Residency without returning to States

affald

May 17, 2004
A friend who has been in the DR 3.5 years says he found a lawyer who can get him residency without requiring him to return to USA.

Can this be true?

Disclaimer... Same guy that says he was getting 15% interest, turned out to be 7.5%.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Promises are easy to make. Your friend may well find that that some of the requirements may be skirted, but others cannot. Usually you learn this well into the process when your paperwork gets help up because something is lacking - you then have no choice but to pay extra and jump through additional hoops to fix the problem.

The residency process is supposed to begin in your home country by getting a visa for the specific purpose of applying for residency. You are supposed to show this visa to immigration who enter into their computers the purpose of your visit being to apply for residency.

Later on in the process someone checks all your documents, apostilles, dates etc. Problems at this stage usually means having to get new documents to replace those that are not acceptable. For some this means a trip home to get finger printed or apply for a more current document in person.

I'm not saying the offer made to your friend is not possible but it could be problematic. For something as important and lasting as residency, it may be more prudent to follow the rules and the processes and not run the risk of getting caught up in a paper chase or finding your residency invalidated at a later date for procedural irregularities. Trust me, this is something you only want to do once. :)

Like buying a Rembrandt only to find out sometime later that it is not what it appears to be and is in fact quite useless. Residency is the foundation upon which your life here is built. If the foundation is not secure, neither is all that it supports.

affald

May 17, 2004
Promises are easy to make. Your friend may well find that that some of the requirements may be skirted, but others cannot. Usually you learn this well into the process when your paperwork gets help up because something is lacking - you then have no choice but to pay extra and jump through additional hoops to fix the problem.

The residency process is supposed to begin in your home country by getting a visa for the specific purpose of applying for residency. You are supposed to show this visa to immigration who enter into their computers the purpose of your visit being to apply for residency.

Later on in the process someone checks all your documents, apostilles, dates etc. Problems at this stage usually means having to get new documents to replace those that are not acceptable. For some this means a trip home to get finger printed or apply for a more current document in person.

I'm not saying the offer made to your friend is not possible but it could be problematic. For something as important and lasting as residency, it may be more prudent to follow the rules and the processes and not run the risk of getting caught up in a paper chase or finding your residency invalidated at a later date for procedural irregularities. Trust me, this is something you only want to do once. :)

Like buying a Rembrandt only to find out sometime later that it is not what it appears to be and is in fact quite useless. Residency is the foundation upon which your life here is built. If the foundation is not secure, neither is all that it supports.
Thank you! So that initial visa is traditionally done in your home country?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Part of the required paperwork submitted with a residency application is a photocopy of every page in the applicant's passport. I am sure at some point someone looks at those photocopies looking for the residency visa.

Yes, the residency visa is the first step and is done in the applicants home country. If the applicant qualifies for the residency visa, then it can be assumed that the applicant will also qualify for residency after formally applying in Santo Domingo.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I am not sure, but I think there may be certain exceptions to starting the process in one's home country, such as the property owner's residency.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There was a period 4 years ago or so where amnesty was granted to those in the country who chose to apply for residency without returning to their home country.

Does anyone know if the amnesty has been extended, or exceptions granted?

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Hey guys,
I got mine without going home 3 years ago when they opened up the scheme to get everyone legal status in the country (can remember the name. Its a bit of a round about way of doing it but I got mine (no going home, no blood test or X-rays etc). The first year you just get a non resident visa in your passport - then I got a call saying I could go and get my cedula. (a year after that I went to get my temp residency...)

Its so easy to do and basically free (apart from photos and photocopies). I just heard this program has been opened up again for a few months! I think you had to of been living here for over 2 years or so but if you are looking to get your residency now is the time to apply!
Chris

affald

May 17, 2004
Hey guys,
I got mine without going home 3 years ago when they opened up the scheme to get everyone legal status in the country (can remember the name. Its a bit of a round about way of doing it but I got mine (no going home, no blood test or X-rays etc). The first year you just get a non resident visa in your passport - then I got a call saying I could go and get my cedula. (a year after that I went to get my temp residency...)

Its so easy to do and basically free (apart from photos and photocopies). I just heard this program has been opened up again for a few months! I think you had to of been living here for over 2 years or so but if you are looking to get your residency now is the time to apply!
Chris
I did not know they reopened that program. Is there a thread or a link about this reopening?

What lawyer is currently the most recommended?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The PNRE plan is closed. A lot of people that entered the plan got a carnet or a visa in their passports. Those were all expiring last August, so DGM extended the expiration for one year(Aug 2018) for those who are already in the plan. DGM is not accepting any more people into the plan.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There's no approved legal path to apply for residency here. In the DR, with the right connections and money, anything is possible.

If a lawyer claims he can do it, I would suggest you speak to a client you can trust that actually got residency w/o going back to you home country for the residency visa from the DR consulate there.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Close

It's called the National Foreigner Regularization Plan

Btw that program ended in 2015

It did but I have heard they have opened it up again for a few months - it might be called something else but it is possible now

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
The PNRE plan is closed. A lot of people that entered the plan got a carnet or a visa in their passports. Those were all expiring last August, so DGM extended the expiration for one year(Aug 2018) for those who are already in the plan. DGM is not accepting any more people into the plan.

Well I got my temporary residency through that plan... just saying my experience thats all. I was there last week to pick up my temporary residency card - I was told the plan was open again for a few months... I have a friend who is starting the process.
I could have misunderstood but thats what I was told - feel free to check it out for yourself. I have no interest either way just letting people know

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It did but I have heard they have opened it up again for a few months - it might be called something else but it is possible now

They extended the expiration date of the carnets and visas for those ALREADY in the plan. DGM put out a notice and said specifically they are not accepting any more.

They already have about 280,000 in the plan that, while they have a "legal status" and some even have a cedula, they do not yet have residency and DGM has no idea what to do other than to "extend and pretend".

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
They extended the expiration date of the carnets and visas for those ALREADY in the plan. DGM put out a notice and said specifically they are not accepting any more.

They already have about 280,000 in the plan that, while they have a "legal status" and some even have a cedula, they do not yet have residency and DGM has no idea what to do other than to "extend and pretend".

Well I think we will have to just disagree on this one - I was in the plan - I have got my temporary residency now - not an extension. As I said this is new... I went to pick it up last week (and yes I have had a cedula before that for a year). No extend and pretend... 

What they say and do doesn't always match...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well I think we will have to just disagree on this one - I was in the plan - I have got my temporary residency now - not an extension. As I said this is new... I went to pick it up last week (and yes I have had a cedula before that for a year). No extend and pretend... 

Yes, some people have received their cedulas. Did you get a residency card?

There are about 250,000 Haitians in the plan that still don't have the documents required to get residency. Some of them don't have birth certificates and some can't even prove who they really are.

DGM doesn't know what to do about it, so they've extended it for one more year to give these people time to get the required documents.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

There are about 250,000 Haitians in the plan that still don't have the documents required to get residency. Some of them don't have birth certificates and some can't even prove who they really are.

DGM doesn't know what to do about it, so they've extended it for one more year to give these people time to get the required documents.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012

Yes I received my residency card. I did hand all my paperwork in so thats probably why. The people that are stuck in limbo will be the people like you said (without birth certificates etc).  

Honestly I was pulling my hair out about applying for residency with everything that was needed.. If it is true and they have opened it up again then do not hesitate - it doesn't cost anything to ask!