Import tax

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Is %18 tax on total price or on everything over $200.
Robert

I have paid as much as 80% import tax on various goods. It all depends upon the commodity .
I sent some costume jewelry through Puerto Plata once and the tax was over $500.oo The goods valued at $320.oo factory direct from USA.
I felt it was a shake down so I told them to keep the goods... give it to their girlfriends.
Only no tax if under $200. is non commercial. If commercial it is taxed.

Other than that it is shooting ducks with a blindfold on.

Russell

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Is %18 tax on total price or on everything over $200.
Robert

You may be confusing the VAT (value added tax) with consumption tax for luxury imports into the DR. VAT is basically a sales tax on consumer goods purchased in the DR. The consumption taxes are customs and import taxes on items imported into the country that are valued at over $200us. If you buy an item over the internet and it's value is over the $200us than DR customs can determine a value on the item and tax you accordingly. This could add as much as 30% or more to value that you will pay an import duty on. Hopefully that answers your question.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you want to import something over $200, just get a fixed price door to door quote from one of the many shipping companies. Then you know ahead of time what it will cost. Otherwise, your results may vary each time you ship something similar.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Has anyone ordered a ipad from states

Import taxes differ by type of merchandise.  18% is the ITBIX (similar to VAT).  In addition, there are two import taxes in the DR, gravamen and impuesto selectivo.

Here's an older article with a table of duty taxes by type of merchandise, for electronics only.  I'm pretty certain these still apply.  http://www.chozadigital.com/guia-impuestos-de-articulos-de-comun-importacion-actualizado/
 e
If you ordered an iPad over 600$ what did you pay in tax.???
Robert

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I bought an inexpensive tablet from Amazon. BM Cargo told me that for tablets there is no tax of any kind under $200. I didn't pay anything. OVer $200 they told me I would have to pay 18% on the total value.

The taxes, import fees, ect vary depending of the type of merchandise you are bringing in.