Teaching in the Dominican Republic

William Carey

Mar 21, 2002
I am thinking of relocating from the cold north to the Dominican Republic. I have a Master's degree in Guidance and a degree in German. I have taught ESL classes, German, art, and been a guidance counselor. I have also taken French and Italian. Would someone be kind enough to tell me how I could get a list of English speaking private schools? I would also appreciate some insight as to what I may expect in the teaching field. I am extremely versatile and have also done my own guitar solos.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
See http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml#Schools

for a list of private schools.

The best time to apply is now. You have specific skills that are in demand. You should be able to find a job if you were in the DR and had local references.
The fact that you are abroad, makes things more difficult.

Note, though, that the best teaching jobs are at Carol Morgan School, especially when hired from abroad.

Otherwise, your pay in the DR will be only enough to barely make ends meet and you will probably need to supplement your income with additional work.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
A friend of mine had contacted the American School of Santo Domingo and I think they were looking for Grade 2 and 3 teachers for social studies. They would pay health, eye, and dental insurance and your daily transportation fees. Also they are hiring now, I was also interested in applying however they would want an face-to-face interview. So unless you're there within the next month, there is little chance they will hire anyone for the 2002/2003 school year.
I am curious to know that since it is an American school what would an average teachers salary be?

MrBean

Mar 24, 2002
Carol Morgan Hiring

I have a kid at CMS. They hire 2 ways: 1) hire internationally through teacher "job fairs". These international hires get paid pretty well, have thier housing supplied, etc. 2) hire locally. The local hires get paid local wages and receive few benefits (eg housing). The trick, I think, is to get yourself carried by one of the international teacher "suppliers". I guess they are like agents. Good luck!