her ears pierced at birth and would have let her decide once she was old enough. I know via friends' experience here that it would have raised many an eyebrow, with comments like: "how will people know she's a girl" and even "how will she know she's a girl".

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I had mine pierced (just one in each ear) when I was about 15 I think. My step granddaughter (Dominican) had hers done at a few days old. I think here they still do it early - will have to watch out for the hoops - I can't remember what people wear here! I also had in mind that it helps with vision - and this article appears to confirm it http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseas...m-7-things-you-didnt-know-about-ear-piercing/

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'd never heard the "hoops are only for Black/Latina women" thing. Everywhere I've lived (N & S Europe, Middle East, Latin America, Caribbean) all kinds of women wear them, but they've gone in and out of fashion.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Lets see....I think I was about 15 before I got mine done and then let the hole close. I did not like pierced ears at the time. Got them done again when I was in my late 20's. All my spouses family (children) seemed to have them pierced as soon as they popped out of the womb. I am all for letting one decide on their own if they want their ears pierced. Never really thought of hoop earrings being associated with "Latins/Black women" As Chiri, I have seen women from every race wear them. To this day I am still not much of a earring person. Have a number of beautiful earrings, I just do not wear them often.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I honestly can't remember what Dominicanas wear on their ears. I love earrings so I'm not sure why I've never noticed. Funny, last night I was sorting my costume jewlery and came across many pairs of hoops. I put some aside to give away or throw out because I hardly ever wear them. I always thought I looked too much like Mamma Bravo. :laugh: not that there's anything wrong with looking like someone who's picture was used for great Italian food products. :)

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
What earrings do local women wear? Whatever! It depends on your taste and/or the occasion.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
My daughter came home from the hospital with her ears pierced. Small hoops. I worried she might get her finger stuck in one and pull it out but there has never been a problem or an infection. She's ten now.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I remember it being a MAJOR discussion with Regina L. OBM about getting permission to have my ears pierced when I was 15. And she made me go to the doctor to get it done. I later added an additional pierce in my left ear, to draw attention away from a bump on the right side of my nose. (See? You never noticed it!)

I think pierced ears are really cute on little babies, but I probably wouldn't have done it had Beloved Son been a girl.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I looooove big earrings (it's cultural, see below). I am in love with gold earrings, i think it complements my complexion perfectly, lol. I honestly feel naked without earrings, I can count the number of times I stepped out my house without.I hope to be burried with earrings.

I Don't think it s a latina or Black thing, because I can have an orgasm just looking at East Indian earrings (and jewelry in general), and they always have tons of hoops.

Hoops are just classics, they will NEVER go out of style.

Outside of earrings, I rarely wear any other jewelry (necklaces and so on).

My daughter had her ears pierced before she could walk of course.:bandit:

fulani-11.jpg

Last edited:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I had this gringo bf who once got me a pair of earrings for my bday. He told me the story of how he went to Macy's, found a hispanic employee, and asked him what kind of earrings latinas liked.The employee , who was Mexican, told him we liked big, flashy, colorful earrings. While I treasured them because he gave them to me, I felt a little upset that he asked a stranger what I liked. lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I looooove big earrings (it's cultural, see below). I am in love with gold earrings, i think it complements my complexion perfectly, lol. I honestly feel naked without earrings, I can count the number of times I stepped out my house without.I hope to be burried with earrings.

I'm with you Aida, I've worn earrings every day of my life, never leave home without them. Always gold, except in DR, silver there. All my gold stays home, I don't look for trouble. When I was about 30, I added a second piercing, and caught hell from Mr. AE, who definitely did not approve. It did surprise me, because he's not the type to normally have opinions about things like that, so I assume it was a Dominican thing. Because I have a slight defiant streak, I did wear studs in the 2nd hole for awhile, I'm sure they're closed by now.

I was also told years ago that Dominicanas do not wear ankle bracelets unless they're putas. ?????? I presume times have changed with that.

My mother was the same way, and yes, I made sure she was wearing a pair when I said goodbye to her, so I hope that you have your wish too.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I really, really dislike jewellery in general on babies and children because it looks so fcuking tacky. Pierced ears are even worse because babies have no say in the matter, as well as the minor health/safety issue.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I allowed my boys to make their own decision about earrings :laugh: The fad must be over because it's been years since either one sported any.