DR1 Motorcyclists: An Exceptional Motorcycle Maintenance Learning Experience

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have found that while many riders have the skills to use hand tools, they often don't have the knowledge---and confidence---to do many motorcycle maintenance tasks themselves for fear of expensive screw ups. Been there, have the T-Shirt.

Maybe we can help you save thousands of future dollars on your bike with the knowledge the work was done properly. We all know how expensive taking your beloved scoot to a shop can be, not to mention the uncertain quality of the work.

MotoCaribe is offering a one-of-a-kind tour that combines an 8-Day North Coast Tour with two solid days of teaching hands-on motorcycle maintenance.

I'm offering the maintenance part to DR1ers. You do not have to do the tour.

The location will be in Jarabacoa at Camp Moto.

The tour dates: April 29 - May 8. The tech portions will be Mon. April 30 and Tues. May 1 from 9am-5+pm, as long as folks want to learn.

Besides yours truly and MotoCaribe helper Junior Rodriguez, the course will be taught by my long-time motersickel friend Steve Loster, the single best motorcycle tech I have ever known and currently service manager at a large KTM/Kawasaki/Triumph dealership in Tuscan AZ. Steve came down last spring to do some teaching and work with us and I discovered that not only is his knowledge and skill off-the-charts, he is an incredible teacher.

vYZb3k.jpg

We will take two V-Strom DL650 and go front to back doing a complete inspection, service and renewal of all systems of the bike to like-new specs. The group will learn the maintenance items on the first day and actually do all the service items themselves on the second day under our watchful eyes.

You will learn the following maintenance tasks:
  • Brake Maintenance: Front & Rear
  • Brake pad change
  • Brake fluid change/flush.
  • Steering and triple tree adjustment
  • Steering bearing inspection and renewal
  • Front and rear alignment
  • Replacing fork seals & fork oil
  • Coolant change
  • Starter switch maintenance
  • Cable maintenance
  • Chassis lubrication
  • Chain maintenance and adjustment
  • Engine valve check and valve shim math and replacement
  • Fuel pump low-pressure filter screen replacement
  • External fuel filter bypass modification
  • Headlight ignition switch bypass modification
  • Tire change
  • How to use a torque wrench
The cost will be minimal and will include lunch each day. We can arrange two nights high-end hotel with the other attendees for excellent camaraderie, or more modest hotel accommodations in Jarabacoa within walking distance of Camp Moto. I state two nights because you will need to be at Camp Moto early each morning, so we suggest coming to Jarabacoa the night before.

I offer this as a "public service" for the DR1 community.

If you're interested in this exceptional learning experience drop an email to rcooper (at) motocaribe.com.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That sounds very cool!

I do most of my own bike maintenance, but would still be at the front of the line for this course if I was in the DR.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
That is a fantastic deal. I will definitely reccomend this to my friend who just bought a 2017 KTM 390 Duke in Santo Domingo. I just bought the new 2017 KTM 690 Duke R.

Were you in Barahona last week? Three Suzuki V-Strom's passed me near Casa Bonita on, i believe, Wednesday. I was heading to the Larimar mine.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
That is a fantastic deal. I will definitely reccomend this to my friend who just bought a 2017 KTM 390 Duke in Santo Domingo. I just bought the new 2017 KTM 690 Duke R.

Were you in Barahona last week? Three Suzuki V-Strom's passed me near Casa Bonita on, i believe, Wednesday. I was heading to the Larimar mine.
Yes we were.

Have your buddy with the red V-Strom contact me of he'd like his bike to be one of the demos we put to OEM maintenance specs. All he'd pay is parts.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Yes we were.

Have your buddy with the red V-Strom contact me of he'd like his bike to be one of the demos we put to OEM maintenance specs. All he'd pay is parts.

I thought so. I was with two other guys, but they were still back at the hotel. One guy, Frank W, was driving a red Suzuki V-strom, the other guy, Mike, was on a new KTM 390 Duke. I was on a 690 Duke. I was heading east, you guys were heading west. It was three grey & black V-Stroms that passed me.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Bump.

The Tech sessions are Monday April 30 and Tuesday May 1 in Jarabacoa, one week from today. Sessions are 8:30am-5:30pm whth lunch and snacks provided.

We have a large number of atendees including professional motorcycle maintenance techs from the capital to get some formal motorcycle training.

Rooms that include breakfast and dinner are available at good rates for overnighters.

Drop me a PM if you want to up your moto wrench-twisting skilz.