parrot?

Namara

Dec 1, 2017
hi everyone,

i am looking for a parrot to buy as a pet. Actually i am looking for a caique parrot but another amazone parrot would do also. does anyone know how to get it in DR? i wanted to buy one in holland and then import but i heard it is very difficult and mayb not even allowed. so if anyone has a contact for me i'd really appreciate it :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can bring one here. I knew a guy had 4 African Parrots he brought from Belgium. But how he achieved this I don't know. And he has since left the DR so I can't find out. I would consult with one of the pet stores in SD.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Please leave them where they are.

Why keep a parrot in a cage, sorry to say but I feel sorry for them.

hi everyone,

i am looking for a parrot to buy as a pet. Actually i am looking for a caique parrot but another amazone parrot would do also. does anyone know how to get it in DR? i wanted to buy one in holland and then import but i heard it is very difficult and mayb not even allowed. so if anyone has a contact for me i'd really appreciate it :)

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I saw a documentary just last week about parrots of the Amazon. I did not know they can live 85 years and they mate for life. If you get one stolen from its nest and imported, it may imprint on you and you become its mate for life. What happens when you die? The documentary said that most of the birds available now in the US are rescue i.e. the owner died or abandoned the bird. I suppose you can contact one of those rescue organizations and see if they can help you find the right bird for you and import it to the DR?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you do get a parrot make sure you get as large a cage as possible and let it out of the cage often. Parrots require a lot of care and attention - a lot more than a dog or cat. Be prepared. They are not for everyone.

Namara

Dec 1, 2017
hi everyone,

thanks for the replies!
i had a parrot once, so i know how to take care of them. i don't keep them in a cage, only at night to sleep or when i am out for their own safety. i will try to contact jorge and let you know.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
You can probably bring one with you from American on flights. Flights allow pets now but I do not know if you have to bring it back with you on the return flight. Just in case someone is looking for a more exotic type. I have a couple of parakeets in the states.